UConn stats...Pheesa strikes gold without hitting iron.. | The Boneyard

UConn stats...Pheesa strikes gold without hitting iron..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs Texas.jpeg

In the precious metals world, 24 karat gold is considered "pure gold." For UConn basketball, #24 is as close to pure gold as one can get. Napheesa Collier struck gold in Sunday's rout of Texas by scoring 24 points, many in close to the iron. The undersized, over performing forward finished with spectacular stats. Consider:

1. Pheesa's 24 points came from all over the court, in close, from the 3 pt arc and from the free throw line. :)
2. Collier led the team with 8 rebounds, including 6 defensive boards.
3. Again leading the team, Napheesa had 5 of the Huskies 9 steals. :eek:
4. Collier played 39 minutes, the whole game, until Geno brought in fresh subs in the last minute.
5. Her two three point baskets came on just 3 attempts. She is now hitting 50% of her threes.
6. Napheesa is now averaging 19.0 pts per game, just behind KLS's 19.1 per game. :D
7. The 2 blocked shots from last night raise her team leading total to 13.
8. For the season, Collier leads UConn in rebounds (50), made baskets (56), blocks (13) and is one point behind KLS in total points (133 vs 134). :cool:

Napheesa Collier has shown up big in every game this year. #24 is playing pure UConn basketball against bigger and taller opponents. The best is yet to come..!!

Go Pheesa..!!

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is First Team AA this year. There is no forward playing better basketball in the country!
+1
Which leads to the question, what explains the sudden emergence, not just of a very good player, as we all knew she'd be, but of a great player with the potential to becoming a transcendent player? Many thought she was actually at least as good as Lou in high school, and while she flashed last year, there were times when she seemed a bit lost. What explains the explosive move forward? Was it the injury last year; or the fact that Lou was a better fit for the fifth slot on that particular team; or that this year's team better fits her game; or that the game has slowed down for her? Maybe all the above?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
+1
Which leads to the question, what explains the sudden emergence, not just of a very good player, as we all knew she'd be, but of a great player with the potential to becoming a transcendent player? Many thought she was actually at least as good as Lou in high school, and while she flashed last year, there were times when she seemed a bit lost. What explains the explosive move forward? Was it the injury last year; or the fact that Lou was a better fit for the fifth slot on that particular team; or that this year's team better fits her game; or that the game has slowed down for her? Maybe all the above?
All of the above plus-as in simply best coaching staff EVER!

Reaction Score
+1
Wasn't Collier a starter early in the season last year? I think Gabby started a few, then Collier until January when KLS got the spot permanently.

Reaction Score
"Napheesa Collier led UConn with 24 points, the third time this season she has led the team in scoring. In three games this week, she scored 23, 18 and 24 points, converting 30 of 39 shots."
Tuck Likes What She Sees Of UConn
If Napheesa doesn't get Player of the Week (all the awards) I demand a recount!
And what's maybe even more amazing is, of those 39 shots, does anyone remember any of them being bad shots, shots she shouldn't have taken? she is so completely in control of her game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
+1
I was just remembering this morning a comment Geno made mid-season last year to the effect: he just can't figure Napheesa out - in practice they pass to her in the lane and no one can stop her scoring, then they put her in a game, get her the ball and she tries to be Moriah and find an open teammate.
Well she ain't doing that no more! :)
Assists are noticeably absent from you wonderful stats recap above David - and for good reason. She gets one every 15+ minutes of court time - trailing by a lot the other 4 starters and Crystal, and only slightly better than Butler. And Geno and her teammates are pretty happy about that fact! :)

Reality check from a preseason thread: a discussion of how many threes Gabby and Napheesa would contribute this year compared to Morgan last year with a poster pretty sure they wouldn't come close - through 7 games the total is 6 (and at a stunning 46%) and that would project out over a 35 game run to 30. Morgan made 28 in 38 games last year at 32% shooting.:)

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
+1
I believe it is simply a matter of NC having a full year to learn and feel comfortable in the UCONN system plus more looks due to the graduation class.. Expected as a natural form of progression.. She also has a better basketball physique than KLS, which helps at this level... Neither player was the primary or secondary focus of the opposing defense last year, so opportunity was there for the taking.. KLS now has that target on her back and as expected teams will be more physical with her as they did with BS.. NC is a bit stronger so I'm not surprised of her ability to get results even when targeted, Plus she seems to be always moving..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And what's maybe even more amazing is, of those 39 shots, does anyone remember any of them being bad shots, shots she shouldn't have taken? she is so completely in control of her game.
I remember watching her attempt a couple of off-balance bank shots over Kelsey Lang in the first quarter which looked to me like bad attempts, but then they went in. So I guess they actually were good shots, even if they seemed improbable to a lay observer.

Reaction Score
Having watched UCONN players for many years, its clear that NC's basketball IQ is right up there with any forwards who have played for us. The ultimate compliment has been comments like..." she had a quiet 20 points" Wayne Gretxky was perhaps the greatest at going to where the puck will be. NC always seems to be in the right spot and with very little effort. Its just an innate feel for the game that is difficult to teach.
In addition, she is such a fantastic teammate that clearly enjoys the game.

Reaction Score
"Napheesa Collier led UConn with 24 points, the third time this season she has led the team in scoring. In three games this week, she scored 23, 18 and 24 points, converting 30 of 39 shots."
Tuck Likes What She Sees Of UConn

If Napheesa doesn't get Player of the Week (all the awards) I demand a recount!

Morgan is going to do the radio broadcast on December 11. I might have to mute the TV and listen to the radio.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I remember watching her attempt a couple of off-balance bank shots over Kelsey Lang in the first quarter which looked to me like bad attempts, but then they went in. So I guess they actually were good shots, even if they seemed improbable to a lay observer.

That fade-away bank shot is one she uses to get around defenders taller than she is when she's near the basket. Last nite wasn't the first time she's used it successfully. Gives me the shivers.

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is First Team AA this year. There is no forward playing better basketball in the country!
I agree 100%. She has uncanny instincts and anticipation everywhere but especially around the paint. IMO, they absolutely have to have her on the floor in crunch time.

Reaction Score
She has a pretty shot. Don't know how many parts, but the elbow, palm and follow-through are beautiful. Before the last game, I would scream if she took a long-distance shot, the confidence wasn't there. Being one of the outside go-to's raises her responsibility and hopefully her percentage, because we need everybody sharpshooting, even Nat.

Reaction Score
She has a pretty shot. Don't know how many parts, but the elbow, palm and follow-through are beautiful. Before the last game, I would scream if she took a long-distance shot, the confidence wasn't there. Being one of the outside go-to's raises her responsibility and hopefully her percentage, because we need everybody sharpshooting, even Nat.
Butler would be fine if she didn't have hands like blocks, and when she does catch a ball to just go up with it instead of messing around under the hoop like so many other teams' bigs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom