UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them.

Reaction Score
Scared off? It’s more like they simply won’t come. I’ve said since Alleyne committed that we should try to grab a 3* 2022 freshman if we can, and otherwise are likely looking at players who aren’t any better than Gaffney but want to step up.

I don’t think we need to fill the ships, but for injury protection we better add a couple of guys, one of whom can contribute off the bench. Maybe as openings dry up people will be less choosy about minutes.
If they won't come then yeah I'd say they're scared to commit. I'm not saying we're going to get rotation players for every spot but I fully expect to replace those open spots with guys at least as good as the kid in Gaffney who just committed to FAU.

We need to fill at least 2 and probably 3 of the scholarships, going into next season with 9 players is insane. I feel like I'm living in some bizarro world

Reaction Score
How many top 25 teams last year had 10 guys that averaged 10+mpg? Clingan would be the last guy in our rotation and hopefully at ~10mpg.

I know No one in the final 4 went more than 8 deep. The best teams have the best starters not the deepest bench.
We have no idea how much all the players will play and how the minutes will be allocated. What I do know is posters were talking about us being too deep heading into last season and we ended up having no depth.

We haven't won a tournament game in 5 seasons yet I always hear that we're too stacked and it's scaring kids off. It doesn't make any sense.

Reaction Score
With 9 total scholarship players, and with the normally occurring injuries every team has (some more serious and longer-lasting than others), it does make sense to get 2 more players even 3* ones that can make a credible showing when needed.

If they are willing to commit knowing the minute limits they likely face on an otherwise healthy team, why not make the investment?

Who's to say they won't get their chance to play, and do well when on the floor. I haven't researched it, but I am sure we have had our fair share of 3* players over the years who have stepped in and stepped up.

Then, we leave 2 unfilled ones this year, allowing for a reclass and an additional one for 2023.

Reaction Score
great timing
Awkward Season 3 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
We're not going to go 10 deep in the rotation but this idea that we don't need to fill our scholarships is so weird. Nobody but UConn fans seems to worry about all these players being scared off as players 10-12 on the bench
i cant tell if we agree. i never ever said we shouldnt fill them, i just dont think we will get 2 players that would need to play as much as castle and diarra. we have the PT for 1 of them and then 3 richie springs types that wont expect to play at all.
Also to answer your question, from the final AP Poll Tennessee, Purdue, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Iowa, Colorado State, Texas all had 10 guys average 10 minutes (a few had a 10th guy around 9.5+ so I rounded up)
thanks for checking that but it proves my point. 7 of 25 means it's the very limited exception not the rule

if we are indeed getting diarra based on the posts above i think we can get 2 more warm bodies and keep the last spot open for a reclass RS whether it's caslte or someone else. i'd LOVE to be proven wrong. just tempering my expectations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i cant tell if we agree. i never ever said we shouldnt fill them, i just dont think we will get 2 players that would need to play as much as castle and diarra. we have the PT for 1 of them and then 3 richie springs types that wont expect to play at all.

thanks for checking that but it proves my point. 7 of 25 means it's the very limited exception not the rule

if we are indeed getting diarra based on the posts above i think we can get 2 more warm bodies and keep the last spot open for a reclass RS whether it's caslte or someone else. i'd LOVE to be proven wrong. just tempering my expectations.
I think we do agree, not gonna be minutes to keep adding rotation guys but as long as we fill them with someone just as injury insurance I'm fine. Preferably some grad transfers just looking to come along for an NCAA tournament ride

Reaction Score
May 20 is when the grades come in for Castle. All of the vibes I've seen in his words and quotes suggest no reclass.. Maybe we get surprised. We just have to keep building the roster with quality adds.. Case closed. .End of story.

This staff moves very quietly with their targets/recruitments.. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Honest question (I have no opinion here):

Would you rather Corey Floyd, Sool Diggins, Jalen Gaffney OR Tristen Newton, Alleyne, Diarra

Did the staff run in circles or is the backcourt situation improved?
Floyd and Diarra are close enough that I could be convinced either way on that, but the trio we have is a massive upgrade

Reaction Score
Honest question (I have no opinion here):

Would you rather Corey Floyd, Sool Diggins, Jalen Gaffney OR Tristen Newton, Alleyne, Diarra

Did the staff run in circles or is the backcourt situation improved?
IMO.. Not even close. Substantial upgrades with tough/two way players that are great teammates.

Just need to get Diarra on campus for "formal" OV and tour by his brother.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Alleyne will be a nice piece, but if we were only going to be able to add two transfers to get starter minutes, then I wish we had done a little better.

It’s certainly an improved backcourt from what we had lined up, but I’m not convinced at all that (even with Diarra) next year’s team is better than this year’s team.

Really hoping the Castle reclass is still in the cards.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Alleyne will be a nice piece, but if we were only going to be able to add two transfers to get starter minutes, then I wish we had done a little better.

It’s certainly an improved backcourt from what we had lined up, but I’m not convinced at all that (even with Diarra) next year’s team is better than this year’s team.

This is the right analysis. The staff has dealt with replacing the players transferring out and improved the club with replacements who have already proven that they are high level players. But that masks the question of whether we’ve replaced the four rotation players who graduated and moved on. We have not replaced those players’ production with the transfers. If we’re going to be better next year than we were last year, it will take huge improvements from Hawkins and Jackson and real contributions from Karaban and one of Donovan or Samson. Will that happen? The potential is there, but it’s a long way from a sure thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We're better, we have players who can co-exist on the court and not just a mix of talented players who don't fit

Reaction Score

Next years team was always going to rely on the improvements of our 3 returning rotation players. We weren’t going to recruit over those 3. We got better pieces that fit around them, I think it’s a bit unrealistic to expect the staff to do better than they did in the transfer market to improve the team. Now it’s all about player development and guys fitting their roles.

Reaction Score
Next years team was always going to rely on the improvements of our 3 returning rotation players. We weren’t going to recruit over those 3. We got better pieces that fit around them, I think it’s a bit unrealistic to expect the staff to do better than they did in the transfer market to improve the team. Now it’s all about player development and guys fitting their roles.
So when exactly is next year’s roster “set,” definitely no more transfers, no guys 10-13, etc.?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have no idea how much all the players will play and how the minutes will be allocated. What I do know is posters were talking about us being too deep heading into last season and we ended up having no depth.

We haven't won a tournament game in 5 seasons yet I always hear that we're too stacked and it's scaring kids off. It doesn't make any sense.
The counter argument is that we were deep, and Dan didn’t play the guys. So if you are coming here in a bench role, you may wonder whether Hurley will do that to you. I’m not arguing that is what happened (although in some respects I think it did) just the perception. Other coaches could easily point to how limited Hurley’s use of his bench was.

I agree we are all just spitballing about who will play, how much and in what role. Aside from Sanogo and Newton who are the only legit options at 5 and 1, everything else should be up for grabs.

Reaction Score
So when exactly is next year’s roster “set,” definitely no more transfers, no guys 10-13, etc.?
I don’t think anyone has a timetable at this point. The portal closing should make the transfers out not a chief concern anymore. Would assume we are only getting to 12 not 13 to save room for a reclass.

Reaction Score
We have not replaced those players’ production with the transfers. If we’re going to be better next year than we were last year, it will take huge improvements from Hawkins and Jackson and real contributions from Karaban and one of Donovan or Samson. Will that happen? The potential is there, but it’s a long way from a sure thing.
we will have replaced any offensive production we lost simply by swapping the whaley/sanogo pairing for a four-out offense. and IMO we should be relying on returning player development more than just bringing in new talent. we should have a nice balance of both next season but nothing is ever a given either way.

Newton, Sanogo, Alleyne, and Diarra will set our floor. The other five guys, AJ and Hawk in particular, will define our ceiling.

AJ would start on any team in the country and Hawk is an NBA talent. Relying on these two guys is a plan most would ride or die with.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom