UConn Tweeting Looking for Walk-Ons | The Boneyard

UConn Tweeting Looking for Walk-Ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Breanna & others associated with the program have tweeted they're seriously looking for Walk-Ons from UConn under graduate students.

Reaction Score
I assume they are taking about existing students, some schools recruit preferred walk-ons. They have a chance to earn scholarships.

Reaction Score
This kind of ticks me off. I'm not against walk-ons, but really, this doesn't look well-planned. The very idea that the National Champion is panhandling for players is hard to fathom.

U

UCONNfan1

This kind of ticks me off. I'm not against walk-ons, but really, this doesn't look well-planned. The very idea that the National Champion is panhandling for players is hard to fathom.
This was my thought as well. If I understand correctly, the only people eligible to be walk ons are students on campus. So tweeting and making it a public "plea" does seem a bit like panhandling. Not sure how they could have contacted only students on campus. You'd almost think they could have the faculty mention it in every classroom, which would certainly reach more students than tweets from the players.

Then again I'm older than those kids so maybe tweeting is the way to go. Still... it does seem a bit odd to me...

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
This was my thought as well. If I understand correctly, the only people eligible to be walk ons are students on campus. So tweeting and making it a public "plea" does seem a bit like panhandling. Not sure how they could have contacted only students on campus. You'd almost think they could have the faculty mention it in every classroom, which would certainly reach more students than tweets from the players.

Then again I'm older than those kids so maybe tweeting is the way to go. Still... it does seem a bit odd to me...

It would reach more people sure, but if you think of the people who follow the girls on Twitter, tweeting it would reach more of the specific type of people they need

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Weird. If it is happening without the blessing of coaching staff.... If it is happening with the blessing of coaching staff the word changes from weird to bizzaro. Geno and Co. have had plenty of time to deal with any such perception of pressing need. Geno has said that the no tweeting rule during season was to protect the players from themselves and this looks like a good demonstration of why that was a good idea.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Weird. If it is happening without the blessing of coaching staff.... If it is happening with the blessing of coaching staff the word changes from weird to bizzaro. Geno and Co. have had plenty of time to deal with any such perception of pressing need. Geno has said that the no tweeting rule during season was to protect the players from themselves and this looks like a good demonstration of why that was a good idea.

This has nothing to do with players making bad decisions on Twitter. They provided an email of a woman who works for the basketball team, so the coaches know about it

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"They provided an email of a women...." Kait14 can you elaborate? email address to contact?

Reaction Score
Saw two girls play yesterday in the JCC all-star game that were All-FCIAC First Team that will be 'attending' UCONN.
They both could play D2 ball. We could use bodies in the fall.

Reaction Score
I don't really see a problem. I can think of plenty of professors who wouldn't want to be promoting the basketball team in their classroom setting. So why not get the message out from the players themselves? I guess some flyers couldn't have hurt but I don't see the harm in this either.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A wee bit strange, but not a big story. I think some HS or JC players at Uconn might feel that Uconn was too big a program to even consider them and the players are just getting the word out that there is always room for a committed player. The team could certainly use some more bodies, but I gathered from a story years ago that most years there are a few women who come in to try and be a walk-on but very few ever make it beyond the first week - not based on talent (the coaches really don't care too much about that) but based on the commitment level required.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I get it. They want practice bodies and who knows, maybe someone will show up who can actually contribute beyond practice. But Geno and company have had a lot better look at this situation than any of us, and I can think of 4 or 5 ways to address this more effectively than an internet wanted ad.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I get it. They want practice bodies and who knows, maybe someone will show up who can actually contribute beyond practice. But Geno and company have had a lot better look at this situation than any of us, and I can think of 4 or 5 ways to address this more effectively than an internet wanted ad.
Like?

Facebook?

Reaction Score
A wee bit strange, but not a big story. I think some HS or JC players at Uconn might feel that Uconn was too big a program to even consider them and the players are just getting the word out that there is always room for a committed player. The team could certainly use some more bodies, but I gathered from a story years ago that most years there are a few women who come in to try and be a walk-on but very few ever make it beyond the first week - not based on talent (the coaches really don't care too much about that) but based on the commitment level required.

Good point, I think there is a NCAA 20 hour rule. Which means no more than 20 hours per week of practice, meetings, etc. In reality everyone spends more than 20 hours a week on basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Like?

One would be seeing who the gym rats were and asking members of the AD about folks who can dribble. I would have been doing JUCO real hard before I licensed my team to start recruiting in the off season. For this program it is beyond silly.

Reaction Score
we need players, not just for practice, but for the last few minutes of the many blowouts we will have next season. Who needs starters in the game during a 105-36 AAC game?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
we need players, not just for practice, but for the last few minutes of the many blowouts we will have next season. Who needs starters in the game during a 105-36 AAC game?
You got that right. When you are gonna have Rutgers, USF and Cincinnati vying for the 3rd/4th spot in the league.......oh that's gonna be ugly.

Reaction Score
You got that right. When you are gonna have Rutgers, USF and Cincinnati vying for the 3rd/4th spot in the league.......oh that's gonna be ugly.
Somebody has to take Heather's minutes. Losing 3 adding only 1. If there is room for walk-ons might as well get them started now

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Somebody has to take Heather's minutes. Losing 3 adding only 1. If there is room for walk-ons might as well get them started now
Actually adding 2 1/2. Chong, Pope and Banks. :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised that the regular recruiting efforts do not include nearby (southern New England) high school basketball players in the mold of Jacquie Fernandes who can be full-time, fully committed, end-of-bench team members in exchange for a regular basketball scholarship or at least the chance to earn one after a year. That is a very useful type of player, although mainly if not exclusively for practice and garbage time in games. It's a good deal for both the student and the team.

It doesn't make sense to recruit someone like Lauren Engeln to be that kind of player and make her travel that far from home to do so. It makes much more sense if the player is local and might be inclined to attend UConn even if basketball were not in the picture, but who would appreciate the free ride and the adventure of traveling and being on a top-tier team. That (particularly the chance for a scholarship) would make the time commitment feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom