UCONN to new Big East | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UCONN to new Big East

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The new kid on the block is going to start making waves already in a conference it has not stepped in yet? I suppose it don't hurt to ask.

They won't. It'll just have to be. Not perfect but it's not a perfect world.

Reaction Score
The new kid on the block is going to start making waves already in a conference it has not stepped in yet? I suppose it don't hurt to ask.

I didn't say today. But over time.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we have no leverage to demand anything. They will want UConn to play all the BE schools for maximum exposure and you cant blame them.

That's what everyone said when the American went to 18 games. After 3 years, they went down to 16.
Yes I don't know how that happened but have to imagine UConn was a big proponent of that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Go take your daily sense of humor pill ... maybe two. Your liking Mr Doom's rather careworn recitation of the crushing power of the P5, to what purpose for him or you or us, suggests two may be in order. If some sports fasns needs to be a syncophants to those killing amateur college athletics, well, that's their itch and they should scratch it. On the other hand, if it is just an urge to rain on someone's parade, well that is just a time honored BY tradition.
I have not a bone to pick here. I would only humbly submit that you've misread me a tad...

Reaction Score
The primary consideration of the Southeastern Conference, by a an immense margin, is football, and women's basketball is never ever a consideration when evaluating the possibility of expansion.

No school from the northeast will ever become a member of the SEC.

Never say never!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With the difference in the SOS between the AAC and the BE, UConn does not need to change anything. They will most likely have fewer long road trips while playing against higher competition both in and out of league play.
They've had some ridiculous road trips lately.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One thing I like about this is that it should ameliorate the competition desert problem of the latter part of the season. As you all know, after playing USCe in early to mid-February, UConn didn't play a meaningful game again till the Sweet Sixteen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Personally, as long as we're going retro conference-wise, I wish we could bring back the old Jonathan logo. I think the new one looks more like a wolf than a Husky. View attachment 44257

Nothing can beat this one

UConnHusky_Logo_timelineS.0.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did Geno coach BE Commissioner, Val Ackerman, at Virginia?

She graduated in 1981 and he was there about that time.
This was a serious question.

Anyone know?

Reaction Score
That just the way it works. If UConn had won that game you can bet it would have defined their entire program.

I think the point is there was zero chance of that happening. UConn won a conference championship in a depleted BE which was still recognized as a BCS conference. So they got to play in a 'real' bowl game and got exposed by a 'real' football program.

Full disclosure: I am an Oklahoma alum and huge OU football fan. From that perspective it appears to me that all the scheming and blaming and wishing and hoping on the football board and conference realignment board is just that - a bunch of scheming and blaming and wishing and hoping. Actually as a (past) 20-year CT resident and big UConn BB fan I would like to see it happen too. But it requires big $$ from big boosters. So all the T. Boone Pickens and Red McCombs types please step forward.
They got beat by a good Oklahoma team. It was a terrible choice for us to play in that bowl, as opposed to the Orange bowl. We had nothing to do with that. We did the best we could, and quite frankly, as an FBS school for all of 7-8 years, I think we did ok.
I really enjoyed your Boise State game too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Could we just have maybe a day or two before we do our obligatory hand wringing about the death of amateur athletics on campus? Or take it to a new thread called "We Are Really, Really Doomed?" I think it is really great that the fans in the P5 conferences can get Faced every weekend and pretend to watch semi-pro football, because we are America and about endless choices. Lucky Connecticut fans get to root for professional football teams , wear all the gear, and get just as faced if not more. Most P5 games are stomp contests - like UConn Husky women playing everyone in the AAC.

Why some insist on hitting their face into a brick wall called the P-5 is beyond me and I would suggest you should go get an Alabama jersey and roll with the Tide. Or, better yet, go get a 5 for deal on jerseys and be a guaranteed snackered winner every week end at least 3 times?
Basketball-only schools can make money but P5 schools, even the worst among them sports-wise, make $$MONEY$$$. TV contracts, licensing, bowl appearances all generate huge dollars. If we want to attract an elite coach to UConn after Geno retires, it could take a million dollar salary. It would be nice to Be sure there’s enough money to pay the wbb, mbb, soccer, multiple championship- winning field hockey, and other coaches enough money to keep them and maintain the facilities.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
that stinks
UConn needs to press hard to change that

Nah.

The Big East's power rankings are in another orbit than the American's.

UConn won't need to do the kind of barnstorming tours that the American's weakness necessitated. Will probably make for a fresher team come tournament time.

Reaction Score
With all of the years that UConn was in the AAC, only USF consistently performed to the point barring injuries to be in the top 25 and get an invitation to the tournament. While at the original BE, most of the teams became competitive. I would project that the addition of UConn's BB programs, that the BE will continually grow and become more competitive and even give a boost to the UConn men and women's programs in recruiting. The schedule is the schedule and it will remain so. UConn women will continue to play a series of of out of conference games because it benefits both UConn and the out of conference program from a recruiting and ticket sales perspective.

Reaction Score
It should be noted that wealthy boosters are a significant source of income at P5 schools. These boosters are willing to put their money into sports endowments (as opposed to the Ivy League academically oriented endowments for example. These dollars allow the P5 schools to pay for top coaches, new stadiums and palatial training facilities. Those endowments were a large part of what helped the P5 conferences become the P5.

Reaction Score
Hey barkeep, I'll have whatever it is they're having. :D

CARN: ye gads, my man. Say it isn't so. Am crushed to learn that Carnac does not know all as advertised. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Voepel on what this means to UConn. Not too much new, but some interesting thoughts.

- Feels the move is good for UConn, good for the BE, and good for the AAC.
- Thoughts on how it impacts UConn after Geno.
- Advent of power (football) conferences leading to the downfall of ODU, La Tech, etc. in WBB, but not for UConn's (yet?)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom