UConn v All Star Team | The Boneyard

UConn v All Star Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the question. How would our team fare against an all-star team from all of the other schools? To give UConn a fighting chance, let's assume the games were all at Gampel. Let's also assume no injuries. To make the question interesting, let's also assume the All Stars have a long time to practice together, say six months.

Out of ten games, how many would UConn win? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say four or five.

You could spend a lot of time debating the starting five for the All Stars, but I don't think it impacts the result a whole lot. I assumed Williams, Chiney, McBride, Loyd, Sims. Dolson v Williams is about a wash. Stewart is a bit better than Chiney but that's offset by Loyd (I'm assuming she makes the sophomore leap) being (my opinion) a bit better than Bria. Sims v Jefferson is a big edge for the All Stars but KML v McBride is a pretty big edge for UConn. I'll assume though that the PG discrepancy outweighs the discrepancy at the wing and gives the All Stars a slight edge on the starting five.

No doubt the All Stars edge would increase a bit with the bench but with Morgan Tuck and Kiah (I'm really expecting Kiah to break through next year) leading the way I don't think it's a huge edge.

Put it all together and I still don't think the All Stars are all that much better. When you take home court advantage into account it's either a coin flip or the very slightest of advantages to the All Stars. Hence, UConn wins four or five out of ten.

The fact that I can even make this argument with a straight face is astounding.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gray is a better player than Loyd. Gray and Sims could definitely coexist in the starting backcourt.

Reaction Score
Gray was definitely on my list of the next two to three players. Speculating on freshman to sophomore improvement is always dicey but I expect Loyd to be awfully good this year. Still you could certainly make a very good case for Gray to be on the team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Would depend...UConn has a lot more experience playing together, so they would probably win based on their ability to run a coherent offense, play help side defense, press, etc. But if you gave the All-Stars equal practice time, it would be very competitive.

Reaction Score
I didnt want coherencevto be a factor which is why i assumed six months practice time for the all stars

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
I didnt want coherence to be a factor which is why i assumed...
Hold it right there. I think I see your problem. You're sayin you came to the Boneyard (?!?), assuming we can think coherently?!?:eek:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
8-2 UCONN.

Argument:

Stef - no one better at the 5 in the country since Griner graduated. Few posts can stay with her from the top of the key and none pass better. Already a first team AA. Wade watch list.

Breanna - no one better in the country at the 4 nor anyone better at erasing others defensive lapses. NCAA tournament MOP, will be a multiple first team AA. Raved about by every coach and teammates at every level including the USA basketball national team mini camp. Wade watch list.

KML - no one in the country is a better shooter or has a better all around game at the 3. Thank you Kelly Faris. Already first team AA. Wade watch list.

Bria - one of the top 5 2s in the country and has healed from last season. ALl American. Wade watch list.

MoJeff - is going to drive opponents crazy with her speed. There is no one who can stay with her, getting the keys to the Ferrari just slows her down.

Morgan Tuck - the best 1st of the bench player in the country.

Tremendous bench to back it up.

Real world All Star teams do do play good defense and rely on playground offense. They don't hone their team game over months and years of practice.

Plus we have Geno. Nothing more to say.

8-2 probably better.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Interesting question. We have the edge with our forwards and center, the all-star team has the edge with guards. 3-2, except that it's a guard's game so I would call it close to a wash. If Auriemma could spend the same amount of time preparing and coaching each squad the All-stars win the majority. Otherwise, UConn wins the majority, imho.

Ironically, our third best player probably has the greatest advantage. Stewart's better than Ogwumike, but not by much. Thomas has to be on the team and probably placed at KML's position, making the edge in our favor only slight there. But I see no other center that will come close to Dolson's worth this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To make it tougher on the All Stars I think you have to match class as well so 2 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 sophomores, and a freshman - if you do that, I think the edge definitely tilts to Uconn. So ...
Sims and Chiney/ Stef and Bria
Williams, Banham, Boyd / KML, Kiah, BB (just used the Wade watch Juniors - so replace with your favorites)
Lloyd, Graves, Jones (?) / Stewart, MoJef, Tuck
Russell/Chong (or Davis or Deshields?)

Reaction Score
I agree we have a very good team that probably need a all star team to play against for good competition but bringing up mythical what if posts like this is a little egotistical and in poor taste. If a fan from another school sees a post like this they say theres uconn again those snobbish yanks smh

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree we have a very good team that probably need a all star team to play against for good competition but bringing up mythical what if posts like this is a little egotistical and in poor taste. If a fan from another school sees a post like this they say theres uconn again those snobbish yanks smh

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sims vs Jefferson
Sims wins hands down

McBride vs Hartley
McBride slightly wins

Thomas vs KML
Pretty equal

Ogwumike vs Stewart
I think Ogwumike is better she may not have the arsenal Stewart has but the girl is BADDD and she's a great/versatile defender

Achonwa vs Dolson
Dolson wins slightly..I wouldn't put Williams here because I personally think she is overrated/hasn't lived up to her potential

Everything else equal? If both teams were coached by Geno? All stars 8-2

Btw that's 7 seniors total that honestly could be the top 7 draft picks add in Gray and this is a darn good draft year

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thomas is a darn good player she hasn't benefited from being under Geno but give her that coaching? Yes they're pretty equal if not Thomas being better.
Not even close. Besides Thomas plays the 4 and KML the 3. KML 118 3s at a .492 rate, Thomas 6 at a .429 rate. KML shooting % overall .529, Thomas ,452. KML FTs .895, Thomas .765. KML TOs 58, Thomas 137. Steals KML 57, Thomas 61. Rebounding KML 240, Thomas 349. Minutes/game 30.2, Thomas 34.2. PPG KML 17.6, Thomas 18.8.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not even close. Besides Thomas plays the 4 and KML the 3.

Actually Thomas plays the 3 primarily ....... at least she has so far in her UMD career..

Reaction Score
Not even close. Besides Thomas plays the 4 and KML the 3. KML 118 3s at a .492 rate, Thomas 6 at a .429 rate. KML shooting % overall .529, Thomas ,452. KML FTs .895, Thomas .765. KML TOs 58, Thomas 137. Steals KML 57, Thomas 61. Rebounding KML 240, Thomas 349. Minutes/game 30.2, Thomas 34.2. PPG KML 17.6, Thomas 18.8.

So what makes Thomas not as good? Shooting 3's aren't the end all be all. Her percentages would be down considering she's shouldering more of a load than KML and she handles the ball more(not that she should). So she scores more points? Has more steals? More rebounds? But lower percentages? I think you made my point..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Total of 4 more steals in 4 more minutes per game. That isn't advantage Thomas but a wash at best.

Thomas scores one more point per game in 4 more minutes per game in the offense you noted needed her to score more but that count is 13 less baskets on 50 more shots. MD is a good rebounding team, best in the NCAA among major conferences. It is her one dominant area. And another point against her Thomas folds like a map when she plays UCONN. 4-16 shooting in 39 minutes in the NCAAs and 2-12 in 36 minutes in Hartford.

Sorry, KML all the way.

Reaction Score
So what makes Thomas not as good? Shooting 3's aren't the end all be all. Her percentages would be down considering she's shouldering more of a load than KML and she handles the ball more(not that she should). So she scores more points? Has more steals? More rebounds? But lower percentages? I think you made my point..
The problem is all the points MD opponents scored off Thomas's vastly greater number of TOs and missed shots.

Reaction Score
I can understand what you all are saying but honestly IMO if Thomas were coached by Geno the same amount of time as KML..Thomas wins IMO. I understand this is a UCONN Messageboard and I am in no way belittle KML, whom I personally think is very much under the radar one of the best players in WCBB, but I think Thomas' length, versatility, skillset, and athleticism is just on a different level than KML. Yes I think KML is a better shooter I don't think you will find many that are better, but just all around? Thomas gets my unbiased vote.

Reaction Score
Total of 4 more steals in 4 more minutes per game. That isn't advantage Thomas but a wash at best.

Thomas scores one more point per game in 4 more minutes per game in the offense you noted needed her to score more but that count is 13 less baskets on 50 more shots. MD is a good rebounding team, best in the NCAA among major conferences. It is her one dominant area. And another point against her Thomas folds like a map when she plays UCONN. 4-16 shooting in 39 minutes in the NCAAs and 2-12 in 36 minutes in Hartford.

Sorry, KML all the way.

Btw who was guarding Thomas during those games? Was it Faris? If so....those shooting games are not indicative of how she would fare vs KML.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom