UConn to unveil ‘meaner’ Husky logo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to unveil ‘meaner’ Husky logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/3/12/4094608/new-uconn-logo-husky-jonathan-meaner#

Look at the poll results 2/3rds of the way down. 46% don't want any change.

Checked out past and current logos of PLENTY of championship programs and all have redone their logos at some point. This resistance against a new logo is ridiculous, IMO. The "traditional" Husky seems outdated. Anyone ever notice UNC changed their logo? So did Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Washington, etc, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/3/12/4094608/new-uconn-logo-husky-jonathan-meaner#

Look at the poll results 2/3rds of the way down. 46% don't want any change.

Checked out past and current logos of PLENTY of championship programs and all have redone their logos at some point. This resistance against a new logo is ridiculous, IMO. The "traditional" Husky seems outdated. Anyone ever notice UNC changed their logo? So did Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Washington, etc, etc, etc.
I was actually thinking a few weeks ago that maybe it would be a good idea to have a vote. I think at this point its inevitable that there will be a change, so what i would do is select 3-5 "new" logos because im sure the people in charge of designing it came up with different ideas, and have the current students/alumni vote on which one they want. I like that idea better then just ambushing everyone with a new logo. Obviously nobody wants the change anyway so at least let us choose what our brand will look like for the future.

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking a few weeks ago that maybe it would be a good idea to have a vote. I think at this point its inevitable that there will be a change, so what i would do is select 3-5 "new" logos because im sure the people in charge of designing it came up with different ideas, and have the current students/alumni vote on which one they want. I like that idea better then just ambushing everyone with a new logo. Obviously nobody wants the change anyway so at least let us choose what our brand will look like for the future.
That would be nice but that is something they would do in the old days. Looking at this message board, I don't blame the school administrators in no vote. For example, some people keep saying our mascot is really a malamute. It's actually a white Siberian husky.

http://www.huskycolors.com/white.html

I do hope they keep the white Siberian husky for the logo. That will be our biggest distinction from all other "husky" logos.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Where did you find this?

This is official, it has the license tag that you see on all official purchased merchandise. Looks like this is the "unified branding". Almost exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Basically took the Men's BBall logo and simplified it, and added the red and gray accents to everything. The gray differentiates us from Arizona or other red-white-blue schools. If this is the actual change, I love it. Can't wait to see the new dog and uniforms.
I searched 'Connecticut rebranding' in the hope that someone left something interesting the in the public domain (such as the comparison of key UConn academic factors to the B1G that floats around the site from time to time.) It is amazing what people leave hanging around. I figured it was a one in four shot of coming up with the new Husky design. While I did't get that, this was interesting and makes me feel better about the way the rebranding is being approached.

Reaction Score
I did a quick search online and found this:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...3/misc_non_event/2012-13_UConn_Logo_Sheet.pdf

Has anyone seen it before?
Interesting take aways:
Note the font on all the names on the right. I think that is where we may be going.
Both red and gray are listed as official accent colors with specific pantone values designated for these colors.
Note the absence of Connecticut as a primary or secondary mark.
Each sport is listed with the same font and UConn.
Note that our "blue" is now navy blue, not national flag blue, I'm not sure if the pantone value listed was changed.
The date of this publication in Nov. 29, 2012.
Note that the "dog head mark" is discontinued as of the end of the year but other marks shown are not.

Good find. Looks like we know everything but what the new dog looks like.

Basically, we have officially added red to everything (good). And it's all about UConn (also good). I hope the new head looks good, I'm sure it will. I bet the change is more subtle than people are thinking it will be...

Reaction Score

A very wise, wealthy, successful man who created a company with a piece of fruit as it's logo once said "the people don't know what they want until we give it to them". Nike is the Apple of sports branding. I trust they are thinking the same thing here.

Reaction Score
Is the link to the PDF still working for people? I can't access it...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I love the idea of new logos and branding. It's about time. Change is good..our old logo has us in the same conference as Tulane...

In the PDF...I love the "Huskies" with the red background.

Reaction Score
I Googled "new uconn logo" and this popped up:

UCKrav_logo.jpg

When Malamutes Go Wild. (Don't panic - it's just someone's Twitter account sig pic.)

Reaction Score
I Googled "new uconn logo" and this popped up:

UCKrav_logo.jpg

When Malamutes Go Wild. (Don't panic - it's just someone's Twitter account sig pic.)

Honestly - I would not be surprised if the revised logo turns Jonathan's head so he's facing straight forward as opposed to it's current "profile" view. It allows you to angle the eyes and eyebrows in a slightly more aggressive manner like the news article mentions.

Reaction Score
It's nothing surprisng, other than the consistency of red and grey as secondary colors. Here's the wordmark:

FDopO8V.jpg

The rest of the logos are the traditional university (non-athletics) font, oak leaf seal, and the husky mascot logo that's going to be replaced. (edit - the only thing the document said specifically would be replaced is the mascot logo...)
Not bad but I could do without the red background. A touch of red trim isn't bad. But our colloers are Blue and White.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I am a nerd, but in my field. When it comes to design and typography, I can't measure up to those nerds. They are really into it. There's a whole documentary about Helvetica font (it's not bad, if you like documentaries). Then there's the people who hate Comic Sans font the way UConn fans hate the wildcat.

And on the sports design side, I'm sure you're already familiar with Paul Lukas's Uniwatch column/blog.

In case anyone is wondering the names of the fonts we use are UConnCondensed and UConnExtended. They are proprietary fonts created for the exclusive use of the University of Connecticut Athletic Department. A similar font is Micronica.

Also - I am actually glad they are switching over to UCONN and ditching Connecticut. I know some people will think differently but I think UCONN is a brand random fans w/ no allegiance to the state or school can get behind.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of new logos and branding. It's about time. Change is good..our old logo has us in the same conference as Tulane...

In the PDF...I love the "Huskies" with the red background.

Err, um. Our old logo had us winning the national championship. Our new logo will be in a conference with Tulane.

Regardless, I like the new lettering. Looks funky.

Reaction Score
I like UCONN too. It is a brand, similar to UCLA (University of California at Los Angeles)or Georgia Tech (the Georgia Institute of Technology) or for that matter Army (the United States Military Academy) or Navy(the United States Naval Academy) or if you really want to get ugly, BC (Boston College) and BU(Boston University). It is how we are known. And have been known for 50 years, truth be told.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I really dislike the use of red for anything besides outlines to the lettering and accents on the uniforms.

Anyone else remember when Nike gave the students those red tee shirts and it looked like St Johns or even Cuse? No way red can ever be a primary color.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would be pleased, if these were the primary marks. It would mean keeping the Block C, only outlined in red instead of gray, opening up a bunch of uniform options. The MBB uni's already use this font and looks great. It also suggests that the changes to the husky logo are minor in nature, another plus.

If you look at the older logo sheets, there are four or five different fonts and logos. The 2012 one is much, much cleaner and would sync with the unification theme we keep hearing about. I just hope they don't "New Coke" poor Jonathan.

Reaction Score
I would be pleased, if these were the primary marks. It would mean keeping the Block C, only outlined in red instead of gray, opening up a bunch of uniform options. The MBB uni's already use this font and looks great. It also suggests that the changes to the husky logo are minor in nature, another plus.

If you look at the older logo sheets, there are four or five different fonts and logos. The 2012 one is much, much cleaner and would sync with the unification theme we keep hearing about. I just hope they don't "New Coke" poor Jonathan.

Why would it mean keeping the block C? It's not anywhere in that document. My take was that there will be no C or UC type symbol, and the new husky or UConn will go on the helmet. That is just my take from seeing this doc. Someone posted the exact same document from 2004 on the CR board and the block C was specifically trademarked on there.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Why would it mean keeping the block C? It's not anywhere in that document. My take was that there will be no C or UC type symbol, and the new husky or UConn will go on the helmet. That is just my take from seeing this doc. Someone posted the exact same document from 2004 on the CR board and the block C was specifically trademarked on there.

The font is based on the block C. If they were getting rid of it, they wouldn't need to keep the font let alone make it the uniform trademark. I think we'll start to see multiple helmets using both logos.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Err, um. Our old logo had us winning the national championship. Our new logo will be in a conference with Tulane.

Regardless, I like the new lettering. Looks funky.
I blame the logo... or I will when it comes out.

Reaction Score
The font is based on the block C. If they were getting rid of it, they wouldn't need to keep the font let alone make it the uniform trademark. I think we'll start to see multiple helmets using both logos.

I think it's the opposite, rather. I think the block C was a byproduct of the font chosen by the university.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think it's the opposite, rather. I think the block C was a byproduct of the font chosen by the university.

I think they were developed together as part of the FB transition. The logo sheets seem to support this.

The font didn't appear on the Gampel floor or the MBB unis until later. I can't remember if it was always used in the endzone at the Rent.

Reaction Score
I can't remember if it was always used in the endzone at the Rent.

Far as I can tell from the highlight videos and images from the opening game against Indiana, they did use it

Reaction Score
CoachKO_UConn
Had a hand in the picking the Last and final version of the New Husky Dog!! I really Love it Husky Nation and hope you will To.. A New Day!!
3/26/13 9:37 PM

Reaction Score
CoachKO_UConn
Had a hand in the picking the Last and final version of the New Husky Dog!! I really Love it Husky Nation and hope you will To.. A New Day!!
3/26/13 9:37 PM
When do they plan on revealing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member