UConn stats...Too bad Napheesa is having an "off year"... | The Boneyard

UConn stats...Too bad Napheesa is having an "off year"...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Napheesa 2.jpeg

The truth is, of course, that she is having another spectacular season. It should be enough to point out she leads the team in scoring with 481 points, 10 ahead of Katie Lou. After all, so many players around WCBB are given superstar status based on how many points they score and little else...:rolleyes:

Consider Pheesa's other contributions:
1. Rebounds -
With 234 total boards, Collier is 2nd to Z by 1 rebound.
2. Assists - Napheesa has 10 assists in two AAC tournament games, giving her 101 for the season. Last year, she had 83 assists for the year.
3. Blocked shots - At 56 blocks, she is 2nd to Azura with 63.
4. Made shots - Collier leads the team in made field goals with 198 and made free throws with 66. ;)
5. Free throws - Napheesa leads the team with 82 attempts and is making 80.5% of all tries.
6. Steals - Her 52 steals rank 2nd to Gabby's 76.
7. Turnovers - Collier is the only player with more assists (101), steals (52) and blocked shots (56) than turnovers (50). :cool: Gabby has 75 turnovers.
8. Three-point shooting - Napheesa is 19-56 on shots beyond the arc. That is 34%. That is a better % than Linnae Harper at Ohio State (32%) and more threes than A'ja Wilson (19 vs 5). :D

Napheesa is a workhorse that allows Geno to pencil in 15 points and 8 rebounds every game. She and Kia are the only two UConn players to start all 31 games. Her 883 minutes are 2nd on the team and she logs 28.5 minutes every night. She is not flashy or loud, just efficient & dependable. I doubt any opponent would agree she is having an "off year." She isn't...;)

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
And the coaches will probably have to grit their teeth, take a deep breath, sigh, (not easy to do at the same time) and delete Napheesa's name from the All-American recommendation this year. Ouch.

Reaction Score
Yes her numbers against the cupcake aac are good but its the big games she needs to show up for. She averaged 20 points last season and that number has dropped. I still think only kls and gabby will be AA this year.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Yes her numbers against the cupcake aac are good but its the big games she needs to show up for. She averaged 20 points last season and that number has dropped. I still think only kls and gabby will be AA this year.

Big games...? You mean like against Notre Dame when she played all 40 minutes, scored 15 pts, had 9 rebounds, blocked 3 shots, had 3 assists, grabbed 1 steal and turned the ball over 0 times?
Or, like early in the season against Maryland when she had a double-double (13 & 11), with 4 assists, 2 blocked shots and 1 steal & only 1 turnover in 32 minutes..?
Maybe you meant the South Carolina game when she scored 19 points, grabbed 6 rebounds, blocked 5 shots, had 4 assists, nabbed 2 steals and made 2-2 from 3 range in 33 minutes?

Or are those all cupckaes too..? :rolleyes:

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Yes, Pheesa has scored 10 points more than KLS, but KLS has played 5+ games less than Pheesa. It is not total points, but points per game, that matters in the scoring metric.

That said, Pheesa has been having a pretty good season so far by common standards. But everything in life in relative. The reason why she is not getting the buzz this season is because of her spectacular last season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The player on the left had an "off-year" her junior season and finished only second in some NPOY awards to the player on the right. As I recall, the "off-year" was still pretty darned good.

whouse15_lg.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Personally, I think she's dropped off significantly. From spectacular to solid. To me, she hasn't been the same since the Final Four loss.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Cite the big games of which you speak. What opponents constituted "big games?"
UCLA, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Texas and who else? Texas was her only bad game.
Code:
        MIN  PTS  REB  ASST  STL  BLK
UCLA    40   23    7     4    0    5
ND      40   15    9     3    3    1
Louvl   37   14    6     4    1    3
Texas   26    5    5     1    0    0 fouled out

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Personally, I think she's dropped off significantly. From spectacular to solid. To me, she hasn't been the same since the Final Four loss.
I thought she dropped off the first 10-15 games this season, but I think she's back to last year's level.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Geno should send a message to the committee regarding the stupid rule 3 players only from a team. He should leave off the obvious candidate (LOU) and nominate Gabby, Pheese, and Nurse since all three are just as qualified as any in the nation. Yeah, that should do it...make the committee realize they now have to leave off the potential POY on any AA list since Geno could "only nominate 3" That should stir up some things!

Ehhh something tells me Geno nor Lou are gonna be really crazy about that idea. Actually, I'm not so crazy about it either.

But, from experience, I feel one of the best ways to overturn a rediculous and unnecessary rule is to throw it right back in the face of the rule maker and leave them no choice!

Yeah, maybe not the brightest plan but they really, really, really need to overturn that rule (in my best Geno voice lol) :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom