UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football?

Reaction Score
Wow. Big East, seriously????

What a terrible move if true.

If they drop football or drop down a level I am done. What a joke.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So what the hell happens with TV? We're going to ink a $2mm annual deal with SNY?

We officially have no bowl tie ins. Sick.

Not to mention- we're ineligible for the G5 playoff spot when its going to expand to 8 and include a caveat for a G5 auto bid.

Do independents get CFP revenue?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
With many legit members of the media now running their own stories with some independent confirmation beyond that boston website, this is clearly real.

I think we are looking at independent football and some sort of fox deal.

For all those that wanted to stick it to CT's home company - ESPN - that moment has come. Die has been cast. We are crossing the Rubicon. ESPN is not going to reopen the AAC contract to keep us (I want to be wrong!).

Reaction Score
Independence isn't a viable option. The football team would have to either join the MAC or C-USA, drop back down to FCS or just fold up the tents. &$%# this all. So sick of bad news and this could be the death blow.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
With many legit members of the media now running their own stories with some independent confirmation beyond that boston website, this is clearly real.

I think we are looking at independent football and some sort of fox deal.

For all those that wanted to stick it to CT's home company - ESPN - that moment has come. Die has been cast. We are crossing the Rubicon.
Fox TV deal would be what exactly? FSGo streaming with SNY simulcast? No freaking way FS1 or FOX is bumping a B1G Big 12 or PAC game for a UConn v NMSU kick. Especially with the news their prime time game will be at 12.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Unless—as a quid pro quo for getting our BBall, Fox can get us guaranteed football games as an Independent against those within its network purview I.e., the B1G, Big12 and Pac12, and preferred access to its bowl lineup e.g. Redbox Bowl should there be an opening— this move is a disaster.

Who would want to play us as an Independent? In our present state, we'd kill anybody's SOS. We also lose the conference share of bowl revenue. Within the past couple of years, Val Ackerman indicated the NBE wasn't interested in us unless we decided to do something with football, as in drop it or downgrade it to FCS.

Reaction Score
Many of my friends who claim to be Uconn fans love this idea. What they fail to realize is we have zero in common with the NBE schools. I would hate this and to me signal the ultimate demise of all Uconn sports.

How about the hoops team win the aac a couple of times before bitching about how bad it is.
We’ll finally be ahead of the curve in college sports. It’s all going away soon.

Reaction Score
How do we not hemorrhage money with this prospect?

So many questions. Did HCRE know? Did the recruits know?

Great job by administration failing to realize FOOTBALL DRIVES THE BUS. NOT BASKETBALL!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So is AD David Benedict calling around the D1 landscape to see who wants our football?

I know whose calling Aresco, UMass. Bet they called twenty times since last night asking about our seat.

Reaction Score
Not giving much credence to the story but if there's a plan we should be open minded about it. The landscape is changing but there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about a move including our current recruiting classes and an improved AAC Hoops conference. It would take significant dollars and exposure to be worth it. And football would still need a home or at least a path to a conference affiliation. Still the BE seems like an odd fit for us and hoops in particular. While l a few of the other sports would benefit, it's never going to be like the old days of BE hoops and we have little in common with what's left of it.

B12

Reaction Score
Interesting situation here for UConn but if true I think when we look back in 10 years this will be a good move as so many schools are going broke trying to fund football. I see this as a move back to FCS as indy is not an option IMO.

My thought is who is #12. Gonzaga (doubtful), BYU, Wichita St, Saint Louis, etc...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not giving much credence to the story but if there's a plan we should be open minded about it. The landscape is changing but there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about a move including our current recruiting classes and an improved AAC Hoops conference. It would take significant dollars and exposure to be worth it. And football would still need a home or at least a path to a conference affiliation. Still the BE seems like an odd fit for us and hoops in particular. While l a few of the other sports would benefit, it's never going to be like the old days of BE hoops and we have little in common with what's left of it.

There are at least a half dozen reports out there from reporters independent of re-tweets saying they have spoken to AAC, BE and UConn sources. It's a done deal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Fox TV deal would be what exactly? FSGo streaming with SNY simulcast? No freaking way FS1 or FOX is bumping a B1G Big 12 or PAC game for a UConn v NMSU kick. Especially with the news their prime time game will be at 12.
IDK...but in broad strokes leaving the AAC means leaving the ESPN universe and going to the BE means entering the Fox universe. Part of the calculus has to be tv revenue for all our sports.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This doesn't happen at the athletic director level.
The one thing I heard months ago was that AD Dave was not in favor of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom