UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Absolutely great victory and to think to get into the FF we had to have contributions from all seven at one point in time, who da thunk it? I was hoping for Maria Conlon to sudddenly appear to take those late free throws.
With UConn’s win last night, they’re back in the prestigious FF. But that goal would not have been accomplished had Q and Ice not contributed effectively. So, I’m super happy that Geno listened to the Boneyard residents, because he knows we are his unpaid assistants :)

Reaction Score
The play of Ice and Q lend support the contention that Geno underutilized them in the Duke game.
yes.......I guess he could have utilized them and maybe even changed the outcome. The starters would not be as tired and maybe they could have had a nice plane ride home instead of having to get tired again against USC.

Reaction Score
WOW!!!! Rebecca Lobo knew what she was talking about when she said the Huskies would be in the Final Four!!! I hope my neighbors forgive me because I screamed so loudly for the past hour or so!! So proud of the team. Kudos to Geno and his staff, they had the right chess moves tonight! JuJu is the REAL deal and will be a force for years to come...but tonight was OUR night!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!
Yes indeed! Rebecca knew and saw something alot of us didn't see.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
  • When you come to UConn and play for Geno, these are the games you dream about…..the Big Dance in March & April…..with everything on the line. After all that UConn has been through this season; the injuries, the lack of size, experience and depth, somehow this Husky team found a way to take down the #1 seed in their bracket on their way to the program’s 23rd Final Four!!!
  • Once again UConn was led by their incomparable superstar. Paige continues to play a brilliant, complete brand of basketball the likes of which I have never seen before. Paige’s stat line tonight: 28 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.:eek::eek::eek:
  • Ju Ju Watkins is the most talented freshman scorer in WBB since Caitlin Clark. Tonight, she was dogged by Nika, KK and Paige. Despite all the attention, Watkins still managed to put up 29 points. She is the future of WBB. But tonight belonged to UConn!!!
  • I also want to recognize the extraordinary efforts of Aaliyah over the past four games. She’s been playing out of position at center all season. Coming back after a broken nose, Aaliyah has been matched up against a string of players who go 6’3”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’4” & 6’6” in games vs Jackson St, Syracuse, Duke & USC. In those games Aaliyah has been nothing short of spectacular, battling heroically in the paint against a wave of opposing Bigs.
  • UConn got some solid and much needed PT from Ice & Q tonight, particularly with KK & Nika in foul trouble.
  • The Huskies were fighting fatigue at the end of the game. It certainly showed at the foul line. Somehow they hung in there and pulled it out. YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS TEAM! :)
  • Against all odds, UConn has made it back to another FF. Iowa and CC will be waiting for the Huskies in Cleveland. On paper, Iowa has more experience, more depth and should be the favorite to end UConn’s championship run this year. Yessiree, UConn has them right where we want them…..:cool:
Okay, we played out of our minds, particularly Page. Or, we played to our abilities, you pick. I choose the latter. Somebody pinch me.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay of the game and I am just so happy for the freshmen. I include Ice among the freshmen. Those players stepped up in the big moments!

Q stepping in and making big plays. Ash making plays. KK doing her thing out there. And Ice. I am so proud of her. When she hit that 3 ball towards the end of the 3rd quarter. I was hyped for her. Talk about a confidence boosting moment. That was huge. Then she hit a mid range shot that gave us a two point lead. Huge moments for her and the freshmen.

I am just happy for this squad and coaching staff. All that they have gone through this season and last season. They did well and now on to Friday. Let's go, UConn!!
There was a moment with Ice, I believe it was in the second where Paige got double teamed and I could hear Ice say "PAIGE!" Like she wanted the ball. Paige hesitated a bit but then kicked it to her and she knocked down the open like 18 footer. After that I thought she would have a good game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’ve caught my breath and can think straight. The girls held them to 33% shooting and shot 48% themselves. And they won the rebounding battle.

I’m busy watching replays of horrendous uncalled fouls. I missed the game live because I teach an evening class. My wife texted me as I was coming out of class with the unbelievable news.

Nothing but respect for Paige and Aaliyah and Nika and Ice and Ash and KK and Q!!!!!!!!!!!
You ahoulda has the flu.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Again too many posts to read through, so probably repetitious, but an overall tough group that fought a lot of bumps in the road last night. And to the often maligned freshman Ice Brady, she was so valuable the last 2 games when we fought through foul trouble

Whether or not Watkins gets special treatment I’ll leave to others to debate. She is one crazy talent.

Reaction Score
The crow I ate this morning for breakfast was absolutely delicious. I did not think we stood a chance.
What a gutsy, masterful performance by the players and the coaching staff. It was a coaching masterclass.
Now, I'm going to go watch the replay in a relaxed state of mind.

Reaction Score
What a tremendous game. Our Senior leaders, Paige, Aaliyah and Nika all showed out big time this game. Played all 40 minutes and were still ready for more. A loss wasn’t an option for them. Their drive, leadership, unwavering trust and belief in themselves and their teammates were in no small part what willed this team to a truly signature win for this version of our beloved Huskies.

From Geno right down through Q and Ice, through questionable calls that sat some starters, through the unmasking of Aaliyah, through missed free throws leading to clutch ones, though battles for boards and passing through presses these guys we’re settling for nothing else than a return trip to the final four.

Bring on Iowa, these guys are hungry to meet you in Cleveland!

Reaction Score
We were in foul trouble and at one point late in the game the fouls were 16 to 9. Then USC was forced to foul us. Nika and KK with 4 fouls and didnt foul out. That was HUGE. What UConn accomplished this season with what theyve been through and only with 7 players is second to nothing. Its unbelievable
There's 8 players who suit up and are able to play for the team. Let's respect Ines. She's a contributor, and will do so when her time comes. All the wonderful women/persons on the team have gone through the rigors of the program, knowing what is expected of them.

Reaction Score
For all those critical of Geno’s substitution pattern in the Duke game, we now know Geno reads the Boneyard. Q And Ice both played and contributed. Ok! Maybe it was out of necessity vs reading boneyard, but I think he does. Contributions from everyone got us the win.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The crow I ate this morning for breakfast was absolutely delicious. I did not think we stood a chance.
What a gutsy, masterful performance by the players and the coaching staff. It was a coaching masterclass.
Now, I'm going to go watch the replay in a relaxed state of mind.
You know 7961
I didn't post much this week
because I just couldn't imagine what would happen
But in my heart of hearts, I was with you...
Logic couldn't sustain a victory.

But Basketball is a funny game
If you keep it close, anything can happen
even transcendental stars get cold feet, make mistakes.

JuJu is an amazing talent; ready for W and the world, right now.

But there is something in Paige's competitive makeup that for one night at least (actually the entire, last month) would not allow her friends and family to be bested.

Like the super greats...Koby and Magic come to mind...She's capable of inventing shots as she attacks...and last night she did.

JuJu may be potentially just as great...but she's a kid...her best years are ahead of her.

Paige is like a great bottle of wine; her game is complex, smooth, with the most outrageous finishes...anywhere on the court

That's what makes her (perhaps) even more valuable
than C...who amazingly enough passes up makable shots in the paint....Paige would never do that.

But Iowa is much more than just CC.
So the game will be our kids against their vets
Logic as prior to last night screams that we have not much of a chance...

But if you keep it close; anything can happen....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To this unbelievable team - THANK YOU, THANK YOU for such a great game and an amazing year. Good luck next weekend!

Geno’s Angels at the Dailey Planet!

SuperMühl
Captain Aaliy-ica
Hannibal Bueckers
Slim Shady
The Ice Maiden
The Inêsible Hulk
Samurai
Flash Griffin
Duch Vader
PattMan
Captain Amarvel
Azzi the Vampire Slayer
Jana Nirvana

Reaction Score
As I watched and listened to Geno during his Duke post-game, something occurred to me.
He looked wiped out; he was in "Woe is me" mode; "we're gassed", etc. All of which were true and observable.
Then it hit me. I asked myself, could this possibly be a big ruse?.. A smoke screen?
Geno always puts things out there for a reason. My immediate thought was this was for both teams, UConn and USC to hear, for obviously different reasons.
So, I said to myself, "we shall see".
Loved what I did see, as did most of us!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most people on this board focus on who they don't have on the floor instead of who they do have on the floor. They have two AA players and one of the best defenders in the country coupled with the best coach in the country. Every player on their team would be a key player on any other team and most teams only have a couple that could even play for UConn. With that there should be no surprise.

JuJu was pretty much as advertised. She shot 33% for the game and got bailed out a few times on really tough foul calls on UConn. She really can cause havoc when she goes to the basket but luckily she likes to shoot from the outside more. Paige and AE played great games and the bench proved once again they can play if they get a chance to get in the game. The difference to me is they really competed on the glass and played extremely good defense the second half. Most impressive though was Nika and KK who both had foul issues early but managed to stay on the floor for the whole game and still play great defense.

I don't know if this year prepared to beat a team built like South Carolina but I fully expect them to have a comfortable win against Iowa. Nika can pester CC enough and the others on Iowa will have to shoot with players in their face and that I think will be the difference. Paige and AE will continue to be too much and the supporting cast against Iowa will light them up.

Reaction Score
During the selection show, Lobo was asked what players could be X factors in the tournament. Out of the whole field she said Ice Brady. Wow was she spot on, Ice had some big buckets down the stretch, and played good defense. Honorable mention to Q who really brought energy, toughness, and a 3 ball in the 2nd quarter. Lobo was right about the X factor and Uconn making the final four.

I thought USC would be a big problem because of their height. But by the end of Q1 I knew the team had a chance. It seemed like despite their size, USC is an isolation ball and heavy jump shooting team. They didn’t maximize their size offensively, it really only impeached their rebounding and length on defense.

Juju may have had 1 more point, but I thought Paige had a controlled dominance over the game. On both ends. She’s special, this team is special. Enjoying the ride!

Reaction Score
The old refrain: we have Paige! Though, really would prefer separation of god and basketball. I just don't like it, but their choice.
Seems like ESPN and Yahoo feel the same way. I was watching right after the game when she mentioned her faith, and she always does. I’ve read a number of articles about the game quoting her and none have quoted that portion. A lot of these high performance athletes refer to their faith. It can be cringy sometimes but with Paige you can tell it’s real. I can respect that. ESPN did post that interview on their YouTube page. I haven’t found it on espn.com. I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy or intentional but I haven’t seen it so…….. Kidding aside, when I see her unafraid to say that in that moment it restores my own faith. Fun game to watch. Never saw Watkins play before. She’s goood!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems like ESPN and Yahoo feel the same way. I was watching right after the game when she mentioned her faith, and she always does. I’ve read a number of articles about the game quoting her and none have quoted that portion. A lot of these high performance athletes refer to their faith. It can be cringy sometimes but with Paige you can tell it’s real. I can respect that. ESPN did post that interview on their YouTube page. I haven’t found it on espn.com. I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy or intentional but I haven’t seen it so…….. Kidding aside, when I see her unafraid to say that in that moment it restores my own faith. Fun game to watch. Never saw Watkins play before. She’s goood!!!
To the eternal disappointment of my mother, I am not a particularly religious individual. I am also not fond of individuals who employ religion when it suits them.

But I have enormous respect for people who truly live their religious beliefs, like Paige. Paige is generous, kind and respectful in her dealings with everyone she comes in contact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom