UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020

Reaction Score
From now until that first game in 2020, every reporter should ask UT officials if they will apologize for the false accusations against UConn and the smear against Coach Geno and the UConn program. If no, keep asking until they finally do apologize.

Coach Geno, UConn, UConn players, coaches, AD's, Ass't AD's, and all UConn fans are due a total, unqualified apology from Tennessee.

And if they refuse to apologize, they should be greeted with a torrent of boo's.

You would boo the young players?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So $$$$ and hype is a bad thing? I think some UConn hype that doesn't involve ND is a good thing.

Voepel says 1st game will be Jan 23 2020.

Cat, I understand and respect your position. Positive press is always good. UConn has been getting their fair share of 'positive" media coverage and acknowledgment since Summitt pulled the plug on the series in 2007. UConn has become the "Bell Cow" of WCBB. The program that all other programs are measured by, and aspire to emulate.

UConn has set records that will never be broken (111 game win streak - 6 undefeated seasons). UConn has established a new rivalry with Notre Dame that is very intensive, good for both schools, and has reached national consciousness. We've managed to incur ND's wrath and vitriol just as we did with Tenn. It's a coin flip as to which fan base hates us more. :)

If "hype" that doesn't involve ND is sought, we need look no further than Mississippi State. Being a top 5 program, I'm sure HC Vic Shaefer has adopted the same posture as Geno, in that he'll play anyone, any where, anytime.

That would be a great series for both programs, and one I would whole-heartedly endorse because they're both going to be elite and highly competitive programs for the foreseeable future. A good test for both teams every time they meet. You can tell I'm not thrilled about this series resumption news at all. SMH :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
unfair-fight.jpg

Some pictures are worth a 1000 words. This is one of them. I love it!!! This photo sums up the resumption of the series perfectly. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe it is a summer malaise thing (no, that isn't a mayo/mustard glaze), but this news is nothing that gets my blood pumping. If it wasn't for what will be the inevitable BS "color" and hype ESPN will throw at this series, starting maybe tomorrow, it would be a none event.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It’s obviously going to be a lot different than what it was 15 years earlier, but there will be massive crowds, big media presence and high viewership. Games probably won’t be very dramatic, but it’s rare that anyone gives UCONN an exciting game these days. Bringing back the best rivalry in women’s basketball history is great for the sport.
I know some will not agree with the report but I heard a report today that the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee was not only the best WBB rivalry but, the biggest rivalry in any sport. It was stated while the person was reporting on the renewal of the series.

Reaction Score
You would boo the young players?
I would (will - I will be there, and I will boo them). But in a sports-fan ‘sportsmanlike’ way - not like the tasteless, raunchy, [ ] abuse the Huskies will receive the following year at TBA.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know some will not agree with the report but I heard a report today that the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee was not only the best WBB rivalry but, the biggest rivalry in any sport. It was stated while the person was reporting on the renewal of the series.

Donald I'm not disagreeing with YOU, you're just the messenger. I'm disagreeing with the content of the report that person gave. That is a ridiculous statement. Here's why:
There are several sports rivalries that far out shadow (popularity) and are longer in duration than UConn/Tennessee. We must remember that WCBB is not embraced by mainstream America.

MLB (New York/Boston), the NBA (Lakers/Celtics), the NFL (Pick one), college football (Michigan/Ohio St. - USC/Notre Dame, Okla/Texas - Alabama/Auburn), men's college basketball (Duke/NC), and international soccer all have their respective rivalries that are longer, and most of them are still going.

They are much more intense and followed by millions of fans across the country every year. Some of these rivalries go back 60 years or more. The UConn/Tenn series only lasted 12 years (1995-2007).

Each one of these sports have millions more fans than WCBB will ever have. WCBB is liked and followed by a very small percentage of people in the USA. Which is why WNBA players will never be paid on par with the NBA. WCBB is like beer. It's something you have to develop a taste for over time. Nobody likes their first beer. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow...I can’t belive Holly agreed to 2 years of 30+ point losses

Where else is she going to get $690 K /year??

Also I doubt she had anything to do with the decision. ;)

Reaction Score
Please correct me if I'm wrong.... But didn't Tenn and UConn used to be two OOC games in a season?

Reaction Score
I watched the Tenn freshmen play last season and adding in who they got this coming season I don't think the game will be a blowout. This is the same Tenn program that handed mighty Notre Dame (this year's heavy favorite to repeat as NC's) a loss 2 years ago, along with wins over Miss St and S Car? They stink against a lot of pathetic opponents but usually represent fairly well in big games.

This game will happen during the freshman years of Bueckers, Boston, Horston and Jones ..... right??????? :rolleyes:
Think it's freshman year of Boston, Horston and Jones. Bueckers is the following year.
And what are you driving at?
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed if TN doesn't apologize for the lies and hurtful comments toward Maya Moore and her Mom!
Whether TN vs UCONN happens that should be a requirement before the 1st game!

Reaction Score
I would say that it really does not matter to me that Tennessee will be on the UConn schedule. Tennessee is really a mediocre program since Pat Summit and is somewhat on the decline. UConn may eventually be in the same position after Geno and CD exit the scene. But that is another story. Since there is no one in the American Conference today, that can play with UConn, in women's basketball, UConn has to seek other programs that will present a challenge to the schedule.

Right now, women's basketball is the only sport that brings any national news and respect to that University. And, I say that, as a graduate of UConn class of 1964. Up until Calhoun won the National Championship UConn was the doormat in sports. I can remember back to the 1950's about UConn. They never had a football program that could compete even in the "Yankee Conference". Rhode Island use to come in and kick UConn's ass every time as did Delaware. And, the State of Connecticut never sincerely funded sports at the University. Once UConn women's basketball goes, then UConn will fit right in to the American Conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right!!! Enquirering minds want to know. :rolleyes:
Best guess? UConn resolves their football game contract with Tennessee, probably with a home and away game. The timing of this game being agreed to while Tenn was holding up the other game doesn't seem coincidental to me. If that's the case, we'll know in a few weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can remember back to the 1950's about UConn. They never had a football program that could compete even in the "Yankee Conference".
Might want to blow the dust off those memories a bit more. UConn has won 25 conference championships, 15 shared and ten outright, including 2 Big East conference co-championships. The last year in Big East they went to the Fiesta Bowl.

UConn Football Conference Championships

Season Coach Conference Overall Record Conference Record
1901 T. D. Knowles Athletic League of New England State Colleges 8–2 1–0
1924 Sumner Dole New England Conference 6–0–2 3–0
1926† Sumner Dole New England Conference 7–1 2–1
1928† Sumner Dole New England Conference 4–1–3 1–0–2
1936 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 7–2 2–0
1937† J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 6–2–1 1–0
1942 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 6–2 2–0
1945 J. Orlean Christian New England Conference 7–1 2–0
1949† J. Orlean Christian Yankee Conference 4–4–1 2–0–1
1952† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–3 2–1
1956 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 6–2–1 3–0–1
1957† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–4–1 3–0–1
1958 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 7–3 4–0
1959 Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 6–3 4–0
1960† Robert Ingalls Yankee Conference 5–4 3–1
1968† John Toner Yankee Conference 4–6 4–1
1970 John Toner Yankee Conference 4–4–2 4–0–1
1971† Robert Casciola Yankee Conference 5–3–1 4–1–1
1973 Larry Naviaux Yankee Conference 8–2–1 5–0–1
1982† Walt Nadzak Yankee Conference 5–6 3–2
1983† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 5–6 4–1
1986† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 8–3 5–2
1989† Tom Jackson Yankee Conference 8–3 6–2
2007† Randy Edsall Big East 9–4 5–2
2010† Randy Edsall Big East 8–5 5–2

† - Co-champions

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno wants to end his run the same way it got started by playing Tennessee?

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno wants to end his run the same way it got started by playing Tennessee?

Or maybe, maybe Geno will not be playing TN again? Maybe the "rivalry" goes on without him?
If no apology has happened, does anyone see Geno agreeing to this? Something to consider.

Reaction Score
I believe that will be "mooing", not booing.
I was at the "mooing" game in Knoxville, and the "[ ]" spectator activities I tried to mention above (mods deleted) are still fanning the flames of my hatred for orange (it wasn't enough I'm an Oklahoma alum and our football arch-rival Texas is orange, and in-state conference rival Okie State is orange - argh). Some of these rabid big-time college football fan bases are filled with vitriol for one another, and I thought I'd seen it all, including drunken physical confrontations with intent to maim and mutilate. But I have never seen such classless clods as those TN fans at TBA that day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom