UConn sweeps AP's individual Big East awards.... | The Boneyard

UConn sweeps AP's individual Big East awards....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
These appear to be AP awards voted by writers from conference member team cities.

Big East Conference individual awards - voted by the coaches - will be released tomorrow, I believe.

A sweep there would be
Hurley - Coach
Newton - Player
Clingan - Defensive Player
Castle - Freshman
Diarra - 6th Man AND Most Improved
Karaban - Scholar-Athlete
Spencer - Sportsmanship*

* unless Karaban

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
These appear to be AP awards voted by writers from conference member team cities.

Big East Conference individual awards - voted by the coaches - will be released tomorrow, I believe.

A sweep there would be
Hurley - Coach
Newton - Player
Castle - Freshman
Spencer - Sportsmanship*

* unless Karaban
Did Spencer really eon sportsmanship?

That's one award I didn't think he had a chance at.

Reaction Score
Funny that Newton got POY but was not a unanimous selection for 1st team like Carter and Kolek.
He was a unanimous selection...

Kolek, Newton, Carter and Schierman all were.

Reaction Score
He was a unanimous selection...

Kolek, Newton, Carter and Schierman all were.
Not for this AP award he was not. Click the link and read it.

FIRST TEAM​

u-Guard — Tyler Kolek, Marquette, Sr., 6-3, 190, Cumberland, Rhode Island.
u-Guard — Devin Carter, Providence, Jr., 6-3, 195, Miami.
Guard — Tristen Newton, Connecticut, Gr., 6-5, 195, El Paso, Texas.
Guard — Baylor Scheierman, Creighton, Sr., 6-7, 205, Aurora, Nebraska.
Center — Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton, Sr., 7-1, 270, Florissant, Missouri.
—u-denotes unanimous selection

Reaction Score

A sweep there would be
Hurley - Coach
Newton - Player
Castle - Freshman
Spencer - Sportsmanship*

* unless Karaban
The Big East already announced the Sportsmanship Award and Defensive Player of the Year yesterday. Steven Ashworth and Ryan Kalkbrenner respectively.

Also announced Monday, Creighton’s Ryan Kalkbrenner joined Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning as the only players to ever win Big East Defensive Player of the Year three times. Xavier’s Desmond Claude, a New Haven native, was named Most Improved Player and Creighton’s Steven Ashworth claimed the Sportsmanship Award.

Reaction Score

A sweep there would be
Hurley - Coach
Newton - Player
Castle - Freshman
Spencer - Sportsmanship*

* unless Karaban
Cam getting the sportsmanship award is probably the funniest thing, he's well established to be the biggest trash talker on the team, he probably goes through to handshaking line at the end of every game telling every other player to go duck* themself

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Big East already announced the Sportsmanship Award and Defensive Player of the Year yesterday. Steven Ashworth and Ryan Kalkbrenner respectively.

Also announced Monday, Creighton’s Ryan Kalkbrenner joined Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning as the only players to ever win Big East Defensive Player of the Year three times. Xavier’s Desmond Claude, a New Haven native, was named Most Improved Player and Creighton’s Steven Ashworth claimed the Sportsmanship Award.

Thanks for updating me.

They go it right with 6th Man Hassan, and 'not wrong' with Claude, who has a larger body of work. With Kalkbrenner playing more games & minutes, he is similarly 'not wrong' in retaining his crown. On Ashworth, I'll accept the voting of the coaches. And, I'm fully satisfied that we have Diarra, Clingan, and Spencer.

Does this mean that only Coach & Scholar-Athlete remain unannounced?

Does Alex have a gaudy GPA to go with his triple major, or does he get the Forgotten Man Award that is expressed by his & its stealthiness?

Contrary to predictions of him making the votes 'pay,' he might just keep what doing what he's been doing since last year when his beyond-freshmam maturity showed in the choice for him to pass the ball inbounds when other teams threw on the full court press. Others play better when Alex plays, though, on further consideration, I think this can be said about others too.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
The player of the year isn’t a unanimous selection…

I smell bitterness over facts.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner is soft as warm butter … doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Ewing.

Reaction Score

A sweep there would be
Hurley - Coach
Newton - Player
Castle - Freshman
Spencer - Sportsmanship*

* unless Karaban
Correct. AP awards

IMG_0677.jpeg

Online statistics