Men - UConn v. Rutgers at Elliot Ballpark (Friday 3/24/23 ->Doubleheader beginning @1:05p & 5:45p and Sunday 3/25/23 @1:05p). Games on UConn+ and Mixlr | The Boneyard

Men UConn v. Rutgers at Elliot Ballpark (Friday 3/24/23 ->Doubleheader beginning @1:05p & 5:45p and Sunday 3/25/23 @1:05p). Games on UConn+ and Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The other good thing about the doubleheader on Friday is the possibility of 2 UConn basketball games on Saturday. Don't have to worry now about baseball overlapping with UConn men's and women's basketball on Saturday.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This will be a solid test. Rutgers plays better defense than most teams we have played this year. They have had issues on the mound.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
While I loved seeing Coe start on Wednesday, he might not be available for 2 games due to the doubleheader on Friday. Hopefully the starters can go at least 6 innings and then Afthim, Fogell, Nowak and Kirby can do their jobs over two games to get to Willis.

Reaction Score
While I loved seeing Coe start on Wednesday, he might not be available for 2 games due to the doubleheader on Friday. Hopefully the starters can go at least 6 innings and then Afthim, Fogell, Nowak and Kirby can do their jobs over two games to get to Willis.

Coe was pretty efficient on Wednesday, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets to pitch an inning on Friday. Assuming the games are close, it wouldn't surprise me if Freeberger also comes out of the bullpen on Friday as well, and possibly Abbadessa. If the games end up being blow outs one way or another, you never know who will show up on the mound.

Could be wrong, but I'm expecting Cooke and Sears will get the starts on Friday, and Stephen Quigley on Sunday. Whatever the case, whoever ends up being the odd man out of the weekend rotation this weekend (Sullivan or Stephen Quigley?), could also potentially be used out of the bullpen as well against Rutgers. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Re: Friday's doubleheader with Rutgers does 1 ticket allow viewing of both games or 2 tickets required, 1 for each game? Thanks
Just found answer to my question from Uconn ticket website:

Due to incelment weather on Saturday, the series between UConn and Rutgers has been changed to a doubleheader on Friday, March 25th at 1:05pm. The second game will follow 30 minutes after the conclusion of game 1.
1 ticket is valid for both events

Reaction Score

Fri - Ian Cooke
Fri - Andrew Sears
Sun - Jack Sullivan

Sullivan gets the start on Sunday. I recall an interview with coaches that said they think he does better as a starter instead of coming out of the bullpen. One would suspect that Stephen Quigley will be available to come out of the bullpen, but he will probably also be a midweek starter.

Reaction Score
Game Notes for Rutgers
Current UConn RPI: 31

Game Notes for UConn
Current Rutgers RPI: 17

Reaction Score

Fri - Ian Cooke
Fri - Andrew Sears
Sun - Jack Sullivan

Sullivan gets the start on Sunday. I recall an interview with coaches that said they think he does better as a starter instead of coming out of the bullpen. One would suspect that Stephen Quigley will be available to come out of the bullpen, but he will probably also be a midweek starter.

With Coe not available on Friday, Quigley has to be ready to pitch Friday start against BC be Damned. You can start Coe midweek one more time, and then move him back to the weekend pen when we have a lesser midweek opponent that we can just have a bullpen day against.

Reaction Score

Projected Starters:

RHP Ian Cooke (2-2, 4.94 ERA) vs. RHP Drew Conover (2-1, 4.97 ERA)

LHP Andrew Sears (0-0, 5.29 ERA) vs. RHP Christian Coppolla (1-1, 3.55 ERA)

RHP Jack Sullivan (3-1, 3.80 ERA) vs. RHP Jake Marshall (2-1, 3.20 ERA)

Reaction Score

– CONNECTICUT
Record: 13-5
RPI: 30
ISR: 20
SOS: 44
Best Wins: vs. Ohio State (2)
This Weekend: vs. Rutgers
Speaking of Snowbelters who are regulars on the highway of success, coach Jim Penders and his crew seemingly have a lifetime pass for the Diamond Lane on that freeway. The 17-game season-opening road trip did not wear them down as often happens to northern teams as they won three of four at both Hawaii and at San Diego State the last two weekends.

– RUTGERS
Record: 12-8
RPI: 17
ISR: 39
SOS: 19
Best Win: at Campbell
This Weekend: at Connecticut
Don’t be too shocked to see the Scarlet Knights getting some run here, we’re in the middle of seeing the Steve Owens Effect taking hold. He led the Knights to a school record 44 wins last season and has them playing pretty good so far this year. (Although 12 wins out of 20 probably isn’t good enough for coach Owens). They’ll take a step up this weekend in taking on the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I don't pretend to understand how RPI (and other metrics) are figured, but on paper, Rutgers doesn't look all that intimidating, despite their 17 ranking. Their 12 wins are against Campbell (one win in 3 game series), George Mason, St. Joes (not sure which one), Wagner, Georgia Southern (swept a 3 game series against a .500 club), Kennesaw St., Mercer (two of three), Rider and Lafayette. Losses are to Campbell (2), Ball State, BC, UNC-Greensboro (swept in 3 game series; another .500 club) and Mercer. Doesn't really compare to our schedule, I don't think. Team BA is .298. Opposing BA is only .238, despite Rutgers' team ERA of 5.05. Their starters appear to be averaging less than 5IP per start. One thing to watch - They have hit 30 batters in 20 games, and our guys have been hit 33 times in 18 games. Plus Rutgers pitching is averaging over 5 walks per 9 innings. Our guys' control has gotten better recently, but we're still just south of 5 freebies per nine. Either way, should be a few "free 90's" on tap.

Reaction Score
The stats line link above and on the UConn web site both say the game is tomorrow. Anyone get it elsewhere?

Reaction Score
The stats line link above and on the UConn web site both say the game is tomorrow. Anyone get it elsewhere?

Click on the link for the second game, that stats page is working for this game.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, a lead off solo homer for Rutgers, 1-0 Rutgers. The next 2 batters reach base (a walk and an infield error by Padilla), a 1 out single brings in another run, 2-0 Rutgers. Another 1 out single makes it 3-0 Rutgers. A double play ends the inning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom 2nd, with no out, UConn loads the bases on a hit by pitch and 2 walks. With no outs, Morton singles to drive in a run, 3-1 Rutgers, bases still loaded. Garbowski follows with a no out walk to bring in another run, 3-2 the score. Daniels with a sac fly that brings in 2 runs to make it 4-3 UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom