UConn to play @ Loyola Marymount | The Boneyard

UConn to play @ Loyola Marymount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing like an RPI dropping win to start your season.

In reality it's no big deal, but I'd rather just have this be an exhibition.

Reaction Score
Figured it would be a school like this, but couldn't help getting excited for a team like UCLA or USC.

Reaction Score
Hopefully they will be better this year. We played at least 3 teams last year with similar RPIs I think.

Reaction Score
It makes sense. Maui opponents will be challenging, so don't need to begin the trip with a loss prior to arriving on the islands.
Good move LMM is virtually at LAX.

Reaction Score
They should be better than last year as they only had 1 senior on the team who saw meaningful time.

Reaction Score
USC declined the opportunity to host UConn, now we get LMM. ugh

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
USC declined the opportunity to host UConn, now we get LMM. ugh
No, we were the ones who didn't want that game. This is unfortunate as I'm confident that we could have had USC make a return trip a year or two down the road.

Reaction Score
First of all, we knew it wasn't going to be a west coast powerhouse.

Second, this team has a chance to be in the 150-200 RPI range and we'll be playing them on the road... it will definitely not even be in contention for the cupcakiest game we play.

Reaction Score
It's a good game for this team. We have lots of new guys to assimilate. I like a tough schedule and the opportunity to get signature wins but this team should have the ability to win some big games throughout the season. I think it is better to have a pre-Maui tuneup rather than risk a pre-Maui loss for a young group. Pretty sure KO was looking to build a little confidence/work out kinks and get the guys a little run after a long flight. It's usually kind of a 50/50 shot in these long distance tourneys whether you show up flat or ready to play. I think this is a great strategy to have our guys loose and ready to play. I won't be surprised to see us struggle terribly in this game and then look good in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I think we are playing Auburn on 12/23. Mustapha Heron's homecoming game. Should be a fun one.

Reaction Score
Should have been UCLA or at worst, USC. As one of the very few top programs not in P5, IMO need to schedule the best we can when we can. We are UConn.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
It's a good game for this team. We have lots of new guys to assimilate. I like a tough schedule and the opportunity to get signature wins but this team should have the ability to win some big games throughout the season. I think it is better to have a pre-Maui tuneup rather than risk a pre-Maui loss for a young group. Pretty sure KO was looking to build a little confidence/work out kinks and get the guys a little run after a long flight. It's usually kind of a 50/50 shot in these long distance tourneys whether you show up flat or ready to play. I think this is a great strategy to have our guys loose and ready to play. I won't be surprised to see us struggle terribly in this game and then look good in the tourney.

This is exactly the right perspective to take on this game. We have a 3000 mile flight to this game, which will probably be the second game of the season, and have to get the pieces to gel better than we did last year. If it wasn't the second game of the season, I think there's a better argument for wanting UCLA/USC/SDSU/etc. but this isn't much different than UNC playing Hawaii this season before they play in Maui as well.

Reaction Score
Should have been UCLA or at worst, USC. As one of the very few top programs not in P5, IMO need to schedule the best we can when we can. We are UConn.

It's a West Coast Conference team, not Central. This'll be a competitive game, especially with so many newcomers. Perfect road environment pre-Maui, just like Pepperdine was, and this version is not as good as the team that played Pepperdine.

Reaction Score
Didn't we play Pacific or Pepperdine last time we went to Maui?

Reaction Score
Didn't we play Pacific or Pepperdine last time we went to Maui?
The last time was 2011 and we didn't play a team out west. In 2005 UConn played Pepperdine first.

Reaction Score
No, we were the ones who didn't want that game. This is unfortunate as I'm confident that we could have had USC make a return trip a year or two down the road.

Ummmm, no, USC declined it

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ummmm, no, USC declined it
Check your facts,.... then get back to me.

(Just kidding but we were the school that said no)

Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not a bad outcome considering Andy Enfield is a chicken. <a href="https://post original url/AzNASOAPXS">https://post original url/AzNASOAPXS</a></p>&mdash; A Dime Back (@ADimeBack) <a href="">June 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member