UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #2 Boston University Terriers (Friday 2/23/24 @Toscano Family Ice Forum @7p & Saturday 2/24/24 @Agganis Arena @7p). Both games on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
70 mill for what to watch the other team absolutely pathetic and nobody cares.

Reaction Score
70 mill for what to watch the other team absolutely pathetic and nobody cares.

70 mil to support a potential elite NCAA women’s hockey program. In the end they are the real beneficiaries of this place…

Reaction Score
Last 4 Toscano games

Opponents: 18

UConn: 1

UConn majors: 4

Cavs has lost this team. They are undisciplined, lack cohesive play, lack development, and special teams are atrocious. It’s time for a fresh start and more games at the XL for next season.

Reaction Score
BU doesn’t like to get hit, but we lost our poise tonight.
Why would they bother wanting to get physical during garbage time of this game? Why risk injury? This would be like Donovan diving in the floor in the second half of a Georgetown fame.

BU players a few times were literally rushing back to play D while UConn players were trying to lay hits behind he play instead of joining UConns offensive rush. Dumb.

UConn played a fantastic first period and had loads of chances they couldn't bury. Could've easily been a very different game. From there it seemed like they gave up and only cared to lay hits instead of playing.

Cav has run this group into a ditch. It's a shame because a few of his players have some real talent, Wood at the top of that list. Definitely have to wonder if he's the guy who should run this ship. Eric Lang would be a phenomenal fit at UConn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The worst part is I predicted this exact game to a T on spaces the night of the second game at UMass. I laid out this exact scenario- I mangled the hell out of Celebrini's first name, but I predicted this exact thing.

They played a decent first, but the same thing they've been bad at all year cost them- finishing. They don't hit the net. They don't even come close.

In the end, UConn is a dirty team. It is embarrassing. I can abide being bad- it stinks, its sad, but it happens. I cannot and will not stand for being a dirty headhunting team.

Right now, Mike Cavanaugh has built a team full of cheap shot artists. If you wanna watch crappy fighting, go to one of the Saturday night MMA cards at Mohegan or a Wolf Pack game. I wanna watch hockey. This team isn't interested in playing hockey. They're only interested in getting people hurt because they're ticked off.

At least the league will do what the head coach doesn't have the stones to do and bench guys. Which Cav said he'd do. And then he didn't.

Because he's just a coward.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn played a fantastic first period and had loads of chances they couldn't bury. Could've easily been a very different game. From there it seemed like they gave up and only cared to lay hits instead of playing.

Love anything as much as this UConn hockey team loves quitting and you're set for life. They quit all the time. You can see the moment they give up in every game. It always happens. They fold.

Reaction Score
Longtime lurker here.

Let’s get real about a few things.

1. First and foremost. This season is a MASSIVE disappointment. No getting around that. Don’t know what else to say about it, but just sucks.

2. Short term in regards to tonight. Great first period, story of the year can’t finish, 2 mistakes against that team are in the back of the net. BU talent took over from there, with help from orefs letting BU bench call the game.

3. Capone, none of those hits are penalty’s, let alone a 5. Watch the multiple angle replay the BU site provided , like I have. Celebrini ducked at the last moment and I still don’t think there was even head contact. I think he ducked the head contact. He stands up it’s just a hit.

4. I don’t understand what even lead to the whole Mele on the Wood “fight”. 100% clean hit by Pasucci, a whistle blows for no reason, and then all hell breaks loose.

5. Bradley slash, well yeah that’s 5.

6. The complaint on this board seems to be that since Joe Perrira left the staff recruiting has gone down hill. But let’s get real. Joe left jn the spring/summer of 2022. So the current SOPHOMORE class is his recruits. I would also assume he had in a hand in this years freshman class. So let’s stop saying that recruiting has gone downhill since he left, we don’t actually know that yet. To be fair to Joe all of that was done on the promise of a new arena. Versus now they’re recruiting to an actual new arena. The next few years will be the test to this staff, there are no more excuses. Early returns on next years class are promising.

My point in all of this. This year sucks. Let’s take a deep breath and remember where we are in terms of this league and hope for the best.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say they gave up after period 1.
Second period they pull to within one and all of a sudden the officials decide to get involved.
BU draws a call on what some might deem a flop to the ice. 3-1
Capone had what I thought was a lovely hip check and the officials deem it to be another PP.
Pretty soon it's 4-1, UConn players are pissed

Reaction Score
My view is somewhere in the middle. I agree that sometimes teams disappoint in a big way. See it in every sport every year. This UConn team looked to have big problems from the first puck drop. Losing back to back to Holy Cross the way they did was pretty telling. Then they had a meltdown against Merrimack in a game they really should have won. Total undisciplined play. That pattern has just repeated itself all season.

The thing needs to be retooled from the back line to forwards. Sergeev seems like a good enough goalie to me but I’d be on the lookout for a big time guy in the portal. We desperately need defensemen, I think. Small and slow isn’t going to get it done.

What struck me about our forwards is the overall lack of speed. There is some talent, but when I watch them play teams like BU, UMass, BC, they look much slower. I’d be looking for some speed in the portal As well as in recruits. And it goes without saying we desperately need a scorer or 2.

A comment on Wood. I heard 2 interviews with guys who played in the NFL andNBA and they both talked about the transition from high school to college. And they both mentioned how in college they were suddenly going up against “fully grown men” was the phase they used. More developed, stronger, better conditioned and trained. I sort of think Wood hit the same thing. As the youngest player in college hockey, despite his talent, he was suddenly facing 22 year olds who had been working out, playing at a high level for 2-4 years. Next year maybe he is ready to take a big step forward.

And finally on Cavanaugh. He was never my choice. I thought there were better options ant the time annd it was pretty clear York wasn’t handing the program to him when he retired. But I thought he did a decent job annd was starting to turn the corner a couple of years ago. But the loss in the Garden now seems to have been the high point. And he has clearly lost this team. I think he gets another year, but if it a repeat of this one, no way he lasts 2.

Reaction Score
Longtime lurker here.

Let’s get real about a few things.

1. First and foremost. This season is a MASSIVE disappointment. No getting around that. Don’t know what else to say about it, but just sucks.

2. Short term in regards to tonight. Great first period, story of the year can’t finish, 2 mistakes against that team are in the back of the net. BU talent took over from there, with help from orefs letting BU bench call the game.

3. Capone, none of those hits are penalty’s, let alone a 5. Watch the multiple angle replay the BU site provided , like I have. Celebrini ducked at the last moment and I still don’t think there was even head contact. I think he ducked the head contact. He stands up it’s just a hit.

4. I don’t understand what even lead to the whole Mele on the Wood “fight”. 100% clean hit by Pasucci, a whistle blows for no reason, and then all hell breaks loose.

5. Bradley slash, well yeah that’s 5.

6. The complaint on this board seems to be that since Joe Perrira left the staff recruiting has gone down hill. But let’s get real. Joe left jn the spring/summer of 2022. So the current SOPHOMORE class is his recruits. I would also assume he had in a hand in this years freshman class. So let’s stop saying that recruiting has gone downhill since he left, we don’t actually know that yet. To be fair to Joe all of that was done on the promise of a new arena. Versus now they’re recruiting to an actual new arena. The next few years will be the test to this staff, there are no more excuses. Early returns on next years class are promising.

My point in all of this. This year sucks. Let’s take a deep breath and remember where we are in terms of this league and hope for the best.
Pereira is doing a pretty good job in a similar role at BU selling a top notch system and a dynamic coach. (Check out the freshmen on their roster.) You say we need to "remember where we are in terms of this league"? Does that mean that 11 years into scholarship based D-1 with a very well compensated coach that we shouldn't expect much? We should stay in our place? If so, you've lost me! If we were a few years in (or even 5 years) to our scholarship based D-1 existence, maybe you give the benefit of the doubt. But, here we are in year 11 stuck in reverse. After 11 years , I for one, am not content to be a middle of the road (at best) HE team.

I well remember when the two coaching giants at UConn started in the mid eighties. Calhoun and Auriemma started out in the old field house. They each had one losing season in the 4500 capacity barn n/k/a the Greer Field House and then they were off to the races. The men won the NIT in Calhoun's second year and the women started to shine with their first NCAA appearance in Auriemma's 4th year. They have made it every year since! (THANK YOU, DEE ROWE!)

Thinking back to those days, would we have accepted marginal (or worse) performance out of those guys? How good were they? Hell, Toscano Family Arena sits on Jim Calhoun Way. If UConn had to "remember where we are" when Auriemma and Calhoun started at UConn, we be nowhere is men's and women's BB. When we joined the Big East (1st time), Syracuse, PC, Georgetown etc all wished we would "remember where we are". Well, if we did, it only motivated us to not stay in our place. In fact, if all of what UConn, the institution, has become had to "remember where we are", it would not be what it is today. I have zero problem remembering where UConn came from, so long as we ain't there anymore! Simply put, by11 years in, we should be proud of where we came from, but not resigned to it.

This program is at a crossroads. We should expect to be led in the right direction by a very well compensated coach. This is lost year and Cavanaugh has 4 more years on his contract. The AD has no stomach for making a change now, so he has at least next year to make some positive gains so we can all forget where we are this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom