UConn to the Big East? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn to the Big East?

Reaction Score
What will happen to the UConn women. The BE is a mid major in women's hoops. UConn blew away DePaul, the best team in the BE, which also lost to Temple, the third best team in the AAC. Last year in the NCAA Tournament, in a game played at Gampel, Duquesne, the third best team in the A10, blew out Seton Hall, the third best team in the BE. The Dukes also had a 19 point win over St. John's, the second best BE team, during the regular season. The A10 is no women's powerhouse, so what does that make the BE? In the BE, you'll be longing for the days when USF, and Temple were on the schedule. Nothing less than the P5 is going to work for the women.

Reaction Score
What will happen to the UConn women. The BE is a mid major in women's hoops. UConn blew away DePaul, the best team in the BE, which also lost to Temple, the third best team in the AAC. Last year in the NCAA Tournament, in a game played at Gampel, Duquesne, the third best team in the A10, blew out Seton Hall, the third best team in the BE. The Dukes also had a 19 point win over St. John's, the second best BE team, during the regular season. The A10 is no women's powerhouse, so what does that make the BE? In the BE, you'll be longing for the days when USF, and Temple were on the schedule. Nothing less than the P5 is going to work for the women.
Well first off, nobody thinks of women's basketball in any of these conference realignments. It's irrelevant.

Second, have you seen what the UConn women have done in the AAC? They haven't lost a game in the almost 4 seasons in the conference. And their average margin of victory is probably about 35. So what's the difference if they're in the BE? No losses and an average margin of victory of 45 instead? The women wouldn't be challenged very much no matter what conference they were in.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Nothing. This post made me cringe.

Reaction Score
Well first off, nobody thinks of women's basketball in any of these conference realignments. It's irrelevant.

Second, have you seen what the UConn women have done in the AAC? They haven't lost a game in the almost 4 seasons in the conference. And their average margin of victory is probably about 35. So what's the difference if they're in the BE? No losses and an average margin of victory of 45 instead? The women wouldn't be challenged very much no matter what conference they were in.
All of this is true, but as long as the status quo holds, the P5 dream stays alive. Once you blow up football, the dream is over. I don't know if the UConn women can maintain their status after Geno is gone, if they are playing in such a small potatoes league.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
All of this is true, but as long as the status quo holds, the P5 dream stays alive. Once you blow up football, the dream is over. I don't know if the UConn women can maintain their status after Geno is gone, if they are playing in such a small potatoes league.
Geno may not leave for 10-15 years, and football may be in trouble as a sport at the end of that timeframe and basketball would become the new football.

F

faninAL

UConn women team is the money maker and I don't think AAC will let it go away.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Geno may not leave for 10-15 years, and football may be in trouble as a sport at the end of that timeframe and basketball would become the new football.
I agree with you that there are people not letting their kids play football...but saying the sport is in trouble is going a bit far IMO. NFL and CFB are the 2 most popular sports in the nation. Yes, high school football in not football hotbeds like the northeast will see football dwindle...but in Texas Alabama and Florida Mississippi etc football is a way of life.
Let's also not forget the SB is the most watched TV program every year. Let's also not forget that as long as people like to gamble football will be around.

There might be some major changes coming to protect players...but the game isn't going to be gone in 10 yrs...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. UConn has a couple of down years, the second due to the worst string of injuries I can remember and the obvious solution to the problem is to join a basketball only conference in order to play home and homes with Seton Hall and Marquette? That makes perfect sense.

I'm still trying to find some actual evidence... other than a lot of whining on this board... and our win/loss record that indicates that the AAC is the problem. Our attendance while down is still good when compared to other colleges... at UConn's peak in 2006 attendance was still only 13,948... last year it was 10,413. You're talking about a drop off of 3500 people from it's absolute peak. UConn's attendance has dipped like that in the past when the program has had a couple of down years as well. It's not in recruiting classes, Ollie's recruited well enough to win regularly in the AAC. Facilities? We've built some of the best facilities in the country SINCE we've been in the AAC...

Apparently only by playing Seton Hall and Creighton can this program reach the heights it once had (a couple of years ago when we were in the AAC). :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There is an old saying...."you can't go home again". I think it means that things change, so NO to the BE.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The point that Butch is missing is that while it may be gaining a little in popularity in the UK (due to being new and cool), it is dying in the US (it's actual home) due to concussions, CTE, parents not allowing their kids to play, etc. The Ivy just starting using mechanical dummies in practice as opposed to other human beings for practice. The Ivy League, the arguable birthplace of football, just canned tackling in practice.
They canned tackling in games years ago.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The point that Butch is missing is that while it may be gaining a little in popularity in the UK (due to being new and cool), it is dying in the US (it's actual home) due to concussions, CTE, parents not allowing their kids to play, etc. The Ivy just starting using mechanical dummies in practice as opposed to other human beings for practice. The Ivy League, the arguable birthplace of football, just canned tackling in practice.

Maybe I missed the beginning of the conversation. I thought the question was whether the NFL could sustain playing 8 games in London?

I agree football is on the decline in the US due to CTE/concussions.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. UConn has a couple of down years, the second due to the worst string of injuries I can remember and the obvious solution to the problem is to join a basketball only conference in order to play home and homes with Seton Hall and Marquette? That makes perfect sense.

I'm still trying to find some actual evidence.... other than a lot of whining on this board.... and our win/loss record that indicates that the AAC is the problem. Our attendance while down is still good when compared to other colleges.... at UConn's peak in 2006 attendance was still only 13,948.... last year it was 10,413. You're talking about a drop off of 3500 people from it's absolute peak. UConn's attendance has dipped like that in the past when the program has had a couple of down years as well. It's not in recruiting classes, Ollie's recruited well enough to win regularly in the AAC. Facilities? We've built some of the best facilities in the country SINCE we've been in the AAC....

Apparently only by playing Seton Hall and Creighton can this program reach the heights it once had (a couple of years ago when we were in the AAC). :rolleyes:

Delusional. Can do nothing but laugh. Nobody in the country respects the AAC, few more even know it exists. Our brand is being destroyed.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Delusional. Can do nothing but laugh. Nobody in the country respects the AAC, few more even know it exists. Our brand is being destroyed.
I disagree with that. When the Big 12 was looking to expand, they considered 6 or 7 AAC schools. The football programs are doing really well. It is UConn's failure in football and its mediocrity in league play in BB that is hurting the conference, not the other way around. East Carolina is the only school that should not have been included due to its location with the heart of ACC country.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

You can't give me any evidence either. Where's your proof? Who says this other than a few UConn fans who miss the good old days back when we used to play traditional rivals like Virginia Tech and Miami in the Big East. :p

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. UConn has a couple of down years, the second due to the worst string of injuries I can remember and the obvious solution to the problem is to join a basketball only conference.

Get your facts straight, our losses to Wagner and Northeastern and Oklahoma State came before the "worst string of injuries I can remember". This program has deeper problems than injuries. That basketball only conference has some of the best programs in the country, and would help recruiting IMO. Playing St Johns, Georgetown, Villanova, Butler and Xavier, once or twice a year each would make KO's job on the recruiting front much easier IMO.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Get your facts straight, our losses to Wagner and Northeastern and Oklahoma State came before the "worst string of injuries I can remember". This program has deeper problems than injuries.

But the other 9 had nothing to do with the injuries? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
But the other 9 had nothing to do with the injuries? :rolleyes:
Not saying nothing to do with the injuries, but losing to Wagner and Northeastern with the 3rd best recruiting class in the country, everyone healthy, and some dynamic sophomores is cause for concern. Lack of depth is one that is obvious, the other is KO's coaching style during games. When Calhoun was coach if you made one or two little mistakes you always got yanked and talked to no matter who you were. JC taught during games, KO should do more of that IMO.

C

chiller99.5

FWIW some of the discussion kind of echoes the braggadocio over at the AAC board from Eastern Carolina fans. Yes in football they sell out and draw big crowds, but at away games who gives a rats to see them play ? The UCONN brand in hoops both men and women are a draw when on the road

Reaction Score
FWIW some of the discussion kind of echoes the braggadocio over at the AAC board from Eastern Carolina fans. Yes in football they sell out and draw big crowds, but at away games who gives a rats to see them play ? The UCONN brand in hoops both men and women are a draw when on the road
Watched the UConn women away last night at Cincinnati, the arena seemed to have a lot more people in it than for a typical Cincinnati women's home game.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Not saying nothing to do with the injuries, but losing to Wagner and Northeastern with the 3rd best recruiting class in the country, everyone healthy, and some dynamic sophomores is cause for concern. Lack of depth is one that is obvious, the other is KO's coaching style during games. When Calhoun was coach if you made one or two little mistakes you always got yanked and talked to no matter who you were. JC taught during games, KO should do more of that IMO.

Of course it's cause for concern... but it's almost definitely not because we're in the AAC... nor is it absurd to expect Ollie to have a couple of down years. Calhoun had a couple of off years too. If we're struggling at this point in time next year, I'll be moving in your direction... but I'd still be hard pressed to blame it on the AAC.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Do you think before you type these ridiculous statements?

AAC had 4 NCAA Tournament bids last year and sent the league champion in football to the Peach Bowl (which it won) and finished the 2015-16 season with 3 teams in the top 25. Houston was in the freaking CFP discussion this year for half the season until Greg Ward got hurt. Since the AAC formed the league has won 2 NY6 bowls, a MBB national title, and UConn women have created the longest winning streak in the history of basketball and won every title.

I wanna leave the AAC just as badly as you do, but you toss around these Trumpian grand statements like "few even know it exists" and provide zero data or evidence to back up your claims. Don't let your hatred of the league blind you from the fact that since the league has been formed the AAC has done really well for itself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's grossly overstated. Gonzaga is the current #1 playing in a much worse league. Winning is what matters. Has the AAC impacted UConn negatively? Yes. Is it something that we couldn't overcome by winning? No.

Reaction Score
Given your user name, your last sentence is the most ironic thing you could have possibly said.

I am all for travel to other countries for extended (at least a week or more) amounts of time personally, hence my name.

I am not for travelling long distances for short times, ugh.
I mean... Connecticut - Texas
Game
Texas - Connecticut

In the span of less than 12 hours usually.
Sure, for the occasional non conference game, that is awesome. Or even building in 1 or 2 west coast games into a tourney like what Uconn did this year with LMU (but a better team please) than Maui. SURE. But during the ¨dog days¨ of confernece tourney time, to have to do that 3 or 4 times in the conference schedule, each for just one game at a time. I hate that kind of travel, not sure how the players like it but I DO think more travel like that impacts them.

the kids deserve better than having to bounce between Texas or Oklahoma multiple times in the conference season and lose out on study time (or is that ¨study time¨?). In that sense, the big east is better to cut down on long conference travel time while still getting interesting west coast matches or even swings in the OOC. I do think all this extra travel hurts the average team.

Reaction Score
UConn is worth a lot to Fox and the BE. Currently, the BE has two marquee brands from the old Big East: Nova and G'Town. That is worth 2 marquee old BE matchups a year.

Adding UConn TRIPLES Fox's inventory of marquee brand games (home and away between each of the 3 schools). It also creates a lot more high-end matchups depending on active rankings.

And adding the women would be significant from the perspective of Fox and the BE. There aren't a ton of women's BB fans, but for those fans, UConn games are a must. It's basically the HBO model - HBO doesn't try to create shows like the Big Bang Theory that a lot of people sort of like; they're looking to hit niche markets that will LOVE a particular show and pull the trigger on subscribing. The UConn women give Fox "must-have" programming for a small, but sizable number of households. It also helps other BE schools sell tickets and recruit.

If we could keep football in the AAC, this would be a no-brainer, but that seems unlikely. Would need to know a lot more about how this would work for football, but UConn would be crazy not to kick the tires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom