UConn stats...that's how to play defense.... | The Boneyard

UConn stats...that's how to play defense....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn put on a defensive clinic while crushing #11 FSU 73-49. Consider the following:

1. FSU has three starters shoot 2-11, 3-11 and 4-12 for a combined 26%.
2. UConn created 26 turnovers and had 9 blocked shots.
3. Every UConn starter had at least 1 steal, the team had 17.
4. Stewie had 6 blocks, 5 steals and 5 defensive rebounds.
5. MoJeff held Leticia Romero to 4 baskets and 2 assists, while making her turn the ball over 7 times.
6. Napheesa Collier started, played 32 minutes, lead the team w/ 7 rebounds, added 4 steals and blocked 2 shots. Oh, and she had 0 fouls.
7. FSU shot 38% from the field and made only 3 three point baskets.

I guess this year's team really can play good defense.
Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Another impressive stat, no FSU starter hit double digits in scoring, though the reserve Shakayla Thomas had a nice game with 16 points. The last time UConn stifled the opponent's starters that way was almost two years ago with Cal, though in that game none of the Bears hit double digits.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
FSU only attempted 9 3's. I guess UConn got some work done improving their 3 point defense.
Maybe, but FSU takes fewer 3s than almost all teams, averaging only 12 coming in, and they don't shoot them well enough to make them a good option against UConn. This is the way it will be for a lot of UConn's opponents coming up, and the 3pt % should start dropping way down for them just like last year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Another impressive stat, no FSU starter hit double digits in scoring, though the reserve Shakayla Thomas had a nice game with 16 points. The last time UConn stifled the opponent's starters that way was almost two years ago with Cal, though in that game none of the Bears hit double digits.
And meant to say that it was the first time against a ranked team since Cal. There have been some lesser teams along the way.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
FSU played tough, not an easy game...they hung around until the 4th quarter
But David is right, is was the D that made the difference
And Moriah in particular made it extraordinarily difficult for Romero to penetrate, distribute or shoot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And one stat that is unusual in a big win, -13 on rebound margin as they got outboarded 37-24. That can happen, and UConn has won NC games with bigger discrepancies, but you will rarely see a team losing the battle of the boards by 13 and winning by 24. Most of the difference was offensive rebounds, and the key is still putting the ball in the hole. Some of the FSU rebounds also were followed by quick strips.

Reaction Score
Personally delighted that Romero is thriving in her role at FSU. The shabby treatment she got from KU was beneath contempt. If not for public pressures they may have held onto the vendetta for a full year.

Reaction Score
Romero had the problems at Kansas State, not Kansas University. That said, it was pretty nasty, and I loved it when Rebeca Lobo called them out on Twitter. That was classy.

Reaction Score
Romero had the problems at Kansas State, not Kansas University. That said, it was pretty nasty, and I loved it when Rebeca Lobo called them out on Twitter. That was classy.
And my apologies to KU, staff and fans. I posted often during the fiasco and had several contentious "conversations" with supporters who were all certain that the departing coach was lining up her next job on the back of Romero. Several claimed insider knowledge that Romero was a guarentee for delivery wherever her former coach went. The tampering charges were without merit and State finally got the message and let the girl move on. Sour grapes is the only explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom