UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This program is at a crossroads. We should expect to be led in the right direction by a very well compensated coach. This is lost year and Cavanaugh has 4 more years on his contract. The AD has no stomach money for making a change now, so he has at least next year to make some positive gains so we can all forget where we are this season.
FIFY… my gut is if someone wrote a big check to make the change budget neutral the discussion might have legs but no way Benedict sells buying Cav out w/o that in hand. Too much budget pressure.

Reaction Score
Pereira is doing a pretty good job in a similar role at BU selling a top notch system and a dynamic coach. (Check out the freshmen on their roster.) You say we need to "remember where we are in terms of this league"? Does that mean that 11 years into scholarship based D-1 with a very well compensated coach that we shouldn't expect much? We should stay in our place? If so, you've lost me! If we were a few years in (or even 5 years) to our scholarship based D-1 existence, maybe you give the benefit of the doubt. But, here we are in year 11 stuck in reverse. After 11 years , I for one, am not content to be a middle of the road (at best) HE team.

I well remember when the two coaching giants at UConn started in the mid eighties. Calhoun and Auriemma started out in the old field house. They each had one losing season in the 4500 capacity barn n/k/a the Greer Field House and then they were off to the races. The men won the NIT in Calhoun's second year and the women started to shine with their first NCAA appearance in Auriemma's 4th year. They have made it every year since! (THANK YOU, DEE ROWE!)

Thinking back to those days, would we have accepted marginal (or worse) performance out of those guys? How good were they? Hell, Toscano Family Arena sits on Jim Calhoun Way. If UConn had to "remember where we are" when Auriemma and Calhoun started at UConn, we be nowhere is men's and women's BB. When we joined the Big East (1st time), Syracuse, PC, Georgetown etc all wished we would "remember where we are". Well, if we did, it only motivated us to not stay in our place. In fact, if all of what UConn, the institution, has become had to "remember where we are", it would not be what it is today. I have zero problem remembering where UConn came from, so long as we ain't there anymore! Simply put, by11 years in, we should be proud of where we came from, but not resigned to it.

This program is at a crossroads. We should expect to be led in the right direction by a very well compensated coach. This is lost year and Cavanaugh has 4 more years on his contract. The AD has no stomach for making a change now, so he has at least next year to make some positive gains so we can all forget where we are this season.
There has been large enough of a sample size on Cav and he’s gonna get at least next season. Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma standards might be a tad unrealistic but let’s look at Jim Penders the deck is really stacked against him and always getting the most out of his players.

It’s gone beyond losing we have gotten worse as the season has gone on the last 2 years and are continually undisciplined with dumb- foolish penalties.

Reaction Score
70 mil to support a potential elite NCAA women’s hockey program. In the end they are the real beneficiaries of this place…
I’ll jump on that bandwagon, other team is our men’s team that’s right.

Reaction Score
A comment on Wood. I heard 2 interviews with guys who played in the NFL andNBA and they both talked about the transition from high school to college. And they both mentioned how in college they were suddenly going up against “fully grown men” was the phase they used. More developed, stronger, better conditioned and trained. I sort of think Wood hit the same thing. As the youngest player in college hockey, despite his talent, he was suddenly facing 22 year olds who had been working out, playing at a high level for 2-4 years. Next year maybe he is ready to take a big step forward.

Wood was a highly touted recruit and is a first round draft pick, but has been a bust with respect to those expectations. If he were just another recruit we’d interpret him as an ok college player. Sometime age is a part of it, but Macklin Celebrini is younger and is an absolute phenom tearin’ up NCAA hockey. Wood‘s performance this season isn’t even a fraction of that, and a lot of that failure to develop is on the coaching staff but it’s also maybe Wood isn’t really cut out to be that next level player in part because of his lack of competitiveness.

From the perspective of the Nashville Predators, I think their second round choice of Jachym Kondelik was a better one that Wood, even though he was older and has since returned to the Czech Republic. Similar size and speed but Jachym won faceoffs and was a terrific playmaker. I miss solid players with poise. That’s just not a thing with the team this year,

And finally on Cavanaugh. He was never my choice. I thought there were better options ant the time annd it was pretty clear York wasn’t handing the program to him when he retired. But I thought he did a decent job annd was starting to turn the corner a couple of years ago. But the loss in the Garden now seems to have been the high point. And he has clearly lost this team. I think he gets another year, but if it a repeat of this one, no way he lasts 2.

The pinnacle for the program was beating Northeastern convincingly to get to the finals at the TD Garden. It may be the best game of the UConn HE era. A soft goal vs UMass ended it, but it’s been said many times that Cavs can’t win the big game, and his resume over 11 seasons shows that.

Last year we were all excited by a terrific start that became fools gold first revealed when Cornell blew them out at MSG 6-0. They finished 4th in HE and we were treated to what has been a customary loss at Tuscano in the playoffs. The current team isn’t designed to steal one let alone two games in the playoffs this year to reach TD Garden, but they still have to play so if something fluky happens we’ll embrace it but it’s not likely to happen.

Reaction Score
There has been large enough of a sample size on Cav and he’s gonna get at least next season. Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma standards might be a tad unrealistic but let’s look at Jim Penders the deck is really stacked against him and always getting the most out of his players.

It’s gone beyond losing we have gotten worse as the season has gone on the last 2 years and are continually undisciplined with dumb- foolish penalties.
Penders is incredible! How do you have a respectable baseball team in the northeast? Class individual to boot!

Reaction Score
Wood was a highly touted recruit and is a first round draft pick, but has been a bust with respect to those expectations. If he were just another recruit we’d interpret him as an ok college player. Sometime age is a part of it, but Macklin Celebrini is younger and is an absolute phenom tearin’ up NCAA hockey. Wood‘s performance this season isn’t even a fraction of that, and a lot of that failure to develop is on the coaching staff but it’s also maybe Wood isn’t really cut out to be that next level player in part because of his lack of competitiveness.

From the perspective of the Nashville Predators, I think their second round choice of Jachym Kondelik was a better one that Wood, even though he was older and has since returned to the Czech Republic. Similar size and speed but Jachym won faceoffs and was a terrific playmaker. I miss solid players with poise. That’s just not a thing with the team this year,
The strange thing about Wood is that his freshman year at 17 was much better than his sophomore year.

And last night he had a clear opportunity to shoot on the two on one and elected to pass. He has to shoot that.

I would expect Bradley to be suspended at least for tonight’s game and maybe another game. Wood might be suspended for a game for throwing a punch even though his gloves were on.

Cooper11

Cooper 11
Reaction Score
Was there early for warm ups last night and noticed UCONN seemed not to be organized, completing drills crisp, and endless misses of net. Players seemed just not into it and many left ice early.

The dump in/ break out drill was caos. Guys crashing into each other and loosing puck way to much in a routine drill.

Contrast that to other end of the ice. BU looked like old school Soviet Red Army team. Including the uniforms.

First time I ever noticed something like that at a college or pro game. Made me think if a dope like me noticing this not a good sign for the outcome of game last night or where program is at.

Reaction Score
The strange thing about Wood is that his freshman year at 17 was much better than his sophomore year.

Last year Wood benefitted with playing on a line with Justin Pearson, a true scorer and very experienced player. That was a good move. This year the expectation seemed to be that he’d find his own game and elevate the players around him, and that hasn’t happened.

The entire team has struggled to score, especially at Tuscano. Cavs has no answer for this drought and he’s lost this team in the process. Their frustration is manifesting in the way they carry themselves on the ice. it’s not going to be any prettier tonight at Agganis.

Reaction Score
Penders is incredible! How do you have a respectable baseball team in the northeast? Class individual to boot!
Well you can, but in some ways I think Penders demonstrated it was possible. BC and Northeastern were both pretty good which has been great for northeast baseball. The other thing is how do you have respectable baseball in the Big East. At least BC plays really Top competition. Once the conference season starts we play the Little Sisters of the Poor almost every week.

Reaction Score
Last year Wood benefitted with playing on a line with Justin Pearson, a true scorer and very experienced player. That was a good move. This year the expectation seemed to be that he’d find his own game and elevate the players around him, and that hasn’t happened.

The entire team has struggled to score, especially at Tuscano. Cavs has no answer for this drought and he’s lost this team in the process. Their frustration is manifesting in the way they carry themselves on the ice. it’s not going to be any prettier tonight at Agganis.
I don’t know. I don’t expect much tonight, but this team has played way better on the road. Actually picked up some impressive wins. I have never seen a team that played so badly at home. It isn’t just getting beat, it’s inability to score goals, do dumb things…inexplicable.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

That may have been the single dumbest thing I've seen anyone on this team ever do. Coming from anyone it’s bad, coming from him it’s borderline unforgivable.

Reaction Score
That may have been the single dumbest thing I've seen anyone on this team ever do. Coming from anyone it’s bad, coming from him it’s borderline unforgivable.
I’m a little surprised it wasn’t more than a game. Broke his stick with two handed baseball swing against the back of the BU player’s legs

Reaction Score
You don't know the rule. You just don't. Its absolutely a major in coll

Well you can, but in some ways I think Penders demonstrated it was possible. BC and Northeastern were both pretty good which has been great for northeast baseball. The other thing is how do you have respectable baseball in the Big East. At least BC plays really Top competition. Once the conference season starts we play the Little Sisters of the Poor almost every week.
Oh yeah, the new BE lacks a lot, most importantly a decent payout!

Reaction Score
I don't defend Bradley's two handed slash, but it came right after the BU guy hit him twice when he was technically facing the boards and the game was at an all time chippy-high. I thought you shouldn't hit a guy when he is facing the boards but they didnt call anything on BU there. Maybe because Bradley stayed on his feet and didn't drop to the ground writhing in pain.

What was the deal with that great clean Pasciuci hit, the officials immediately blew the whistle and the BU bench and players went nuclear.
Then penalties were doled out that only seemed skirmish related. What did I miss?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I don't defend Bradley's two handed slash, but it came right after the BU guy hit him twice when he was technically facing the boards and the game was at an all time chippy-high. I thought you shouldn't hit a guy when he is facing the boards but they didnt call anything on BU there. Maybe because Bradley stayed on his feet and didn't drop to the ground writhing in pain.

What was the deal with that great clean Pasciuci hit, the officials immediately blew the whistle and the BU bench and players went nuclear.
Then penalties were doled out that only seemed skirmish related. What did I miss?
You didn’t miss anything on the Pascucci hit. What you said is what happened. The whistle never should have been blown. On the Bradley thing, yeah something should have been called on BU, but the reaction was over the top. When he went to the bench Cav yellled at him and Chase pointed at is own head as if to agree with whatever it was that Cav said. He knew he had messed up. Maybe give the guy a shove. A two handed slash with the stick was a bit egregious at that point.

Reaction Score
Cavs has lost this team. They are undisciplined, lack cohesive play, lack development, and special teams are atrocious. It’s time for a fresh start and more games at the XL for next season.
75% more majors than goals. It hurts the head to think about that stat

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I’m a little surprised it wasn’t more than a game. Broke his stick with two handed baseball swing against the back of the BU player’s legs
Is that wrong? Should he not have done that?

Reaction Score
Re: Wood, I think he's an extremely talented player and Cav is not running a system that exploits his talent. He thrives in space and with movement. UConn runs a grind it out style, especially in the neutral zone, and his talent is a bit wasted.

I also didn't notice until yesterday how shallow the corners are there. It looks like Merrimack. Why did they build it like that? There's so little open space in the offensive zone and it hurts the high skill Fs like Wood. That's a mistake in design.

Reaction Score
Re: Wood, I think he's an extremely talented player and Cav is not running a system that exploits his talent. He thrives in space and with movement. UConn runs a grind it out style, especially in the neutral zone, and his talent is a bit wasted.

For his sake I hope you're right, but his lack of speed, toughness, and competitiveness are strikes against his entire game even though he has very good hands, a decent shot, and a long reach.
I also didn't notice until yesterday how shallow the corners are there. It looks like Merrimack. Why did they build it like that? There's so little open space in the offensive zone and it hurts the high skill Fs like Wood. That's a mistake in design.

Isn't the rink built to NHL specs? Are there variations with the corners even if it sits at a standard 200' by 85' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom