UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread

Reaction Score
It wasn't pretty but in the end UConn will take it and move on. As bad as UConn looked for the most part, and still be in the game and go on to win...wow, these players are incredible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This has to be the worst recap of a game , EVER.
They pretty much hacked us on every shot and drive. Mostly no calls. On top of it you have an ex Villanova player calling the game who saw none of it. Even the tie up of AE at the end, the Villanova player came across her arm.
Julianne went to Marist. Her sister Jenna went to Villanova. Julianne has always been complimentary of UConn and was today, too. She said several times the game was “only 2 points”. I have no issues with her play calling

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
February 5th could be brutal. I will record the game and decide later if I want to watch it. If Villanova can do this to UCONN, well South Carolina ...

Reaction Score
This was a real gut check win for a shorthanded team right after a big national tv win just a couple days ago. They were sluggish. Not going to lie but who wouldn't be....

Aubrey and Dorka kept us in this game. Aubrey is such an athlete. Seems like she never gets tired.

I said this in the analysis thread but the refs are going to decide every game whether we win by 5 or 25 by the way they call fouls on Lou or don't call them. There was another Lou that suffered similarly at UConn.. Lou got bumped constantly and no calls but Siegrist got plenty. When the refs allow Lou to be mauled, a team has a chance. If they call those fouls early than Lou gets her 20+ points because the defense has to play it straight up the rest of the way.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im so happy Nika and Griff are shooting which makes them threats. Griffs pull up jumper is solid. Nika is a leader and now a scorer. Just in time for the big games coming up. After the Tenn game we had no legs. It showed. This game will be a great learning experience that we can use. Great effort Ladies. Guts perseverance and poise. We found a way when we were exhausted. Thats huge.

Reaction Score
Gritty game. Looking forward to rewatching it as it took me forever to find a streaming service with a free trial that had CBS sports. Respect to Villanova. Maddy Siegrist is some player. One legged fadeaways. Some one on one post moves vs 6'5 Dorka. At some points I was just shaking my head but loving it as a basketball fan.

Big 3 by Dorka late and it seemed Nika had some big buckets, key drives, etc.
Honestly the players and coaches have been saying all season they have confidence that in any game someone will step up all season. Its great when the two players who have played great in almost every game don't play well, they get the performance from Aubrey and Dorka that they did.

I don't love the lack of substitution, especially when some players weren't playing well. But I get it was a close game and coach just doesn't have great trust in certain players.

Reaction Score
I was in agony the last few moments, We were up Aubrey had 2 free throws to ice it, she missed both. We got up 5 had the ball turnover throwing it in, ready to ice and didn't. And I could not get the game so I have to wait to watch it. All I could see were the stupid little comments in the play be play in stats. And minutes would go by with nothing being posted. I am screaming at my computer, tell me what is happening. Ugly as this must have been, I want to see it as soon as it is posted. Hats off to the ladies. I was convinced from what I was reading in the chat room we were exhausted. When V went up in the 4th and we had 0 for like 5 minutes, I gave up. What a terrible fan, I should be ashamed. But I think we need to get at least one of Azzi and Caroline back ready to give all 5 starters 5 minutes of rest, or for relief if someone gets in foul trouble. Great watching them gut these out, but they will help as they play tougher teams.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
CD post game:

Theyre not an easy team to play -8 days to prep 1 for us. Not a lot of time to prep

Audrey – without her… Lou had a tough game, frusarated.

They focused on Lou/Edwards, so we took advantage where our advantage was – Aubrey – without her, not a 2 point game.

Guarding Maddie: Much better job last minutes – moved from double to face guard Maddie. That was key. Maddie – she makes tough shots, holds ball up high.

Got to the line, made them.

Wasn’t pretty – didn’t turn ball over in second half like we did in first

We were both using isolation plays – so not great assist numbers.

Dorak and Nika’s threes timely.

Playing: beat the players off the dribble.

More physical than they look. Lot of pelple in lane. Try to give up shots to people they wanted to shoot and prevent Lou/Edwards – and Aubrey and Dorka stepped in.

Next game – Wednesday. Tough stretch. Tomorrow watch film, recovery. Providence similar – play 5 out, put pressure on you defensivley, couple shoot the three – good player, Crooms.

Play them, day off. Two days to prep for South Carolina.

Can’t say enough about the crowd. Fans blew it out of the water. Getting ready for SC – CELL PHONE challenge.

SC gonna be a great environment – we’re going to need a lot of help.

Reaction Score
Segrist really raised her stock as a player of the year candidate; I still think Clark has an edge but it's pretty close.

Griffin was player of the game, of course, but Connecticut would have lost if Juhasz hadn't also had a very good game, offsetting subpar games from the other three.

Reaction Score
Yes we are tired but it is what it is…No AZzi ,no Caroline in sight and no helpful bench for the tough games. Playing Nova at their place and and big East tourney are going to be a tough go unless we get back at least AZzi

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Have to admit Q1 surprised me a bit in that Aubrey and Aaliyah had 4 shots blocked between them. And offensively, it seemed a few times like Plan A, then Plan B, then Plan C wasn't working, but UCONN was so patient and found the right players to get the ball to. Was really impressed at how good Villanova was on both offense and defense. Thought UCONN was on a good roll. But turnovers continue to be a problem. Some of them are butter-finger post players. Some brain-fart decisions by Nika (great steal, then home run pass to no one down the court). And foul trouble. Nova simply outplayed us in Q2. Our offense was just messy, and part of that was great defense by Nova.

More of the same in the 2nd half. Edwards getting blocked, missed shots, great Villanova defense, and Nova took the lead. Not sure what halftime changes Geno drew up, but nothing was working. I thought the Georgetown game was one of the worst of the season, but this one was harder to watch for me. 8 points scored in Q2. 10 points in Q3. They outplayed UCONN for long stretches of the game. Sigriest was the best player on the floor, altho Griffin was terrific for UCONN.

It sort of seemed like Geno kept expecting the players to figure it out, but it never really came.
  • Aaliyah - step backwards for her today. Got her shot blocked numerous times by a smaller younger player. And missed layups and jumpers when she did get a shot off. But those 2 clutch FT's late - ice water in her veins for sure. 1-2 the next time down. Oh well. Then got those last 2!!!
  • Dorka - too many butterfinger plays. Then I look up and she's got 16 points. That 3 that she took to give UCONN the lead late - I was like "NOOOOO"... then "YESSSSSS"... And that heads up play late saving a half court violation!
  • Nika - 1 assist thru 3 quarters. She did some scoring, but that bad pass in Q1 after getting the steal, then the pass to Dorka in Q4 to take the lead - Dorka was double teamed AND the pass was a bad one. Then followed it up with a beautiful pass to a streaking Aubrey for one of our few fast break baskets.
  • Lou - couldn't get anything going. I realize the old adage "shooters gotta shoot", but 2-13? At some point you gotta realize that taking contested shots is costing your team possessions.
  • Aubrey - Q2 really was the Aubrey show. That reverse layup under the basket with a defender in her face was special. I get that this is technically her 3rd season, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player improve so much from one season to the next. Her confidence is what allows her to use her physical gifts AND basketball skills to not only be an elite defender, but to show her impressive offensive game. But that 4th foul was so dumb. AND her FT shooting. WOW. I thought those 2 missed FT's were gonna come back to haunt us but she did everything else exceptionally. POG for sure from UCONN's perspective.
That play in the last 30 seconds was just dumb. Couldn't get the ball in, then Edwards is tied up, then Nova drains a 3. Are you serious? SMH. It was like the team never worked on an inbounds play before. Up 5 with 30 seconds left and THAT'S what you do??? The last 30 seconds really was poorly played and mismanaged.

Bottom line is maybe the lack of bench is catching up with them. Didn't seem that way in the Seton Hall or Tennessee games. Not sure the reason this game went the way it did, but kudos to Villanova for outplaying UCONN for long stretches and imposing their will. I think they are much better than the 21st team in the nation. We really won the game at the FT line. What a gutty performance by Nova. And as much as I was pointing out things we did wrong, we kept our composure and gutted out a tremendous win against a really good team. REALLY proud of these guys.
As usual, good post Eric. I knew you'd come through for us with a post game thread. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom