UConn trio highlights Midseason Wooden list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn trio highlights Midseason Wooden list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A question for those who feel Gabby should've been included in this list: Would you have been less upset if Gabby were included but not Kia?

Just something I'm curious about.

Yes.

I'm not extremely upset though.

Reaction Score
A question for those who feel Gabby should've been included in this list: Would you have been less upset if Gabby were included but not Kia?

Not at all

Reaction Score
Absurd that Kalani Brown isn't on the list. She's having a much better year than Nina Davis.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Absurd that Kalani Brown isn't on the list. She's having a much better year than Nina Davis.
I would've included Gabby before Kia... If we're being honest, Gabby's progression (along with Samuelson's and Collier's) as a player is one of the biggest reason's UConn has been able to keep winning games. Kia isn't really doing impressive or anything that she hasn't done before. Gabby is playing like the best player on the floor most nights...
That is just too thoughtful and reflects that you have actually watched some games. I'll be blunt: Gabby is the best player on the floor most nights and should not only be on the list she should be winning the award.
The reason Kia (and many other players like Nina Davis ) are still on the list is because each was picked pre-season conference POY.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I love Gabby and certainly think she is worthy of being on the list, but I don't want to downplay what Kia means for this team - to me she is the heart of the team around whom the others circulate doing their things. She has started all but one senior night game of the 90 game win streak, and while she hasn't made a dramatic leap this year like the sophomores and Gabby and Saniya, that is only because she was already such a steady presence through her freshman and sophomore years. She has grown in leadership ways, but her game has remained constant.

Reaction Score
Actually Gabby deserves to be on the list instead of Kia. Kia is a very good player but not a transcendental player that warrants a POY. There are plenty of names on this list that are nice but not great.

Amen to that.

Reaction Score
Gabby is going to get cheated this year, much the same way Morgan Tuck was in her junior year. Hopefully next year she will get the honors and respect she deserves.

Reaction Score
I'll complain.....Gabby Williams is one of the best college players in America and should be on the list.

Really by excluding her they are saying defense is only marginally important as a basketball player. It would be hard pressed to pick a more complete defense player in the game. Who else can play against 6'6" centers and also take on a guard? Who can run as she can, rebound over everyone, create as many steals, make multiple blocks, and deny the pass to the opposing player? A true shutdown corner (football reference.)

I admit I do not watch most of the other teams but read up and watch highlights of top teams, and even though Geno made the statement about seeing her live I think she appears pretty good on the screen too.

The think thing about the UConn women is that their team balance hurts them for individual recognition at times because for example, Lou could be averaging over 25+. If Gabby was only one of two stars on a team she would easily be at 18+12+5+5. Does not sound right saying it when they have the most players nominated but regardless.... Of the Top teams we played the only opposing player that I could consider picking over her is Kelsey Mitchell from OS if I were building a team.

Reaction Score
Williams is MVP of wcbb.

I love Gabby and she should be in the running, but not ready to say she is POY. He offensive game still requires a bit of work if we are being honest. Her mid-range shot is stationary and just starting to be effective, but not to the point where teams won't back off her to let her shoot it. She has no drive pull up shot, deep shooting and its a problem for a forward much less a guard (her true position.) So what I am getting at is that a good portion of her offense is part of the team she is on. Someone like Lou can create and score from anywhere, much less a Kelsey Plum..... That said, and as I posted earlier in the thread, her defense is dominate. One other point is who Geno picked to start last year, Lou or Gabby? She was just as a physical specimen and a year ahead in the UConn system, but Lou got the start.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn gets a ton of recognition and so do their players - they get squeezed on the AA ballot occasionally with the three player rule, but it isn't a given that if they could nominate four that having so many choices might not actually result in only two getting enough votes with the 3rd and 4th players splitting single votes, when with only three, three have made the team.

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out and which three get those nominations at the end of the season. It would be a tough choice to make. There is a certain amount of inertia in these lists just as there is in team rankings. That DD was included or that Nina Davis is still included is a manifestation of that. DD did not have a good enough last year to warrant inclusion on the initial list but got that nod based on her freshman reputation, and Nina is still included based on her 2015 and 2016 seasons and not on her performance this year. Kia is included more on being the returning two year starter on Uconn than a comparison of her with Gabby.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Really by excluding her they are saying defense is only marginally important as a basketball player. It would be hard pressed to pick a more complete defense player in the game. Who else can play against 6'6" centers and also take on a guard? Who can run as she can, rebound over everyone, create as many steals, make multiple blocks, and deny the pass to the opposing player? A true shutdown corner (football reference.)

I admit I do not watch most of the other teams but read up and watch highlights of top teams, and even though Geno made the statement about seeing her live I think she appears pretty good on the screen too.

The think thing about the UConn women is that their team balance hurts them for individual recognition at times because for example, Lou could be averaging over 25+. If Gabby was only one of two stars on a team she would easily be at 18+12+5+5. Does not sound right saying it when they have the most players nominated but regardless.... Of the Top teams we played the only opposing player that I could consider picking over her is Kelsey Mitchell from OS if I were building a team.

You had me before Kelsey Mitchell.:eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
You had me before Kelsey Mitchell.:eek::eek::eek:

Ha... I know when I was typing her name out that some would object, but she is a game changer and if she was on UConn (thus being coached and in the same system) where she had the same assets to work with ..... her skill set is undeniable. She has one of the best dribble drives in the game, can shoot and distribute. That said, notice I highlighted "consider" over Gabby.

Just curious who would you take over Gabby of the teams we played if you had to pick one player?

Reaction Score
Even the LVs message board says Gabby is the best player on the team and should be on the list.

Reaction Score
I dont know much about the other players because I generally only watch UCONN games. Based on how most of those players performed against UCONN, Gabby should be on the list.

Reaction Score
All I know is that if someone took a poll of the players Gabby has defended this year, big, small, and in-between, they would definitely have her on THEIR AA list for sure.

Reaction Score
Gabby is better but Kia has been more consistent as of late. She has been earning her recognition lately.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ha... I know when I was typing her name out that some would object, but she is a game changer and if she was on UConn (thus being coached and in the same system) where she had the same assets to work with ..... her skill set is undeniable. She has one of the best dribble drives in the game, can shoot and distribute. That said, notice I highlighted "consider" over Gabby.

Just curious who would you take over Gabby of the teams we played if you had to pick one player?

I know you highlighted "considered" and my response was just meant as a light hearted joke. Now to your question.

I am not sure I would pick anyone over Gabby (cant choose Breanna Stewart or Mariah Jefferson?) She would in essence be my first choice over all the current UConn players. I know her offense is just developing but her offensive tools near the basket, her wow plays which really
deflate the other team, offensive - defensive rebounding, assists (best passer on team) and the true heart of the defense (not just physically but the communication). Geno joked she is Lawrence Taylor but I would say she is a blend of Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson.

However, if you want me to select outside the UConn family

Well. Based on what I had seen and my feeling that if you want to build a team from scratch, I might try to first get a dominant post.

I would probably take Brionna Jones (MD) This is based on the MD vs UConn games. I have seen as well as the few MD vs others I have seen. I think she is really dominant pulling triple teams and is better than Aja Wilson or Alanna Coates in the big games I have seen. Maybe Osahor (Washington) because of her rebounding, 3pt shot and passing (Love watching her. She is so unique).

I like Kelsey Mitchell as a physical player with all the offensive tools. She is a trip to watch. Lightning fast with the best handle in WCBB. Unlimted 3 pt range etc. Not sure about her defense? I also know she is not a 'ball hog' by nature and can distribute the ball but usually on fast breaks and not structured sets (I know it is mainly the coaches fault). However, I am infected with UConn fever so I simply cant deal with such high volume players taking high difficulty shots so quickly in the shot clock. Over time, that costs you as many games as it saves you. As a guard who would fit in better in the UConn approach I demand, give me Kelsey Plum which to me is a nice blend between Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. Not sure if she can play defense but not too many guards can.

Reaction Score
I know you highlighted "considered" and my response was just meant as a light hearted joke. Now to your question.

I am not sure I would pick anyone over Gabby (cant choose Breanna Stewart or Mariah Jefferson?) She would in essence be my first choice over all the current UConn players. I know her offense is just developing but her offensive tools near the basket, her wow plays which really
deflate the other team, offensive - defensive rebounding, assists (best passer on team) and the true heart of the defense (not just physically but the communication). Geno joked she is Lawrence Taylor but I would say she is a blend of Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson.

However, if you want me to select outside the UConn family

Well. Based on what I had seen and my feeling that if you want to build a team from scratch, I might try to first get a dominant post.

I would probably take Brionna Jones (MD) This is based on the MD vs UConn games. I have seen as well as the few MD vs others I have seen. I think she is really dominant pulling triple teams and is better than Aja Wilson or Alanna Coates in the big games I have seen. Maybe Osahor (Washington) because of her rebounding, 3pt shot and passing (Love watching her. She is so unique).

I like Kelsey Mitchell as a physical player with all the offensive tools. She is a trip to watch. Lightning fast with the best handle in WCBB. Unlimted 3 pt range etc. Not sure about her defense? I also know she is not a 'ball hog' by nature and can distribute the ball but usually on fast breaks and not structured sets (I know it is mainly the coaches fault). However, I am infected with UConn fever so I simply cant deal with such high volume players taking high difficulty shots so quickly in the shot clock. Over time, that costs you as many games as it saves you. As a guard who would fit in better in the UConn approach I demand, give me Kelsey Plum which to me is a nice blend between Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. Not sure if she can play defense but not too many guards can.

Great convo. Its a tough call between the three (Pheese, gabby and Lou) on who I would pick but Lou is underrated in some areas. I think she is actually better than Gabby with the ball as assists are not always the full story. Watching her pass both last year and especially this year I am super impressed. She holds the ball for a split second and has less turnovers than Gabby. Again, love gabby but when the ball game is on the line whose number are you going to call on UConn to win the game?

Reaction Score
Not at all
Oops! Just realized I didn't read closely enough. Yes I would be less upset if Gabby were included but not Kia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom