UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shade,Arnold,and Samuels really know how to play the game, are very sure of themselves. Whether they start or not, they really should get lots of minutes. I find it very strange that Aubrey and Nika don't look at all as you would expect, considering how much basketball they've played. Shake them up,bring them off the bench.

Reaction Score
If UConn had played as tight a defense against Texas as they did against Maryland, it would have been a different game. I was astonished to see the starters, in the first few minutes, and senior players leave gaps of five feet in front of them effectively giving Texas wide open shots. Add to that the turnovers and Texas offensive rebounds and you get a self made hole they could not climb out of. Could be worse.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If UConn had played as tight a defense against Texas as they did against Maryland, it would have been a different game. I was astonished to see the starters, in the first few minutes, and senior players leave gaps of five feet in front of them effectively giving Texas wide open shots. Add to that the turnovers and Texas offensive rebounds and you get a self made hole they could not climb out of. Could be worse.
Defending Maryland is nowhere near as difficult as defending Texas.

Texas is a legit top 10, probably top 5 team. Maryland might not even make the NCAA tournament this year.

Reaction Score
I think they meant offensive rebounds. Only getting outrebounded by 3 doesn't look bad on paper, but UConn shot it way less. They were turning it over so much Texas didn't get the opportunity to defensive rebound a whole lot.
Also, there were a lot of team rebounds, which made the total misleading.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, lots of shade being thrown at Gonzaga. Did any of you watch the game? They played extremely well. They would've beaten many teams today. And as far as being unranked, that's probably gonna change in the next poll. Kind of like after NC State beat UConn.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don’t agree. When left completely alone, then Nika can shoot. But anyone who is left completely alone could shoot it. She’s left completely alone because usually she is a nothing on offense & teams ignore her to put extra pressure on UConn’s true threats. Her shooting teammates have to work harder to get an open shot in return. I’d rather have KK in there- KK is faster and quicker than Nika, and I think KK being quicker is actually the better defender. I’d trade KK’s freshman mistakes (such as occasional charge) for the aggressive play she brings. Is Nika going to attack the basket which opens things up for others? No, but KK will and does. I like Aubrey off the bench too unless we need her height. Aubrey really is a fantastic defender, but there just are games when they instead need real offense. If UConn was rebounding well, then Aubrey shines on the fast break. When both Nika and Aubrey start in games against a strong team, then 40% of the team really doesn’t pose an offensive threat, and the team often falls behind. Change it up, Geno!
I think you are wrong about Nika. Nika played a pretty good game. She shoots when shes open but she's also supposed to look for the better shot and get the ball to Paige or another shooter. No one was open most of the time. No one was using the screens and picks when they did get one. She was usually in the face of whoever she was defending. No one seemed to have any speed or a burning desire to get open. When they took Paige out and had Nika, Aaliyah, and a couple of freshmen they seemed to do better. They got within 5 points then Geno took out what was working.

Reaction Score
It’s easier to play tight defense against a team with inferior talent. Also, Texas has a reputation of being a poor shooting team from the arc; that calls for a different game plan.

Reaction Score
I noticed the look on her face too, it wasn't the happy expression she normally has. I thought it was eery
I saw it 2 and she was not a happy camper . Maybe it will help to light the fire.

Reaction Score
I felt this way a long time ago. Nika really should sit and let the frosh take over and learn.
Me too . She's too easy to defend. 90% east and west. And she's not able to keep up with athletic guards that have handles.

Reaction Score
IMHO I saw the TX game this way:
1. Both players and coaches have not gotten over the shock that once again UCONN is robbed of it's best players!
2. Paige has missed approximately 2 years of playing time she needs more time to restart her engines to play like she played her freshman year!
3. TX is one of the top 5 teams in Div.I! But with a healthy team we would have beat them!
4. Aubrey has to play to her top level of play every game! Her not scoring 1 point is not acceptable! She wasn't even close to what UCONN needs game in and game out!
5. I think the way our roster is at this time Ines and Amari should be getting minutes! We're playing with one hand tied behind our back now how can they hurt the team more?
6. Some of you expect the same style of game even though UCONN is missing 2 to 3 of their important pieces to their style of play! A healthy Azzi and Caroline open up everything for the rest of the team!
7. With Jana, Ayanna and Caroline out our team can't rebound with the top teams! With the 3 of them able to play it would make all the difference in our rebounding and interior defense!
8. I'm 76 years old and I have never seen any team in any sport struck down with injuries for 3 years now! It is unbelievable that one of the premier teams is handicapped year after year like UCONN WBB has been!
Some of you doom and gloom people make me sick!
I hope you don't have any kids of your own to drag them down mentally!
You ought to be ashamed of yourselves!

Reaction Score
The camera sweeps to the bench gave me encouragement for the future as Patterson had some serious fire in her eyes. I think she will be ready to grab some serious rebounds in the very near future. I'm thinking mid-December [Louisville-ish] & praying for same!

Now it's time to "right the ship" vs. Ball State, and then defeat the UNC team that gave South Carolina a strong showing for 3 qtrs.

Go Huskies!
We need some serious improvement if we’re going to have any chance to beat NC! Banghart has got that team playing very well. I’m somewhat encouraged after today’s game, even though we lost, as Aaliyah finally showed up and three of the freshmen played substantially better than last time. Paige will hopefully be able to get a few more open shots than she did against Texas and I don’t think we’ll see another ofer from Aubrey! Still not sure we win that game, but we’ve got a shot, I think. Hoping
Yanna will be cleared by then.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong about Nika. Nika played a pretty good game. She shoots when shes open but she's also supposed to look for the better shot and get the ball to Paige or another shooter. No one was open most of the time. No one was using the screens and picks when they did get one. She was usually in the face of whoever she was defending. No one seemed to have any speed or a burning desire to get open. When they took Paige out and had Nika, Aaliyah, and a couple of freshmen they seemed to do better. They got within 5 points then Geno took out what was working.
I didn’t have any problem with Nika’s play today. I think she’s making an effort on the scoring front. As for her defense, I think many have been lulled into the idea that she’s some super lock down defender and that is simply not true. She is a good, solid defender in most circumstances but she has always struggled with certain kinds of players. Still, I agree she did a yeoman-like job today.

Reaction Score
Game was in Spokane. Doesn't change the score, but it was on the road.

I know UConn fans don't want to hear about missing players, but it was a 4 point game at the half and Brink sat on the bench after halftime with an illness.
What's your point about UCONN fans? What does that have to do with Stanford losing?

Reaction Score
With as much parity as exists in WCBB, how well a team shoots makes a big difference in wins and loses. I always look to see how a team won or lost before making a judgement as to how good or bad a team is. With parity teams face more opponants that are able to beat them when they have lesser than normal shooting days. This is when in the past not having to play teams that could threaten you played a major part in a teams record.. That meant that you could play more games at substandard and still win.

Common sense tells you that injuries often play a major role in how well a team does. They are part of basketball. It isn't just about how many injuries hit a team but how those injuries affect the over all strength of the team. Most teams are not really aware of other teams injuries or how they have effected their ability to win. They also do not really know if the individual players are having sub par or if they are exceeding their usual nom percentage wise. This sort of negates the " if certain players had played better" we would have won easily. Why because that applies to both teams. Players are not machines and lack consistency and thats part of basketball. While some are more consistant than others, every player has days when they can not miss or conversely even hit the ocean. Thats why the best free throw shooters have days when they miss were no own guards them. You are never as good as your best day or as bad as your worst. The same applies to teams.

UConn has recently been affected by a couple of bad injury years. That is a given. However, there have been other teams who have had their potential season effected with multiple key major injuries that have gone unnoticed by other fan base's. Why? Because fans tend to be miopic in respect to their own teams. I could name quite a few teams that due to injuries have had seasons derailed, just off the top of my head. But things are what they are and circumstances just need to be dealt with.

Reaction Score
With as much parity as exists in WCBB, how well a team shoots makes a big difference in wins and loses. I always look to see how a team won or lost before making a judgement as to how good or bad a team is. With parity teams face more opponants that are able to beat them when they have lesser than normal shooting days. This is when in the past not having to play teams that could threaten you played a major part in a teams record.. That meant that you could play more games at substandard and still win.

Common sense tells you that injuries often play a major role in how well a team does. They are part of basketball. It isn't just about how many injuries hit a team but how those injuries affect the over all strength of the team. Most teams are not really aware of other teams injuries or how they have effected their ability to win. They also do not really know if the individual players are having sub par or if they are exceeding their usual nom percentage wise. This sort of negates the " if certain players had played better" we would have won easily. Why because that applies to both teams. Players are not machines and lack consistency and thats part of basketball. While some are more consistant than others, every player has days when they can not miss or conversely even hit the ocean. Thats why the best free throw shooters have days when they miss were no own guards them. You are never as good as your best day or as bad as your worst. The same applies to teams.

UConn has recently been affected by a couple of bad injury years. That is a given. However, there have been other teams who have had their potential season effected with multiple key major injuries that have gone unnoticed by other fan base's. Why? Because fans tend to be miopic in respect to their own teams. I could name quite a few teams that due to injuries have had seasons derailed, just off the top of my head. But things are what they are and circumstances just need to be dealt with.
But none have had the combination of quality/quanyity of injury UCONN has had.

This Texas game again shows UCONN to be small. Offensive rebounding form the other team a problem among others. Yet they built their team that to play small they have to shoot very well. Two players recruited were elite shooters- Azzi and Caroline. They are gone. As is what the staff thought of Patterson giving them a bigger athetic body to rebound has yet to materialize due to injury as well which surley woudl have helped today. As is the help they expected from their frosh center; hurt during the summer.

Tha's why if we;re being fair without any bias we all have an understanding that UCONN would have bene a beast these last three years without the number of injuires that hit them that far exceeds overall other teams in terms of talent and quntity as a sum during this length of 3 years.

Reaction Score
I've read a lot of weeping and wailing about how poorly UConn played. I disagree. At the 7:19 mark of the first quarter it was 15-3 and timeout was called. From there to the end of the game the difference in the final score did not change. Texas shot lights out. UConn made too many unforced turnovers yet from there to the end of the game they were even. They need to become at least one point better during that first 7 minutes to win. It is obvious there were many chances for that to happen. The slow starts need to get fixed. Everything else gets exponentially easier if it gets fixed. Small steps everyone. This hard early schedule was made to help the team they thought they would have not to get 4 rookies what they would need Tyler Phommachanh learn to start by the 8th game.

All the early development was prioritizing what the experienced players would need. The rookies got to watch what AE and Paige could do. They still revert to that too much. They actually showed they could succeed when Paige was not on the floor. All they need is a little time, patience, and a bit of better luck.

Go Huskies. I still have faith!
You make a good point. After that horrendous start UConn played Texas more or less even despite incredibly stupid turnovers, rebounds, etc.

Reaction Score
Texas was more talented, aggressive and deeper than UConn but UConn’s relentless fight made it a game. The fourth quarter no call when Aaliyah was mugged probably prevented a fabulous comeback.

-Nika could not handle Rori Harmon but I am not sure there are many guards who can.

-Still waiting for Ice Brady to show the ranking she had coming out of high school. Just too many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

-Aubrey is still disappearing for long stretches. As a senior in Geno’s program, she should be way more consistent than she has shown.

-Paige’s minutes may not be a concern to many but it does me. These games don’t mean much. I wish Geno would limit her minutes more. Especially since teams are just beating her up physically.

-He doesn’t like to, but this team should probably play more zone. I think they could rebound better out of zone.

-Q must be practicing poorly but with this group Geno can afford the same patience with Q as he does with Ice.

-I think Geno needs a pep talk of his own. He seems to be understandably frustrated with the injuries but these kids need him. This means doing something he has had not had to do much over the years. Bite the bullet and let the pups go through game time growing pains.

-Still love this program because the kids never strop playing hard. Their body language even when things are going poorly, is good. Turnovers, giving up second chance baskets and scoring from others besides Edwards and Paige will improve as the year goes on.

-Encouraged by the fourth quarter run with the three freshmen on the floor and Paige on the bench.
Historically, the zone gives up a lot of rebounds.

Reaction Score
Listening to the press conference it sounds like Geno is going to play for March and give the freshman more time. I hope he sticks to his words as by the end of year I think the top minutes should be PB, AE, KK, Ice, Shade, Q, with Nika and AG as sparks and defensive sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom