"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | Page 8 | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think whaler has gone way overboard in wanting to drown the basketball program so that Benedict and Herbst can get their just desserts, but he does have a point. The only reason we are even in this mess is because KO's attorney took Benedict behind the woodshed when negotiating the final extension. Considering this is the second time Benedict put a (relatively) exorbitant buyout into the contract of a coach who washed out, he deserves a lot more ire than he's actually getting.
The good news is the buyout on Hurley's contract is more sensible.

The better news is that I'm doubtful that we will need to use it.

Agree that Benedict (and more so UConn's counsel who should cleaned it up) dropped the ball on KO's contract.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There can be no rational discussion with you about this issue because your entire perspective is premised upon two suppositions which you have no evidence of, namely: (1) Glenn Miller is lying; and (2) his cooperation with the NCAA was encouraged by UConn as a means of ousting Ollie.

I guess your definition of "fighting a PR battle" is the schools alumni and fan base knowing some of the underlying facts and supporting their decision. A more objective person might view that as evidence that they made the correct choice.

You accuse those who support the school of situational ethics, but are willing to completely disregard or minimize the significance of all allegations of NCAA violations committed by Ollie.
So you're saying @whaler11 won this round?

Reaction Score
So you accept the obvious fact that Calhoun blessed Miller’s actions.

You’d propose that Calhoun would then in an effort to damage Ollie - would weaponize Miller against the athletic department (one that pays him hundreds of thousands of dollars for essentially a no show job while he works at another basketball program fulltime) without the consent of Herbst.

It is just a coincidence that Miller and Calhoun went to settle a personal score - UConn self-reported some nonsense violations and Glen Miller just happened to fall into their laps.

This isn’t a conspiracy theory - it’s just what happened.

As for the money, they don’t have it because they are inept. I didn’t think it was enough money for them to let a rat loose with the NCAA against their own organization.

Think about that. They are so wholly inept that they needed the NCAA to clean up their mess and the way they attempted to do that was by enlisting a rat.

Then the best this rat can do is invent half baked third hand accounts of what he wife told him after he was fired.

Sure this mother spilled to her about 30k in cash from Ollie and she sat on that tidbit until he was fired.

Not only did they use a rat - they used one that can’t even tell a credible lie in order to not implicate himself.

Cheer them on because your interests align with theirs (saving money), but y’all have lost the plot and can’t even figure out who the bad guys are.

It's possible even if UConn didn't give their "blessing" to Miller to go rat, he would have done it anyway. He was fired by Ollie and was pissed off because of it. Again, you're treating everything you say - stuff you don't know for sure - as 100% fact and belittling everyone else if they don't treat your assumptions as fact.

Calhoun does whatever the hell he wants anyway. You think at his age he's going to take directions from Benedict or Herbst if he thinks things should go in a different direction? I mean I suppose it's possible but I'm thinking not. Then again I won't treat my beliefs on Calhoun as 100% fact as you do, so it's all conjecture. Including your tidbit on UConn having a backdoor deal with Miller to rat.

As for the money, how exactly is their inability to just hand out 10 million on a whim because of their ineptitude unless you are blaming them for the AAC deal - or blaming them for not being in the ACC. Are you going to say if we had any other president or AD we'd definitely be in the ACC by now and that outside sources have nothing to do with it? You can't blame the president or AD for not being in the ACC because you already blamed the fanbase as being the reason we aren't in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think whaler has gone way overboard in wanting to drown the basketball program so that Benedict and Herbst can get their just desserts, but he does have a point. The only reason we are even in this mess is because KO's attorney took Benedict behind the woodshed when negotiating the final extension. Considering this is the second time Benedict put a (relatively) exorbitant buyout into the contract of a coach who washed out, he deserves a lot more ire than he's actually getting.
He negotiated into Ollie's contract that he can fire him for just about any NCAA violation and not pay him a dime. If he wins the arbitration case will you say that he was taken to the woodshed?

I'm not going to lash into Benedict too much because he has turned Diaco/Ollie into Edsall/Hurley. I give people who do that some extra rope. Benedict didn't hire Diaco and when he found away to get rid of him despite the cries of some people on this board that he wouldn't be able to pull it off - well he did.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie can get a job again in a few years at a mid-major easily. People have done worse and got hired again. He has a ring and a name that would attaract fans of a mid-major program. He would have to prove he can coach and win at a lower D1 school for a while before he can get back to the majors. Thats what Hurley and most coaches had to do to start their careers, Ollie was handed a Blue Blood program thanks to Calhoun before ever being a head coach before.
Ollie did a masterful job in taking Calhoun,s recruits and out coaching HOF coaches to a national title. I don’t know what happened to him personally to turn the tide although there are plenty of innuendos Here on the Boneyard. However, his loss of recruits and his own players two years in a row, failing to build on a national championship indicate issues. The fact that players didn’t transfer out in mass as believed to happen before he was fired further support the premises of issues. All of that will be hard to overcome for him unless he can clearly demonstrate he has overcome whatever went wrong personally.

Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
Ollie did a masterful job in taking Calhoun,s recruits and out coaching HOF coaches to a national title. I don’t know what happened to him personally to turn the tide
It could be a simple as he lacks the experience to develop players.

Reaction Score
He signed a contract and he expected UConn to honor it. He clearly made a bad decision there.

So classic Nelson. Absolutely hysterical. Kevin Ollie was the first one who failed to honor that contract since it includes zero tolerance for NCAA rules violations.

He signed a contract and UConn expected him to honor it. They clearly made a bad decision there.

There, fixed it for you.

What color is the sky in your world ?!

Reaction Score
In an indirect way, they do, because Ollie's team can easily make the counter case that these violations occur everywhere and are only being brought to light because of the contract situation. The distinction between walking on glass and careening through a China shop is not communicated by the language used in the contract. To the extent that Kevin Ollie ever had an opportunity to fully comply, with watch dogs at every corner and the barrel of the gun plastered to his forehead, is unclear. I would think that it's very possible for the entire premise to be voided based on unrealistic or unfaithful negotiating tactics, especially if no precedent for this kind of action exists. A contract isn't worth the paper it's written on if there's no neutral party to keep score.

I mean, the contract literally states that "a violation by the Coach of any law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University" can trigger the cause. That's laughable, and if you followed every contract to that decimal, none of them would ever get signed. Ollie's agent probably viewed it as a complete throwaway clause that the University would use to tout their commitment to compliance. That's the only explanation. The only explanation is that it was literally too ridiculous to worry about. If you want to make yourself the judge, jury, and executioner, what's the point of even having a buyout? Everyone knows what's going on here. Even the people who support the school's move acknowledge the deceit. Really difficult to have any faith in our legal system if a desperation heave like this from a broke institution gets rewarded.

Reaction Score
It could be a simple as he lacks the experience to develop players.
He never seemed to motivate the players. There's nothing wrong with self motivation but if that's what you're going for then recruit those types of kids.

CL82

Reaction Score
He never seemed to motivate the players. There's nothing wrong with self motivation but if that's what you're going for then recruit those types of kids.
Disagree. I think KO did a masterful job with the 2012-2013 and the 2013-2014 teams, but these were kids whose conditioning skills and work ethic were honed by Jim Calhoun. There has been a lot of speculation on the board as to what happened. I suspect we may get a good sense over the next 12 months.

Reaction Score
UCONN didn't expect KO to obey the contract. It expected him to win. Violations are a cost of doing business in this world.

This is what is so hypocritical about this whole situation. When you fire someone for cause due to ethical violations, you are supposed to actually care that the ethical violations occurred. You are supposed to be defending the moral principle that was violated. You are supposed to do this at the expense of self-interest for the sake of that principle. Is any of this the case? No.

This is leverage intended to save $10 million. That's the only principle involved.

Reaction Score
Just some questions. Ollie is out, and Calhoun stays? KO shoots hoops with a kid, so is that on a par with paying agents for future Arizona players? How do Ollie's transgressions compare to years of cheating and deceit inside UNC mens' and womens' basketball? Does the punishment fit the crime? What the he'll is this all about?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A. Deadspin is the worst website on the internet

B. I hope this doesn’t affect our recruiting ie Uconn screws coaches for “minor violations” ie Ollie spreads negative Uconn garbage to his contacts

Reaction Score
Ollie did a masterful job in taking Calhoun,s recruits and out coaching HOF coaches to a national title. I don’t know what happened to him personally to turn the tide although there are plenty of innuendos Here on the Boneyard. However, his loss of recruits and his own players two years in a row, failing to build on a national championship indicate issues. The fact that players didn’t transfer out in mass as believed to happen before he was fired further support the premises of issues. All of that will be hard to overcome for him unless he can clearly demonstrate he has overcome whatever went wrong personally.
Ollie's a terrible practice and teaching coach, does not have a clue on how to coach up young players. Kids can sense this too which reflects on his so-so recruiting. Something not nearly as important in the NBA as in the college game. It would not surprise me to see him end up coaching in the NBA and do quite well.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

It's possible even if UConn didn't give their "blessing" to Miller to go rat, he would have done it anyway. He was fired by Ollie and was pissed off because of it. Again, you're treating everything you say - stuff you don't know for sure - as 100% fact and belittling everyone else if they don't treat your assumptions as fact.

Calhoun does whatever the hell he wants anyway. You think at his age he's going to take directions from Benedict or Herbst if he thinks things should go in a different direction? I mean I suppose it's possible but I'm thinking not. Then again I won't treat my beliefs on Calhoun as 100% fact as you do, so it's all conjecture. Including your tidbit on UConn having a backdoor deal with Miller to rat.

As for the money, how exactly is their inability to just hand out 10 million on a whim because of their ineptitude unless you are blaming them for the AAC deal - or blaming them for not being in the ACC. Are you going to say if we had any other president or AD we'd definitely be in the ACC by now and that outside sources have nothing to do with it? You can't blame the president or AD for not being in the ACC because you already blamed the fanbase as being the reason we aren't in the ACC.

Calhoun had nothing to do with it - period.

Reaction Score

I'm kinda thinking...all GM has now is to try to stay, for as long as he can, under JC's wing....
I doubt, but have no way of knowing, that UConn has any kind of deal with him.
He might actually be in a yuckier position than Ollie....not that there's anything wrong with that...

Reaction Score
UCONN didn't expect KO to obey the contract. It expected him to win. Violations are a cost of doing business in this world.

This is what is so hypocritical about this whole situation. When you fire someone for cause due to ethical violations, you are supposed to actually care that the ethical violations occurred. You are supposed to be defending the moral principle that was violated. You are supposed to do this at the expense of self-interest for the sake of that principle. Is any of this the case? No.

This is leverage intended to save $10 million. That's the only principle involved.
does any of that change the fact that ollie has a contract that says he can't break NCAA rules and then he went and broke NCAA rules?

no. so everything you said doesn't matter. Have you considered that there are other reasons for his firing besides W/L and besides what's been stated as cause? Because if you think we know everything then you're naive.

C

Chief00

I'm kinda thinking...all GM has now is to try to stay, for as long as he can, under JC's wing....
I doubt, but have no way of knowing, that UConn has any kind of deal with him.
He might actually be in a yuckier position than Ollie....not that there's anything wrong with that...
Miller will never coach again at UConn and probably at any other D1 school. Yeah he got immunity - what Coach in his right mind would hire him - and have him repeat his rat scenario.

Reaction Score
Just some questions. Ollie is out, and Calhoun stays? KO shoots hoops with a kid, so is that on a par with paying agents for future Arizona players? How do Ollie's transgressions compare to years of cheating and deceit inside UNC mens' and womens' basketball? Does the punishment fit the crime? What the he'll is this all about?
Winning games, and coaching up young kids that need it. If he had done that he'd still be our coach. His goose was cooked over two years ago and then 20 and 30 point blowouts started becoming common place last year, along with nail biters against teams we should have beaten easily.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom