UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
16402402-2914-4C5A-B528-9B445AA54CE9.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m so frickin’ proud of these kids! After the rough 4-3 start to the season, reaching the Final Four seemed highly improbable. Yet here we are! Absolutely amazing play from the three seniors, and the four first year players all contributed to the win especially when foul trouble stacked up. The heart on display tonight was something to see. For some reason I can’t stop smiling.

Reaction Score
Let the great debate now kick into overdrive as to who is the best player in WCBB. Caitlin made her case in the first game of the night, then Paige went out and displayed all the tools in her toolkit.

I realize this is UConn, and many people will say that in order to be considered an all-time great at UConn, the discussion begins with a NC. Whether UConn can add another to their mantle, Paige is already included. This is the 3rd time that Paige has led her team to the Final Four. She may be having the greatest postseason run of any UConn player. Look at her Elite 8 performances: 28 vs Baylor in her freshman year; 27 in a win over NC St in her soph season; and tonight, she added 28 and 3rd straight double-double over the #1 seed in their region. I don't think it is a stretch to say that if Paige was available last year, they wouldn't have lost to OSU.

For all the Boneyarders who were imploring that Paige become more aggressive and shoot more often, I think it's fair to say that your prayers were heard and answered.

This team has exceeded expectations, and an epic showdown between Iowa & UConn lies ahead. While LSU didn't seem to have a clue about how to cover Caitlin, Clark should be ready to get reacquainted with a certain Nika Muhl. Kudos to Nika tonight for keeping composure and remaining in the game with 4 fouls. If anyone can slow down Clark, it's Nika.

Lastly, I want to point out the contributions that Ice Brady & Qadence added. Unexpected, but much appreciated.

Great victory.

Reaction Score
Another achievement for Paige.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With her third NCAA regional Most Outstanding Player honor in three tournaments, <a href="https://twitter.com/paigebueckers1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@PaigeBueckers1</a> joins Maya Moore (<a href="https://twitter.com/MooreMaya?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@MooreMaya</a>) (4, 2008-11), Breanna Stewart (<a href="https://twitter.com/breannastewart?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@breannastewart</a>) (3, 2013, 2015-16) and Diana Taurasi (3, 2001, 2003-04) as <a href="https://twitter.com/UConnWBB?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@UConnWBB</a> players to win at least three.</p>&mdash; carl adamec (@CarlAdamec) <a href="

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
  • When you come to UConn and play for Geno, these are the games you dream about…..the Big Dance in March & April…..with everything on the line. After all that UConn has been through this season; the injuries, the lack of size, experience and depth, somehow this Husky team found a way to take down the #1 seed in their bracket on their way to the program’s 23rd Final Four!!!
  • Once again UConn was led by their incomparable superstar. Paige continues to play a brilliant, complete brand of basketball the likes of which I have never seen before. Paige’s stat line tonight: 28 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.:eek::eek::eek:
  • Ju Ju Watkins is the most talented freshman scorer in WBB since Caitlin Clark. Tonight, she was dogged by Nika, KK and Paige. Despite all the attention, Watkins still managed to put up 29 points. She is the future of WBB. But tonight belonged to UConn!!!
  • I also want to recognize the extraordinary efforts of Aaliyah over the past four games. She’s been playing out of position at center all season. Coming back after a broken nose, Aaliyah has been matched up against a string of players who go 6’3”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’4” & 6’6” in games vs Jackson St, Syracuse, Duke & USC. In those games Aaliyah has been nothing short of spectacular, battling heroically in the paint against a wave of opposing Bigs.
  • UConn got some solid and much needed PT from Ice & Q tonight, particularly with KK & Nika in foul trouble.
  • The Huskies were fighting fatigue at the end of the game. It certainly showed at the foul line. Somehow they hung in there and pulled it out. YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS TEAM! :)
  • Against all odds, UConn has made it back to another FF. Iowa and CC will be waiting for the Huskies in Cleveland. On paper, Iowa has more experience, more depth and should be the favorite to end UConn’s championship run this year. Yessiree, UConn has them right where we want them…..:cool:
I was particularly thrilled with two things; 1. The early appearance and contribution of Qadance Samuels. She logged 14 minutes, hit a three and played good defense. She proved she can help. And this was the elite 8. 2. Ice Brady looked smooth. Some big defensive work and 8 points, including two shots from outside. KK and ASH are struggling a bit at this level, and at this point of the season,. But they are still making this the team what it is. Our three seniors are the load bearers. A terrific and unexpected ( by me ) win.

Reaction Score
Lastly, I want to point out the contributions that Ice Brady & Qadence added. Unexpected, but much appreciated.
Good post, although I would add to "unexpected" and "much appreciated". Critical. We do not win without them. IMO.

PS. I know we all look at points and offense when we acknowledge their contributions, but their defense and hustle were just as important.

Reaction Score
"I told myself I wasn't gonna foul out this game, but I didn't tell myself I wasn't going to get four fouls." -Nika Muhl.
LOL..... How great is Nika!!
Geno asked if he trusted Nika to not pick up that 5th foul. "The word trust doesn't exist between me and Nika." "Did I trust whether she was going to be able to not foul out? No. I prayed."
:D:D

Reaction Score
I’ve caught my breath and can think straight. The girls held them to 33% shooting and shot 48% themselves. And they won the rebounding battle.

I’m busy watching replays of horrendous uncalled fouls. I missed the game live because I teach an evening class. My wife texted me as I was coming out of class with the unbelievable news.

Nothing but respect for Paige and Aaliyah and Nika and Ice and Ash and KK and Q!!!!!!!!!!!
Errands took me into overtime, so I missed the game also, and will have to watch the replay. But I’m truly happy for my team.

Reaction Score
The UCONN/ IOWA game is scheduled to start at 9:30 PM Eastern time, after SC plays NC State at 7PM.
Why does ESPN do this every time?
Couldn't they have a 6PM start for SC/ NC State & an 8:30 PM start for UCONN/ Iowa?
Plus, we know that the 7PM game won't start until 7:20, so the UCONN game start will be delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom