UConn - TMU post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - TMU post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To paraphrase A. Iverson, "it's practice, it's practice, it's practice, man." That was about it, an opportunity to play against someone other than the practice squad; work on some things, tighten up others, try new things, and give some bench players some time. Freshman were very good, and mostly everyone else did what they should do. Ines looked good when she was in there.

Reaction Score
For Ice this game should have been a confidence builder. Instead it was one of her worst games. Ines actually looked pretty good and should have. Abysmal foul shooting. All in all a fun game while leaving us Debbie Downers a few things to complain about.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn shot 80%, KK shot 83%, and Qadence shot 78%. I realize a lot of these were open looks, but now we know they can hit those shots.

Nika had 8 assists, KK had 7 steals, Qadence had 2 steals 9 rebounds, Aaliyah had 26 pts on 9-13 shooting (69%) and 10 rebounds.

Even though the competition was not strong, games like this help freshmen visualize success. I hope Qadence gets a real shot in the arm from this game, and especially all those rebounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here’s the full live stats summary

8F06024B-8715-4E8D-9D5E-248D978E92C2.jpeg

Reaction Score
The most impressive part of Ashlynn's shooting is her lightning quick release. It reminds me of Katie Lou when she was in the zone. Does anyone else come to mind who hit 3 pointers for UCONN with that style?
She reminds me of Kia Nurse in a lot of ways. She is solid in all phases of the game. I admit I was unsure of her game after watching tape of her HS games because she worked quite a bit inside and didnt show the 3 point shot that I knew she would need. She sure fooled me but I am still in Love with Q's shot and she really works hard at rebounding and defense.

Reaction Score
The most impressive part of Ashlynn's shooting is her lightning quick release. It reminds me of Katie Lou when she was in the zone. Does anyone else come to mind who hit 3 pointers for UCONN with that style?
KML. Someone mentioned how Ashlynn's always squared up so as soon as she gets the ball she can shoot it, and that's what made KML so dangerous.

Reaction Score
After the Butler game one BY’er suggested that Ashlynn was as good a shooter as Azzi. I responded, “not yet.” After she knocked down her first 8 shots tonight, including 4/4 from the arc, I may need to reconsider.
I was thinking the same thing. She is money.

GG

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • It was really nice of TMU to agree to give Aaliyah a homecoming game in Canada. Obviously, they weren’t competitive. This is the first time in all my years as a Husky fan that I was rooting for the other team to score….:confused:
  • After the Butler game one BY’er suggested that Ashlynn was as good a shooter as Azzi. I responded, “not yet.” After she knocked down her first 8 shots tonight, including 4/4 from the arc, I may need to reconsider.
  • UConn’s freshmen were 19/20 in the 1st half. I can’t believe Q actually missed one of her 6 shots…:cool:
  • I don’t recall any Husky ever fouling out of their homecoming game. In addition to putting up 26 & 10 tonight, Aaliyah came perilously close to leaving the game early….:oops:
  • Q is really starting to look more and more like she belongs in the rotation. The Huskies have to get Ice going and my “hoped for” 8-player rotation will be a reality.
Q is so confident. I am hoping that runs off on Ice. I can’t wait to see Ice at her best.

Reaction Score
Her feet close together hop reminds me of Kia Nurse.

Now if she can get the trailing dagger 3 like my girl KML, then we'll be in business for her to reach UConn 3pt royalty....

Reaction Score
As a numbers guy, Ashlynn's numbers through 12 games are mind boggling.
78% from on 2 pointers, (25/32) , 3 pointers 37% ( 17/46) and here's another head scratcher 100% foul shooting (1/1). One foul shot in 12 games?
Methinks, she is the next UCONN superstar.

Reaction Score
I think the last few games show that Ashlynn has found the range. She's made 17-46 from 3 up to now. But I suspect she'll be closer to 50% in January and February. Qadence showed flashes of brilliance tonight, too. If she can take this as her true starting point, and we can run a longer rotation, the team will make a leap forward. With each new scorer who finds the range, the easier it will be for all the others.

Reaction Score
This game took off in a direction that I was not expecting. I was expecting a UConn win but not like this. I was happy to see everyone getting some court time. KK, Ashlynn, Q, stood out. They looked comfortable, especially Q and KK. Ashlynn is in a groove right now and I am happy for her. Since being inserted in the starting five, she has been playing well. Her shot is falling, her defense is decent, and she is looking to catch and shoot a lot more, make or miss, she is shooting.

Ines & Amari- Their 2-man game was nice. Glad to see them getting minutes out there and they did not disappoint. Ines has decent court vision, and I was glad that she let the game come to her vs forcing anything. Her pass to Q on that break was textbook 3 on 2 break. Awesome. Amari, solid minutes out there. Looking to screen & roll or screen and pop action. She kept the ball high on rebounds. Decent minutes out there.

Ice-Had her moments (good and bad) out there. She just has to stay confident and keep playing. Play through the mistakes. She had some decent post ups, but you can see that she is second guessing herself out there and that is never good in basketball. She just has to play free.

Glad that Aaliyah got to play in front of her family and friends back in her hometown. She had a great game. Love to see her attacking the rim and this game allowed her many opportunities for drives.

Paige & Nika-For me, it is always great to see Paige getting plenty of rest. Same for Nika. This was the game where Paige could get her numbers and help the team and then get some rest. Nika gave her usual 120% effort out there. Solid passing and being that spark on defense with deflections and diving on the floor for loose balls.

Great way to head into the break, with a win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Liya had a great homecoming game, despite some foul trouble. She had a couple of bricks early, but settled down.

Paige and Aubs got a lot of rest tonight. But the Canadian crowd got to see some of the famous P. Buckets.

The frosh were amazing. They are not afraid to shoot, and they can make them.

I thought Ines looked good, and Amari looked pretty good.

Ice's shot is, well, ice cold. She needs a better nickname.

Reaction Score
Was at the game and the environment was awesome. The crowd was great and I overheard the TMU marketing manager mention how both TMU and UConn were really happy with how everything turned out. They even arranged for merchandise to be sold and her jerseys sold out. The line up fans waiting to get her autograph at the end of the game was way larger than I expected. There was even a group chanting "we want Aaliyah". It was adorable.

Ran into at least 20 kids I've coached in the past who came out to watch and support Aaliyah. Some no longer play ball but they still love the sport and look up to her. UConn being able to make this happen is a huge thing for Canadian fans. Really glad they made it happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was at the game and the environment was awesome. The crowd was great and I overheard the TMU marketing manager mention how both TMU and UConn were really happy with how everything turned out. They even arranged for merchandise to be sold and her jerseys sold out. The line up fans waiting to get her autograph at the end of the game was way larger than I expected. There was even a group chanting "we want Aaliyah". It was adorable.

Ran into at least 20 kids I've coached in the past who came out to watch and support Aaliyah. Some no longer play ball but they still love the sport and look up to her. UConn being able to make this happen is a huge thing for Canadian fans. Really glad they made it happen.
Well, Toronto is rumored to be a WNBA expansion city. Wouldn’t it be great if Aaliyah ends up on the roster?

Reaction Score
Well, Toronto is rumored to be a WNBA expansion city. Wouldn’t it be great if Aaliyah ends up on the roster?
It used to be. Internal fighting within the ownership group has killed that possibility. Highly doubt it will ever be considered again with the current ownership battles going on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom