UConn v. USF Early Depth Chart Out | The Boneyard

UConn v. USF Early Depth Chart Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnFootball 7:04pm via TweetDeck
Here is the #UConn two-deep depth chart for Saturday's game vs. USF: #BleedBlue #RingTheBell

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20131006aaa.pdf

Jim Fuller @ NHR observations:

>>Tim Boyle, previously announced as the starter, is No. 1 at quarterback and Chandler Whitmer moved into the No. 2 spot.

Injured starters Shakim Phillips, Kevin Friend and Graham Stewart are not on the two-deep but Taylor Mack is listed as a starting cornerback while Kamal Abrams (hurt before Towson game) is listed as a starting receiver. Jefferson Ashiru and Dalton Gifford are listed as starters at OLB and RT respectively.

The other thing that caught my eye is that safety Andrew Adams, injured in preseason, is listed as a second-string safety.

In place of the suspected Tyler Bullock, Kyle Bockeloh and Bryan Paull are listed as co-No. 2 centers.

Finally, while interim coach T.J. Weist talked up fullback Jazzmar Clax on Friday's teleconference, freshman Matt Walsh is still listed as the starter there.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
too bad warde cant suit up to play oline.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that OLine depth is a serious problem. Hemingway is now the backup at both RT and LT.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that OLine depth is a serious problem. Hemingway is now the backup at both RT and LT.

Which means that if either of our Tackles gets injured, we will be running a hybrid 3 down lineman offense that will truly be innovative.

Reaction Score
The biggest news to me was seeing Andrew Adams back on the 2 Deep. Of all of last years 1st year players, he stood out the most to me. I like the way he plays. Reminds me of the NYG's Terrell Thomas, as he plays with a lot of physicality. I will be looking forward to watching him again on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I still don't get Pruitt at DE. Thought that was a function of PP and his "prototype" nonsense. There have been times mostly last year where he was perfectly positioned and the RB out ran him to edge. He is very athletic, but lacks the footspeed at 300lbs for DE IMO. I think we would benefit so much more from having start at DT next to Stephen in our 4-3 alignment. I've also wanted to see what Knappe could do in a few snaps at DE. Oh well.

Reaction Score
The O line issue baffles me. Hard to imagine that we haven't been able to recruit anyone who can challenge for a job in 2 years, really. I keep hearing Samra, but he hasn't seemed to challenge a pretty average Cruz. Hemingway we've been all over since the opener. Gifford looks like he has some potential, but one of the real weaknesses of the Pasqualoni era was that we didn't develop these guys like we did when Foley ran the offensive line. I have always believed that offensive line is one of those positions where you can really develop players but I just don't think DeLeone cared to do it. He wanted his "prototypes" to be capable to step in and just learn the system. Successful coaches at places like UConn take athletic kids and teach them fundamentals first. It was what we did under Edsall and Foley, Tom O'Brien won lots of football games at BC doing it and did it at NC State, too though without as many wins, and Schiano and Flood also did it at Rutgers.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's not hard to figure out why there is a depth issue on the OL..look at who has been recruiting and coaching them. Would you want to come to UConn and play for GDL?

It's probably going to take a couple years to recover from the damage GDL has done.

Reaction Score
The O line issue baffles me. Hard to imagine that we haven't been able to recruit anyone who can challenge for a job in 2 years, really.

It speaks only to the overwhelming failure of player development during the reign of P and GDL -- a failure that won't be corrected in 8 games.

Reaction Score
It speaks only to the overwhelming failure of player development during the reign of P and GDL -- a failure that won't be corrected in 8 games.

The O line issue baffles me. Hard to imagine that we haven't been able to recruit anyone who can challenge for a job in 2 years, really. I keep hearing Samra, but he hasn't seemed to challenge a pretty average Cruz. Hemingway we've been all over since the opener. Gifford looks like he has some potential, but one of the real weaknesses of the Pasqualoni era was that we didn't develop these guys like we did when Foley ran the offensive line. I have always believed that offensive line is one of those positions where you can really develop players but I just don't think DeLeone cared to do it. He wanted his "prototypes" to be capable to step in and just learn the system. Successful coaches at places like UConn take athletic kids and teach them fundamentals first. It was what we did under Edsall and Foley, Tom O'Brien won lots of football games at BC doing it and did it at NC State, too though without as many wins, and Schiano and Flood also did it at Rutgers.

This is not actually the case. The most important thing that Pasqualoni did, to give this team a chance at success this season IMNSHO, was get Bennett a 6th year of eligibility. Imagine where we'd be if that roster move had not been made. Deleone, is a first class in my opinion, and has a long and proven track record, of having coached offensive lineman that are pretty good, but have the uncanny trend of sucking wind with Deleone as a coach, and then doing quite well afterwards. The old - rebound effect really. We can only hope the same thing happens with our upperclassmen on the line.

And that's the key - UPPER classmen. Veteran offensive linemen are almost always better than younger linemen. We have one young player recruited int eh past 2 years, that has cracked the game day lineups, and is on the kicking units and played as a true frosh. He's an interior linemen. Our tackle depth, which is a relatively quote/unquote 'skilled' position on the line, is not great. We have gaps in the roster from the 5th and 6th year starters to the underclassmen. We have some promising players recruited as RSFr and true frosh, but apparently aren't good enough right now, to unseat STILL underclassmen Heminway and Gifford on the depth charts.

But to say this is s development problem on the most recent former coaching staff? Maybe so. WE suck at blocking in the past 2 seasons, and that's on Deleone and by extension Paqualoni when it comes to coaching. The talent argument? We'll get a new perspective on that - the rest of the season with Foley returned to the OL duties.

A recruiting problem for the most recent former coaching staff? I don't think so. You have to go back two former coaching staff's for that. We are deficient on lineman, because #1. We didn't bring enough in Edsall's later years, and #2. Of those few that came, we lost two that would be in the depth chart now,if not starting (kuracea and the kiddie smut incident). Our offense was in shambles after the Fiesta Bowl. One has to wonder if Edsall (since I do believe he is a good man) wanted Todman to leave, because he felt his chances at making the NFL would be hurt by staying another year. I mean that.

We will have a new perspective on talent levels, depth and ability on the OL as the conference season plays out. I think we are much better than we showed in the past 2 seasons, at least good enough to run the ball well enough to keep DL's and LB's honest in run first, but I wouldn't go too far.

Reaction Score
FWIW:

Here is one way to look at our offensive line depth chart: (S = starter) (P = entered program under Pasqualoni)

Center:
RsFr (P)
RsJr
RsJr (S)(P)

Offensive Guards:
RsSr (S)
RsSr (suspended)
RsJr (S)
So (P)
RsFr (P)

Offensive Tackles
RsSr (S)
RsSr(S)
RsSo
RsSo
RsSo
Rs Fr (P)
Fr (P)

Do with that what you will.

we have three other true frosh that are not specific listed as positions yet, but if they stay, will be RsFr in one of those three spots next season.

Reaction Score
T.J. Weist optimistic that OT Kevin Friend could return for USF game (and other tidbits).
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/10/tj-weist-optimistic-that-ot-kevin.html

>>"Friend looks good, he practiced a little the other day," Wesit said. "He is still questionable and once we do get him back, hopefully we get him back for this game, it will solidify that offensive line which is what we need. If you are weak at one spot, it really weakens the whole thing. We’ll see if I can get him out to practice tomorrow, he will still be questionable for us but if I can get him back that would really help our offensive line."<<

Reaction Score
You need to look at P's "quick"attempts to fix his perception of where the problems were. He tried successfully and unsuccessfully to bring in fifth year players, transfers and jucos at QB, WR, OL and TE.

Reaction Score
EdDaigneault
1:00pm via TweetDeck
#UConn interim coach TJ Weist says Shak Phillips practiced yesterday but not full speed. Questionable for USF.

EdDaigneault
Weist also says Kevin Friend has practiced all week. Looks like he could be back on the O line for USF.

NHRJimFuller
1:03pm via TweetDeck
LB Graham Stewart has not practce all week and unlikely to play for #UConn WR Shak Phillips practiced yesterday has has chance to play

NHRJimFuller
1:02pm via Twitter for iPhone
OT Kevin Friend has practiced all week but still questionable for #UConn

NHRJimFuller
1:12pm via TweetDeck
T.J. Weist said OT Kevin Friend "looks better in terms of being able to go. We are taking it day by day but he has practiced well."

Silver Injury Update: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/thursday-update-usf-awaits/

Reaction Score
EdDaigneault
#UConn interim coach TJ Weist says Shak Phillips practiced yesterday but not full speed. Questionable for USF.

EdDaigneault
Weist also says Kevin Friend has practiced all week. Looks like he could be back on the O line for USF.

NHRJimFuller
1:03pm via TweetDeck
LB Graham Stewart has not practce all week and unlikely to play for #UConn WR Shak Phillips practiced yesterday has has chance to play

NHRJimFuller
1:02pm via Twitter for iPhone
OT Kevin Friend has practiced all week but still questionable for #UConn

NHRJimFuller
1:12pm via TweetDeck
T.J. Weist said OT Kevin Friend "looks better in terms of being able to go. We are taking it day by day but he has practiced well."

Silver Injury Update: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/thursday-update-usf-awaits/

If Friend has practiced well he is playing. That's huge. GDL must have been slowing down the healing process of the players.

Reaction Score
You need to look at P's "quick"attempts to fix his perception of where the problems were. He tried successfully and unsuccessfully to bring in fifth year players, transfers and jucos at QB, WR, OL and TE.

Every single one of those position groups had holes in them, and they all come from a specific period of time, Randy Edsall's classes from 2008-2010 during our most successful years on the field, and when he apparently was looking for other jobs........but I digress.

Our next head coach - needs to be able to recruit high quality players. The question I would love to hear Randy Edsall answer today, is why the recruiting slacked off from 2008-2010?

He had to know it was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc