UConn v. #12 UMass Minuteman (Friday 2/9/24 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum & Saturday 2/10/24 @Mullins Center @7p). Both games are on ESPN+/NESN (Sat.) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #12 UMass Minuteman (Friday 2/9/24 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum & Saturday 2/10/24 @Mullins Center @7p). Both games are on ESPN+/NESN (Sat.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s actually worse. Maine, Dartmouth and Sacred Heart were at the XL. So we have 2 wins at Toscano. 2-7 on our home ice. With 5 shutouts. I can’t explain it. But I know these things have a way of becoming real for players even if they try to say they aren’t.
It doesn't help that we haven't found a way to unlock something from our first round draft pick. That's a big part of the issue.
He had a few nice passes or stick handling moves last night, but his shots were from what I will call in-impactful spots on the ice....at least for him.
He's not Tage Thompson and when he lines up at the Tage spot it just doesn't have the same power. Of course he is 18 but last year he was better.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your sentiment, but the cold hard fact is, we were shut out for the sixth time this year. 5 times in the new building. Playing a good hockey game was enough 5-6 years ago. (I’m actually not sure you can get shutout and call it a good game) It just doesn’t cut the mustard In 2024. 11 years in and we have been to Boston once. We deserve better. So do the kids. That said, if we follow recent form, we’ll probably win tonight.
I expected UConn to take a step back this year, especially in the goal scoring department. Tverberg provided a lot of goal scoring last year. The freshmen and sophomore’s will grow and improve, but it’s gonna take time. Also, this year BC and BU (and the top of HE) are really strong, so this is a tough year to compete in HE. Next year BC and BU will lose most of their stars to the NHL, so they will drop back to the pack. In HE the key is to catch BC and BU on down years.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I expected UConn to take a step back this year, especially in the goal scoring department. Tverberg provided a lot of goal scoring last year. The freshmen and sophomore’s will grow and improve, but it’s gonna take time. Also, this year BC and BU (and the top of HE) are really strong, so this is a tough year to compete in HE. Next year BC and BU will lose most of their stars to the NHL, so they will drop back to the pack. In HE the key is to catch BC and BU on down years.
Yeah, but losing one guy shouldn’t result in 6 shutouts. We’re still playing hockey here.

Reaction Score
They also lead to penalties more often than not.
Yeah but it's hockey. And they try to legislate the physicality out it as much as possible compared to when we were young.
The one time i got out of my seat was because of the hit. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Take physical play out of hockey and I won't bother wasting my time

Reaction Score
By the way I see it more and more with our opponents and I assume it's coached but anytime a kid knows he's about to get lined up for a hit on the boards, they turn their body in a way where they are facing the glass knowing that any hit that's even 50% will lead to a boarding call. You have kids out there hunting boarding calls and I'm sure they all know we lead the world in majors and probably boardings.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Haider in net

I’ll say one thing about UMass…they have a lot of size. Their goalie is 6’7”. Also a few big wingers and defensemen. Lucas Mercuri will mix it up with the best of em. The team, overall, is young, big and fast. They’re gonna be really good next year. Heck, they’re already pretty good.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Goalie interference. Should be an easy call.

Reaction Score
Surprised they overturned that based on the incompetence Hockey East officiating is

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Well, I wouldn’t say atrocious, but yes way too many giveaways in our zone. The 2nd UMass goal last night resulted from one. It’s been an ongoing issue for quite some time. They just get sloppy sometimes. Gotta clean that up.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
2-0 could be insurmountable at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of watching Murphy reffing our games. There are no other HE games he can call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom