UConn-Villanova postgame | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn-Villanova postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN has 3 pg's that are better than her. I don;t agree that she couldn't have been worse. Geno praised teh Defense which means the freshmen weren't all that bad. But if anything io Ice could have seen more time and even Q even though she got some time.
Please enlighten me as to where you get your information. I can't be from watching her play, since she never gets the chance. Everyone needs those valuable in-game minutes to get better. She may not be as basketball gifted as Ash, KK or Q, but she knows the plays, works hard and is fit. Reasonable logic would be to use her to relieve them when they get tired or play awful which they did yesterday. We are now a 2 person team with the hardest part of the season still to go. There have been several opportunities to use her in the last few weeks against lesser competition and with the BE championship in hand. The team is out of gas and it can get worse. Just sayin...

Reaction Score
She's lucky she didn't get T'd up, twice. She mouthed off at Olsen, after Olsen got called for a foul.And she got in Dalce's face, after the Dalce-Edwards encounter. The cool,calm Paige has really become much more demonstrative. I prefer the cool, calm Paige.
Olsen was bumping her the entire game. I’m not surprised she reacted. Calls were very uneven in this game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Olsen was bumping her the entire game. I’m not surprised she reacted. Calls were very uneven in this game.
UConn was called for 13 fouls, Villanova was called for 19

Reaction Score
1--- Refs were awful the 3 qtrs I saw. How that play on the sideline wasn’t called a foul with Edwards and their big kid was pretty mind-boggling. Why did the Nova center even bother with screening Aaliyah from the ball? Why not just put her in a bear bug then throw her to the ground?

2-- I missed the 3rd qtr will go back and see but the 1st half frustrated Paige wasn't shooting more. In the 4th qtr Nova had no hope to stop her just like the 1st half. . Paige just has to shoot. Win or lose- just shoot.

3-- KK and Ashlynn have had wall crash into them which is expected for freshmen.

4-- Aliyah hit a wall tonight . Not a crushing one-- but she missed point blank shots- imo because she was spent.

5-- Q is so much fun to watch. If you call her a microwave - yet even the microwave is like an icebox compared to her game the moment she steps on the floor. Come hell or high water that player is gonna fire up that shot . . .- and the next . . . and the next and she probably still may feel she isn't getting enough touches. -- j/k.

6--- IMO Ice didn’t play because this was a God-Awful matchup vs Nova. Though maybe she should have gotten 5 or so competitive minutes. But Ice is not quick - so having her defend this type of team with all the movement - Geno may have thought she would have struggled.
Totally agree on the sideline take down of Edwards. Geno’s history is to not play someone when he’s sending a message. Especially if he’s not happy with their practice. Could be the case with Ice.

Reaction Score
Now I am sure Geno has some type of problem with Ines. This was a perfect opportunity to use her in a game where none of the freshman were playing well and Nika went out. She certainly couldn't have done any worse. She is fast and a good defender and knows the plays, so...?
In the presser, Geno talked about teaching her that there are other great ways to contribute and earn increased playing time besides shooting.

Reaction Score
Please enlighten me as to where you get your information.
If you are going to act in the manner you are doing then what's the point? I was expressing an opinion. Just are you expressed opinions why you think she shoulkl play more. If you want to engage in conversation - fine. The 1st sentence you replied to me imo shows you don't. Why be this way?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a game with Vill who is guard oriented, Q is the better option than Ice. I'm still perplexed as to why Ines didn't get some minutes when Vill had some subs in.

Ice to me is in a mental conflict with herself. She is not quick enough right now to play the game she wants to play and unwilling to have a real conversation with herself and just play exclusively down low until she gets her conditioning in order. It will probably take the off season for her to get fully in shape after the injury year.
One of the more astute posts
What’s surprising I’d that ice has not shot the ball better
Probably lack of confidence

Reaction Score
At one point in the first half Paige gave Olsen a two-hander to the chest, knocking her back. No call. Why do people here only see UConn players getting roughed up? I call it the "Culmo" effect.

Reaction Score
In a game with Vill who is guard oriented, Q is the better option than Ice. I'm still perplexed as to why Ines didn't get some minutes when Vill had some subs in.

Ice to me is in a mental conflict with herself. She is not quick enough right now to play the game she wants to play and unwilling to have a real conversation with herself and just play exclusively down low until she gets her conditioning in order. It will probably take the off season for her to get fully in shape after the injury year.
Brady isn't just going out there and playing where she prefers. She's playing right where Auriemma puts her. That's in the place her position calls for in the offensive system based on what the particular set calls for. For instance, even if Shade preferred playing inside you don't ever see her posting anyone up on the block because it's not what the offense is designed to have her position do. Brady is playing where and when she's supposed to within the play called.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • First off, credit to Denise Dillon for putting together a solid game plan and to Nova for playing really hard.
  • It’s a good thing UConn continues to play strong defense, because the team has hit a bit of a tough patch offensively. The execution is a bit ragged, and the Huskies have missed a bunch of open shots and layups.
  • Paige has picked up the scoring load, frequently by taking the ball at the top of the key or on the wing and driving into the lane to either score, get to the foul line or both. I would rather see more balanced scoring in the flow of the offense, but if Paige has to score 31 for UConn to win, so be it.
  • Yes, the 4th foul on Paige for boxing out was absolute BS, and the 3rd wasn’t a whole lot better. With both Paige & Nika together on the bench, UConn is just not the same team.
  • It was a long night for the leading scorer in the Big East. Lucy Olsen was 0-7 in the first half and 2/16 for the game. :eek: Credit to Nika, Paige, KK and the rest of the Huskies for getting in her grill all game.
  • Pretty uneven game until the last 5 to 6 minutes, when the Huskies really hit the accelerator at both ends of the court.
  • I’ll take an ugly win every day of the week. :cool:
  • Congratulations to UConn for their 30th conference title. I hope to be around for the next 30. ;)
The test of our potential; at some point, in some game, one ( or more ) of ASH, KK or Q will make two shots in a row. I have watched in the last several games, and it no longer happens. They hit a three and then miss a ten footer; they make a lay up, then miss an open three. It doesn't matter what the made shot was, and it doesn't matter if they don't take another shot for an entire quarter. Not one of them ever makes two shots in a row. ( they did earlier in the season ). Maybe it is the freshman wall. They are playing well in many aspects of the game ( defense, rebounding, ball security etc ), but they have failed to " get hot" on offense ( e.g. hitting two or more shots in a row. ). I don't even include ICE in this coverage because her playing time has been pretty sporadic lately. I was surprised ( not happily ) by her lack of playing time yesterday.

Reaction Score
Why don't the coaches see this and adjust the playing time? With so many fouls being called, there was plenty to time to sub in and out. Our players need to see early that a game is being closely called. Would like to have our players and coaching staff make better in game changes. Hope we can cut down on turnovers often caused by being stripped or loose ball handling. Our sloppiness prevents any sustained runs and is head scratching at this point in the season.
We are better on paper than on the court with a few exceptions like Paige.
freshler40- - -With the injuries being what they are there isn't a heck of a lot Geno can do to give the starters enough rest!
The only player besides Ice, and Q is Ines but Geno won't give her enough minutes to help out!
Ice is the only real big sub and Q is the only in between sub and Ines is the only possible G sub!

Reaction Score
Brady isn't just going out there and playing where she prefers. She's playing right where Auriemma puts her. That's in the place her position calls for in the offensive system based on what the particular set calls for. For instance, even if Shade preferred playing inside you don't ever see her posting anyone up on the block because it's not what the offense is designed to have her position do. Brady is playing where and when she's supposed to within the play called.
But she doesn't have to shoot from there, she can work the offense more and then roll to a higher percentage shot position.

Reaction Score
freshler40- - -With the injuries being what they are there isn't a heck of a lot Geno can do to give the starters enough rest!
The only player besides Ice, and Q is Ines but Geno won't give her enough minutes to help out!
Ice is the only real big sub and Q is the only in between sub and Ines is the only possible G sub!
I know you are angry with me - I'm sorry about that - we agree on a lot of stuff over the years- but in the Nova game and overall why Ines over Q and Brady? If Q got 14 minutes, why not play her more? Overall the team lacks height and / or rebounding. They can use the size that Brady brings and the athletcism that Q brings. Unless you or anyone thinks Ines is better than them? I know Ines has some good qualiites but is she going to help more than what Brady and Q bring vs what the team already has?

In this game vs Nova why would you have played Ines over Q? The minutes you give Q- the more minutes others can rest.
And why not Brady more? The same with Brady - the more minutes you give her, others can rest.

I can't see why Q and Brady didn't get more minutes over Ines. I'm hoping this doesn't make me a bad guy. We heard Geno speak of the Offense too- well aren't both Q and Brady better Offensively? SO why not play the better bench players that are combo better for athletcicism/rebounding/height and Offense?

WHy does it have to be Ines vs the two players above who didn't play that much last night?

Reaction Score
But she doesn't have to shoot from there, she can work the offense more and then roll to a higher percentage shot position.
She does that 90% of the time. It’s not her fault they can’t get the ball inside to her. She only averages about 1 shot a game from beyond 15 feet and she has to take those shots to make the defense move and cover her.

Reaction Score
In this game vs Nova why would you have played Ines over Q? The minutes you give Q- the more minutes others can rest.
And why not Brady more? The same with Brady - the more minutes you give her, others can rest.

I can't see why Q and Brady didn't get more minutes over Ines. I'm hoping this doesn't make me a bad guy. We heard Geno speak of the Offense too- well aren't both Q and Brady better Offensively? SO why not play the better bench players that are combo better for athletcicism/rebounding/height and Offense?

WHy does it have to be Ines vs the two players above who didn't play that much last night?

Didn't Ines only play 1 minute in the Nova game according to the box score? Why is that even a problem that needs all this rehashing?

Reaction Score
Didn't Ines only play 1 minute in the Nova game according to the box score? Why is that even a problem that needs all this rehashing?
Others are saying she should have played more and don't understand why she isn't getting minutes ie. - think Geno is either wrong or don't udnerstand why she isn't.

So I was wndering - why in this Nova game - why her over Q and Brady. Both of them didnt play a lot but Q got decent 14 minutes. The way Nova plays - I can see why vs Nova Q got the minutes. And I thought she did pretty well.

And in the Nova game - Geno remarked how well his Defense played. So KK and Ashlynn seemed okay. IMO they hit a wall Offensviely. I would have liked to see more minutes from Q and Ice - but it was okay, wasn't it? I was just thinking why not be more concerned of minutes with Q and Brady?

Reaction Score
And in the Nova game - Geno remarked how well his Defense played. So KK and Ashlynn seemed okay. IMO they hit a wall Offensviely. I would have liked to see more minutes from Q and Ice - but it was okay, wasn't it? I was just thinking why not be more concerned of minutes with Q and Brady?

I would agree with that. Geno talks about wanting to get production from more people but at times does not seem willing to give them a chance to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom