UConn stats...early, but interesting (merged thread) | The Boneyard

UConn stats...early, but interesting (merged thread)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn starts the season 3-0 and the early stats are interesting. Very small sample, but definitely some surprises...
Consider:
1. Azzi averaging 30.0 points per game.
2. Nika averaging 10+ assists per game. (31 total)
3. Both Aaliyah and Dorka averaging 10 rebounds per game.
4. Five players averaging double figures in scoring per game. In addition to Azzi, Lou = 16.3, Aaliyah = 15, Aubrey = 14.3 and Dorka at 10.
5. UConn scoring 90.7 pts per game so far.
6. Leading three point % = Aubrey at 66% (2-3). Nika 2nd at 3-6, 50%.
7. Azzi not missed a free throw yet (11-11).
8. UConn with 60 assists on 101 baskets.
9. Ayanna with 16 rebounds in 31 minutes. Also, 10 fouls.
10. Fudd with 90 points out of UConn's 272.

Bring on Duke this Friday..!
Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted else where. I checked NCAAW stats ( NCAA College Women's Basketball DI Stats | NCAA.com ) thinking that Azzi might be #1 in scoring and Nika #1 in assists per game

Azzi is #2 with a 30 ppg average behind DePaul's Aneesah Morrow at 31.5 ppg, The top three includes Villanova's Maddy Siegrist tied wtih Drexel's Keishana Washington at 29 ppg. The Big East with the top three!

Nika's assists per game average of 10.3 leads two players tied with 9.0.

Aaliyah with 10.7 boards per game is tied for 27th.

It's only three games.... if Azzi and Nika continue their great play they could end up being #1 in these categories by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Plus Uconn has as a team, 60 assists. Nika has 31 of them. Uconn is a team that has emerged as a powerhouse and after Duke or whichever of the other 2 team wins in the tournament, Uconn will be a team that no other team will take lightly. Another trophy for Uconn. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Nika's also leading all big east with steals and assist to turnover ratio. She could get zero assists the next two games and still be leading the big east in assists per game. I didn't watch the game live yesterday so when I saw Nika had 15 assists, I assumed her teammates must have made every shot they were passed but when I re-watched the game, there were at least 3 or 4 missed layups and 4 or 5 missed threes. She truly put on a clinic yesterday, with the combination of how explosive Aubrey and Aaliyah are on the open floor and Azzi and Lou's ability to move and get open without the ball, super fun to watch.

1669061510367.png

1669061595535.png

Reaction Score
Connecticut is now second on the Massey ratings, behind South Carolina but ahead of Stanford.

Slightly off topic: LSU is 5-0 and leads the country with a scoring margin of 65.4. They're not actually that good: they've played five teams outside Massey's top 300 and have a SoS of 354. They're scoring 108.8 against some of the worst teams in Division I. What they were thinking with such a weak schedule is beyond me. By comparison, Connecticut is +29.3 against the third best strength of schedule.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Connecticut is now second on the Massey ratings, behind South Carolina but ahead of Stanford.

Slightly off topic: LSU is 5-0 and leads the country with a scoring margin of 65.4. They're not actually that good: they've played five teams outside Massey's top 300 and have a SoS of 354. They're scoring 108.8 against some of the worst teams in Division I. What they were thinking with such a weak schedule is beyond me. By comparison, Connecticut is +29.3 against the third best strength of schedule.
Kim Mulkey has done this for years, first at Baylor now at LSU. She schedules lightweights until the Conference games start. Here is the teams LSU is scheduled to play and their current Massey rankings before their first Conference game against Arkansas, who is ranked #26.

George Mason #228
S.E. Louisiana #246
Tulane #80
New Orleans #322
Lamar #243
Montana St. #108
Oregon St. #36

How the AP can have them ranked at #12, when they haven't played anyone is beyond comprehension.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
90.7 points per game is nice to see, especially after a 73.8 point per game average last season.

Worth mentioning, though, that we started last season with 95 against Arkansas and 88 against Minnesota. But lots of games with very little firepower available.

The Stewart and Samuelson teams generally averaged in the mid to high eighties, and this group seems to me to be entirely capable of doing that.

Reaction Score
The Stewart and Samuelson teams generally averaged in the mid to high eighties, and this group seems to me to be entirely capable of doing that.
I find it is interesting that your referenced the "Samuelson" team when Collier was in the same class and the better player, not to mention Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were in the class before.

FYI Katie Lou isn't even my favorite Samuelson, that would be Karlie, who is playing this off season in Australia with the Townsville Fire.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
90.7 points per game is nice to see, especially after a 73.8 point per game average last season.

Worth mentioning, though, that we started last season with 95 against Arkansas and 88 against Minnesota. But lots of games with very little firepower available.

Paige played in the Arkansas and Minnesota games last year. Plus, she was healthy.

Reaction Score
I find it is interesting that your referenced the "Samuelson" team when Collier was in the same class and the better player, not to mention Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were in the class before.

FYI Katie Lou isn't even my favorite Samuelson, that would be Karlie, who is playing this off season in Australia with the Townsville Fire.
Samuelson was, like Stewart, the best high school player in the country. I don’t see anything wrong with calling them the Samuelson years ; they both set several UConn records as teammates and were both Top 5 WNBA draft picks. If I had made the post, I would have included both of them.

Reaction Score

Katy Lou Samuelson scored 59 less points than Collier and missed many games when she was hurt. With her game average, Lou would have scored 150 -200 more points if they played the same amount of games. I am not knocking Collier,because between Collier and Lou, they set the school record for points scored by 2 teammates of 4,743 points. In MY opinion they were equal in their playing skills,although Lou was the better 3 point shooter by far. BOTH EXCELLED. GO HUSKIES!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

LSU’s SoS on Massey was in the mid-400’s the other day, meaning that about 100 DII, DIII, and/or NAIA teams have tougher schedules. They’re #370 at the moment. Kim really (really) should be embarrassed.

Reaction Score
Katy Lou Samuelson scored 59 less points than Collier and missed many games when she was hurt. With her game average, Lou would have scored 150 -200 more points if they played the same amount of games. I am not knocking Collier,because between Collier and Lou, they set the school record for points scored by 2 teammates of 4,743 points. In MY opinion they were equal in their playing skills,although Lou was the better 3 point shooter by far. BOTH EXCELLED. GO HUSKIES!!!
Katie Lou was the reason I started following Husky WCBB.
When healthy she was so animated and fun to watch. And when she was “on” from outside the arc, it was astounding.
Pheesa went about her business on a relatively quiet, competent way.
There were times she just took over a game to the point that you wondered if there were 2 or 3 # 24’s on the court.
SHE WAS EVERYWHERE!!
When they were on the court together it was magic.
Wonder if a healthy Paige & Azzi will put on a show like them.

Reaction Score
Rebecca was got me interested in husky wbb -- not Geno, just Rebecca. Then there was a slow stretch, until Svet and Sue and Tamika and Swin and Shea and Caroline showed up ... and then Diana and Maya and Breanna and there was no turning back.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Lou was also the better ball handler often brought to ball up against the press. Better passer, too. What a great complimentary pair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom