Men - UConn v. Ohio State Buckeyes @ Snowbird Classic. (Fri. 2/17/23@7p, Sat. 2/18/23@4p, Sun. 2/19/23@4p & Mon. 2/20/23@11a). Games on FloSports/Mixlr | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men UConn v. Ohio State Buckeyes @ Snowbird Classic. (Fri. 2/17/23@7p, Sat. 2/18/23@4p, Sun. 2/19/23@4p & Mon. 2/20/23@11a). Games on FloSports/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next weekend UConn has a 3 game weekend, followed by no games in the midweek. That is a rarity this season, it only happens again with finals week.

Reaction Score
And these are far from elite pitchers. Ohio State is expected to be a middle of the pack Big 10 team. Several notches below the Maryland team we beat last year.
It's the proverbial "it's early and this is a small sample size". However, given Uconn's depth on offense, the leash on guys who are not hitting will not be endless. See last year.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wasted my money on that garbage flosports!!!!
Hopefully it will get a bit better. I know last year it was mixed based on who the host was. That being said, the host here may be more to blame, but Flo should have known what they were getting into. I sent Flo an email. If they respond, I’ll let you all know. Thank goodness for CJ. He paints such a good picture that I didn’t need the video. CJ is damn good. Everyone doing a UConn game…home or away should use the CJ call for the games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully it will get a bit better. I know last year it was mixed based on who the host was. That being said, the host here may be more to blame, but Flo should have known what they were getting into. I sent Flo an email. If they respond, I’ll let you all know. Thank goodness for CJ. He paints such a good picture that I didn’t need the video. CJ is damn good. Everyone doing a UConn game…home or away should use the CJ call for the games.
Chris Jones does a great job. Baseball is the best sport for radio anyway so I do not miss much not seeing it.

Reaction Score

I've been listening to Chris Jones do UConn baseball ever since he was on WHUS radio when he was a student at UConn. An absolutely wonderful broadcaster. No question UConn fans should listen to him broadcast the games, as he often will mention stuff you won't hear anywhere else. I probably post something like that several times during a UConn baseball season.

Reaction Score

To sum up, the pitchers (especially relievers) need to cut back on the walks, and the hitters need to cut back on strikeouts and put the ball in play, which puts pressure on the opposition defense. Being very early in the season, there is always the possibility of adjustments to playing time for certain players as the season progresses as some players emerge and others possibly regress.

Reaction Score
Over the first weekend, the following regular position players all hit well under .200 over the 4 game series. Ben Huber, Bryan Padilla, Luke Broadhurst, and Matt Garbowski. It is still a fairly small statistical sample size for the start of the season, but with UConn said to have a deep bench, it could amount for some playing time for the bench players if these batting slumps continue in future weekends.

Huber's bat did start making some noise as the weekend progressed, coming up with 2 homers. And at least Garbowski did throw out a couple of stolen base attempts in the Monday game, after not throwing anyone out in the games earlier in the weekend series.

Jake Studley had a very solid first weekend in a UConn uniform with his bat, hitting for a high average and getting a couple walks as well. Suspect we will continue to see him in left field especially if he keeps hitting like this, although I would like to see Niko Brini get some playing time at some point, as he did well when I saw him play during the fall ball season.

It's been mentioned that the pitching staff has been giving up too many walks, which is certainly the case, Coach Penders certainly agrees with that. The interesting thing is over the weekend UConn pitchers gave up only 1 wild pitch and only hit 1 batter with a pitch.

Reaction Score
A lot of bad signs in the first weekend, but I know better than to analyze statistics this early in the season. But beyond that going 2-2 against an opponent outside the top 100 isn’t good enough, there was plenty to be nervous about.

Let’s see how this weekend goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr