UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We did take more free throws than USC. If you take out the last 8 FTs it was 19 for us and 20 for USC. Thats even.
So you think it was fairly officiated? I thought it was the most horrific job done to us in decades.
There were many no-calls and God-awful calls (especially most of the ones on Nika) but one play I replayed several times I think sums it up pretty well was when in the fourth Q JuJu from the wing position did a back cut to the basket that was wide open. Two points. But the reason it was so open was because Aaliyah wasn't able to make the switch to stop her because she was being held (literally right in front of the ref who was twiddling his thumbs or something). On replay you can see it clearly. Terrible.

But guess we should forget the griping since we got the dub and are moving on to the Final Four! (with a happy, positive attitude - while hoping - praying - that the officiating is better - and most of all fair!)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IN the post game presser Geno said that he suggested to JuJu (at the end of the game) that she
was "ready" for the WNBA draft. ( He was joking about saying that (I assume) but in his
heart ......

I was wondering if JuJu might be age-eligible for the WNBA in 2026, but she's not. She should be in college for 3 more years and in the 2027 draft.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
8E479E19-B5D4-4F25-AE45-AA19E8D12EA2.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know who could check this, but I'll bet UConn has never missed seven foul shots in a row!

In one of the 2013 games against ND--I think in the triple-header--we led Notre Dame in regulation and in the first 2 overtimes, but we couldn't put them away because we missed several free throws. I believe that ND never lead in either of the first 2 OTs.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
  • When you come to UConn and play for Geno, these are the games you dream about…..the Big Dance in March & April…..with everything on the line. After all that UConn has been through this season; the injuries, the lack of size, experience and depth, somehow this Husky team found a way to take down the #1 seed in their bracket on their way to the program’s 23rd Final Four!!!
  • Once again UConn was led by their incomparable superstar. Paige continues to play a brilliant, complete brand of basketball the likes of which I have never seen before. Paige’s stat line tonight: 28 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.:eek::eek::eek:
  • Ju Ju Watkins is the most talented freshman scorer in WBB since Caitlin Clark. Tonight, she was dogged by Nika, KK and Paige. Despite all the attention, Watkins still managed to put up 29 points. She is the future of WBB. But tonight belonged to UConn!!!
  • I also want to recognize the extraordinary efforts of Aaliyah over the past four games. She’s been playing out of position at center all season. Coming back after a broken nose, Aaliyah has been matched up against a string of players who go 6’3”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’4” & 6’6” in games vs Jackson St, Syracuse, Duke & USC. In those games Aaliyah has been nothing short of spectacular, battling heroically in the paint against a wave of opposing Bigs.
  • UConn got some solid and much needed PT from Ice & Q tonight, particularly with KK & Nika in foul trouble.
  • The Huskies were fighting fatigue at the end of the game. It certainly showed at the foul line. Somehow they hung in there and pulled it out. YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS TEAM! :)
  • Against all odds, UConn has made it back to another FF. Iowa and CC will be waiting for the Huskies in Cleveland. On paper, Iowa has more experience, more depth and should be the favorite to end UConn’s championship run this year. Yessiree, UConn has them right where we want them…..:cool:
Very happy for UCONN and Paige.

Reaction Score
I believe Maj Forsberg has been a referee in Big East, including UConn, games.
And the infamous Dee Kantner has officiated in games with teams from almost every conference playing and odds are that she will be on the court in the Final Four.
Is Dee considered to be a poor ref?
Oh please, say it ain’t so!

Jim

Reaction Score
The play of Ice and Q lend support the contention that Geno underutilized them in the Duke game.
In Geno's post game press conference, he mentions how he wasn't going to put Ice in the game unless he had to because of the way she acted during practices in the lead up to the weekend games. He said she was acting as if she lost all confidence, but something clicked once she got into the game and she got her confidence back. Q on the other hand showed much more confidence. Before the USC game she told the assistant coaches "Hey, I think I got my shot back." So she was the first off the bench in the USC game when fouls became an issue.

Reaction Score
Dee is a contrarian ref. She will ignore obvious violations, even shaking her to indicate that everyone is wrong & she is smarter than everybody. Then, she calls fouls nobody else sees that impact the game. You will always know when she refs because she makes the game about her.
Dee lasted in the WNBA for less than a season because of her inconsistency.
But due to her long tenure, she always gets assigned to the biggest games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just like anyone, some people think that she is one of best, others just the opposite.
IMO she seems to make it her mission to let everyone know that she is on the floor and she also seems partial to specific teams and/or players. But these are unproven "facts" and like I said, my opinion.
But on the flip side, she has officiated in over twenty WBB Final Four rounds since 1992 and over ten championship games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Debbie Antonelli is one the more biased announcers in ESPN's stable. She is a know ACC homer. She has nev er coach a game as far as I know. But she spouts off as an expert. She has no love for UConn.

At one point in the game, she was suggesting how Geno should be coaching the game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's the scoring from Ice Brady that was miraculous! She's been a huge disappoint and non-factor the entire season. Yet she's woken up suddenly!!! A miracle!!!
I guess you forgot the 2.5 games she played in the Big East Tournament, making the Big East Tournament team, one of the three Huskies to make it.

Reaction Score
Yeah quite a few said the same after the South Carolina game and Coach Staley's comments.
To the eternal disappointment of my mother, I am not a particularly religious individual. I am also not fond of individuals who employ religion when it suits them.

But I have enormous respect for people who truly live their religious beliefs, like Paige. Paige is generous, kind and respectful in her dealings with everyone she comes in contact with.
You are mistaken about Paige’s ‘religion’. She is a very spiritual person, maybe even religious. There is a vast difference most people don’t understand. You or I can be speaking about God, a higher power or the Divine. That is not religious. A believe in this force is spirituality not religion. Believing in a certain dogma is religion. Paige is an example of a generous, kind and compassionate individual. These are qualities all religions hold, or ought to hold. Go Paige

Reaction Score
Debbie Antonelli is one the more biased announcers in ESPN's stable. She is a know ACC homer. She has nev er coach a game as far as I know. But she spouts off as an expert. She has no love for UConn.

At one point in the game, she was suggesting how Geno should be coaching the game.
She likes to point out mistakes by refs where they missed another call against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom