UConn, The Big East, and FS1 | The Boneyard

UConn, The Big East, and FS1

Reaction Score
Pardon me if this redundant. I found it interesting.

FS1 Ratings
For reference, UConn was in 6 of the top-10 rated FS1 games in Big East play, including the top-3, all over 500K. They had 11 games air on FS1 and averaged 355K viewers a game. In FS1 conference games that didn’t feature UConn, the Big East averaged 184K viewers.

Reaction Score
What I’ve been saying. Without UConn this is the A10. We absolutely should negotiate a larger share of whatever the league gets. I’m not greedy but 25% would not be unreasonable. The rest of the league can split 75% among themselves however they choose.
The conference already distributes more revenue based on success.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Fox Sports does a terrible job marketing the Big East and in particular have done a horrific job marketing a team that has been #1 in the country for much of the year.

There were multiple times throughout the year they could have put out content about upcoming top-5/10 matchups and seemingly chose not to. They’ve been really bad.

Reaction Score
Why pay a conference if they don't market? It makes no sense. How was UConn vs SHU this past Sunday at noon on CBS?

Reaction Score
The conference already distributes more revenue based on success.
I want a guaranteed larger percentage. We are the big dog. We bring viewers. Nobody is watching Butler-Seton Hall on a Wednesday on FS1. Without UConn this is not Watch tv. We deserve a larger piece of the pie every year. Even if we have an off year. Still draw Moore viewers than DePaul.

Reaction Score
Why pay a conference if they don't market? It makes no sense. How was UConn vs SHU this past Sunday at noon on CBS?
UConn is a top 3 team. #1 for several weeks. Just before the Tournament of course CBS is carrying UConn. Of course we get the worst slot. Thanks Big East. Competent coverage on CBS.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I admit I know little. I am at best a casual fan.

Nonetheless, it is my belief that UConn has a fairly robust fan base and that fan base drives eyeballs.

But, beyond that, sports betting being what it is these days, top teams draw betting interest. And betting interest draws eyeballs, independent of school affiliations.

So, UConn is a twofer these days. We draw fans. This includes casual fans, such as myself.

And we are a top program, which drives betting interest which drives the viewers, too.

Lose the top program status and you lose a lot of betting interest ( see Georgetown and De Paul). Lose the top program status and you also lose many casual fans ( not including myself).

It is wonderful to find out Huskies at the top of the heap. But all glory is fleeting.

Reaction Score
The lack of hype from FOX feels intentional to the point I’d be surprised if BE renews with FOX. Thinking it will be ESPN next contract.

Reaction Score
I admit I know little. I am at best a casual fan.

Nonetheless, it is my belief that UConn has a fairly robust fan base and that fan base drives eyeballs.

But, beyond that, sports betting being what it is these days, top teams draw betting interest. And betting interest draws eyeballs, independent of school affiliations.

So, UConn is a twofer these days. We draw fans. This includes casual fans, such as myself.

And we are a top program, which drives betting interest which drives the viewers, too.

Lose the top program status and you lose a lot of betting interest ( see Georgetown and De Paul). Lose the top program status and you also lose many casual fans ( not including myself).

It is wonderful to find out Huskies at the top of the heap. But all glory is fleeting.
A lot of this is accurate but even so, casual fans go for names they know. The Big 10 tie in shows that. Games that would draw friends and family on their own when they follow a Big 10 matchup. Because casual fans know the Big 10. They know Indiana, Ohio State, Northwestern, Iowa. And UConn. Creighton, Providence, Seton Hall, to the casual fan they are not much different than Florida Gulf Coast and Fairfield. Georgetown really hasn’t been good for 20 years and their heyday was the 1980s. Sadly, the number of people who remember Hoya Paranoia gets smaller every year. And unlike, say Indiana, they haven’t been even on the fringes of relevance for 2 decades. DePaul was never at that level.
So I go back to my original point. We are more valuable to the New Big East than it is to us. What ever deal the league makes for media rights, UConn should get a larger base share than the rest. Because without UConn, they are likely getting something close to what they get today. If each school can get $5.5 Million ( they get a paltry $4.3 today based on the numbers in the article) they should be thrilled to give UConn $10 million.

Reaction Score
A lot of this is accurate but even so, casual fans go for names they know. The Big 10 tie in shows that. Games that would draw friends and family on their own when they follow a Big 10 matchup. Because casual fans know the Big 10. They know Indiana, Ohio State, Northwestern, Iowa. And UConn. Creighton, Providence, Seton Hall, to the casual fan they are not much different than Florida Gulf Coast and Fairfield. Georgetown really hasn’t been good for 20 years and their heyday was the 1980s. Sadly, the number of people who remember Hoya Paranoia gets smaller every year. And unlike, say Indiana, they haven’t been even on the fringes of relevance for 2 decades. DePaul was never at that level.
So I go back to my original point. We are more valuable to the New Big East than it is to us. What ever deal the league makes for media rights, UConn should get a larger base share than the rest. Because without UConn, they are likely getting something close to what they get today. If each school can get $5.5 Million ( they get a paltry $4.3 today based on the numbers in the article) they should be thrilled to give UConn $10 million.
The verbal diarrhea that flows out of you could power the entire country.

Reaction Score
Even when you’re not wrong you end up being wrong. The big ten brands are obviously much more recognizable and popular but then to back it up by comparing seton hall to Fairfield is just incredibly inaccurate. You overplay your anti big east bias and ruin your own points constantly.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Uconn v Marquette had lower viewership/ratings than BYU v Iowa State on ESPN2 at same time Wednesday. Really all you need to know about the future of the Big East and its TV deal with Fox/FS1

Reaction Score
Uconn v Marquette had lower viewership/ratings than BYU v Iowa State on ESPN2 at same time Wednesday. Really all you need to know about the future of the Big East and its TV deal with Fox/FS1
That's an FS1 problem, their Big East game #'s are up a lot over previous seasons but most people still don't know FS1 exists. When we play on Fox, ESPN, CBS we top 1 million.

Reaction Score
At least their broadcast quality isn't garbage like Fox.
Huh? I find the broadcast quality on Fox, FS1, and even FS2 to be excellent.

Can you believe the Big 12 plays many games on ESPN+, and the Mighty Big 10 is on Peacock?! Count your blessings!!

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

Reaction Score
The lack of hype from FOX feels intentional to the point I’d be surprised if BE renews with FOX. Thinking it will be ESPN next contract.

Sure feels this way. Games on ESPN will draw more viewers but there will be a portion relegated to ESPN+.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom