UConn stats.... Azzi & Lou shooting... | The Boneyard

UConn stats.... Azzi & Lou shooting...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Hurricane ian.jpeg

Despite the name, I live in Estero which is closer to Ft. Myers than Naples. Hurricane Ian tore up some nearby neighborhoods, but kindly spared my home. Pool screens, roof tiles and landscaping damage, but grateful the house is intact and clean up is underway. Thank you for thoughts and good wishes.

IMO, Azzi and Lou are the two best shooters for UConn this season. The case for each is laid out below:
1. Azzi - Fudd was injured enough to miss 11 games last season. She played 25 games and scored 303 points (tied for 3rd). But, her shooting stats were off the charts despite being a focus of many defenses. She made 43% of her threes (58-135), 50% of shots inside the arc (49-99) and an amazing 91% from the charity stripe (31-34). No telling what a healthy Azzi can do this season..!

2. Lou - At Fairfield, Lou played 30 of 31 games and averaged an incredible 34.2 minutes per game. Her point total of 587 was more than the 2nd & 3rd players COMBINED. (587 vs 577) She took an amazing 505 shots. (Azzi took 234 sots) Every team Fairfield played knew Lou was their main threat, but she still shot 40% from three (52-130), 46.4% from inside the arc (174-375), and a very respectable 80% from the line (83-104). Two things to notice. Lou shot a lot from inside the arc (375 shots) and gets fouled often (130 foul shots). A total of 587 points comes out to 19.6 per game, even when the defense knows you are the one to stop. Early scouting reports say Lou has all the shots fans would hope (distance, pull ups, drives...) She may be open more this year with Azzi getting the defenses' attention and surrounded by more talent.

What about Caroline as a shooter. No intention to slight Caroline in this analysis. She also scored 303 points and IMO is a great "scorer", but not quite the "shooter" Azzi and Lou are. In her defense, she was injured quite a lot as well. Her 28% from outside the arc will improve and being healthy will greatly help her shooting %.

Go Huskies..!!
D in N

Reaction Score
Best wishes on your recovery. Agree with your points, I think if there is one single stat I expect will improve this year over last, it would be Caroline's 3point %. She came to Uconn with the reputation as an elite 3pt shooter and underachieved expectations from there. Heading into last year my over and under line on her 3pt shooting might have been over 40%.

Now I would lower that but still expect her to achieve a percentage of at least 35%. By the way her interior scoring and two pt % was probably better than I anticipated, so if she connects more from beyond the arc her overall efficiency should be very good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
David, best wishes with the clean-up and thanks for the post! I agree--Azzi is a truly elite shooter and Lou is a very solid shooter. Every season, Azzi has a chance at 50/40/90. Her pull-up was off last year, because of her injury. Otherwise, she would have made it. As it was, 46/43/91 wasn't too shabby. For comparison, Caitlin Clark shot 45/33/88.

Taking a longer-term view, Azzi was the #1 recruit in the nation in her class since 9th grade. She was the first NPOY as a sophomore, and St. John's beat a number of loaded teams in the DC area. She also won the 3-point contest at the Steph Curry Camp, beating all the boys, 2 years in a row.

Regarding Lou, she was All-Conference 3x and the unanimous POY as a senior. Despite drawing the focus of the defense, she shot basically 40% from the arc and 80% or better from the FT line for 3 seasons. The details, starting with her sophomore season: 43/39/86, 42/41/83, and 45/41/80.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 79679

Despite the name, I live in Estero which is closer to Ft. Myers than Naples. Hurricane Ian tore up some nearby neighborhoods, but kindly spared my home. Pool screens, roof tiles and landscaping damage, but grateful the house is intact and clean up is underway. Thank you for thoughts and good wishes.

IMO, Azzi and Lou are the two best shooters for UConn this season. The case for each is laid out below:
1. Azzi - Fudd was injured enough to miss 11 games last season. She played 25 games and scored 303 points (tied for 3rd). But, her shooting stats were off the charts despite being a focus of many defenses. She made 43% of her threes (58-135), 50% of shots inside the arc (49-99) and an amazing 91% from the charity stripe (31-34). No telling what a healthy Azzi can do this season..!

2. Lou - At Fairfield, Lou played 30 of 31 games and averaged an incredible 34.2 minutes per game. Her point total of 587 was more than the 2nd & 3rd players COMBINED. (587 vs 577) She took an amazing 505 shots. (Azzi took 234 sots) Every team Fairfield played knew Lou was their main threat, but she still shot 40% from three (52-130), 46.4% from inside the arc (174-375), and a very respectable 80% from the line (83-104). Two things to notice. Lou shot a lot from inside the arc (375 shots) and gets fouled often (130 foul shots). A total of 587 points comes out to 19.6 per game, even when the defense knows you are the one to stop. Early scouting reports say Lou has all the shots fans would hope (distance, pull ups, drives...) She may be open more this year with Azzi getting the defenses' attention and surrounded by more talent.

What about Caroline as a shooter. No intention to slight Caroline in this analysis. She also scored 303 points and IMO is a great "scorer", but not quite the "shooter" Azzi and Lou are. In her defense, she was injured quite a lot as well. Her 28% from outside the arc will improve and being healthy will greatly help her shooting %.

Go Huskies..!!
D in N
Thanks for the info and good luck on your storm recovery. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Fudd mentioned that her bad foot limited her elevation last season and that in turn hurt her mid-range shot. I think that a lack of elevation also hurt Muhl's mid-range/inside game.

UConn has 3+ 3pt threats that can't be left open. UConn's offense should hit at a high % this season. As long as Fudd isn't forced to take 20+ shots she should exceed all of her 2022 averages. If teams want to follow her around and give help everywhere then there are plenty of alternatives for UConn this season. UConn is loaded with a load of very good to outstanding 4's and all of them appear to have an outside shot. If they stay relatively healthy and the 2 freshmen continue the trend of being 1st year contributors they will be able to play aggressively. Fresher legs in the 4th period win title games.

Reaction Score
Caroline throughout high school was a great shooter and versatile scorer. I don’t worry about her shooting percentage being lower than expected in her freshman season. She had lingering injuries, and often the defense concentrated on her as the main offensive threat when her teammates were unable to play. She plays dependable defense and also is a good passer.
Let’s see how she does this season before writing her off or saying Lou is a better option.

Reaction Score
Caroline throughout high school was a great shooter and versatile scorer. I don’t worry about her shooting percentage being lower than expected in her freshman season. She had lingering injuries, and often the defense concentrated on her as the main offensive threat when her teammates were unable to play. She plays dependable defense and also is a good passer.
Let’s see how she does this season before writing her off or saying Lou is a better option.
Caroline is a scorer, not just a shooter, and she's a disruptor, not just a defender.

When we went through our missed layup swoon last season, Caroline was unaffected. And when she got a block or a steal, she immediately looked down the floor for someone to pass to. Above all, she is what Geno calls "a basketball player." I think he'll want her on the floor as much as possible.

Reaction Score
I've said this before, and here it is again: 120 minutes at the 1-3 to divide between 5 players. I bet at least 60 of that 120 goes to Azzi and Caroline, maybe as much as 70. The rest goes to Nika, Lou, Ines, and probably a few to Aubrey and Ayanna as well. If Geno wants Lou on the floor for 20-30 mins, that will not come out of Caroline's playing time, and certainly not Azzi's either.

Reaction Score
Geno may be forced to spread minutes more than usual. He has a wide range of skills and size on his bench and minutes will go up and down game to game depending on the opponent. I doubt that Fudd and Ducharme will play 30' for too many games until the tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm grateful you and yours survived IAN. I've scrambled away from 2 or so Andrew, and alike, the process was scary. East Coast.
Rode out too may pacific typhoons, very scary. Strong storms aren't the same watching the tube or being right there. Your, macho, comes out with your dismissal. You WERE lucky, as I was that you came thru this. I'd never again be able to pass another test without you. Bless you David.
Thanks for the Data, Azzi comes out as a different player than we saw--we knew she was top talent, this proves it. My high bragging about Caroline appears to have been too personal, in wanting her to excel. She IS a scorer, she IS tough minded and the right player when needed. Lou, IS impressive--sorry we'll only have her one year.

Reaction Score
David, best wishes with the clean-up and thanks for the post! I agree--Azzi is a truly elite shooter and Lou is a very solid shooter. Every season, Azzi has a chance at 50/40/90. Her pull-up was off last year, because of her injury. Otherwise, she would have made it. As it was, 46/43/91 wasn't too shabby. For comparison, Caitlin Clark shot 45/33/88.

Taking a longer-term view, Azzi was the #1 recruit in the nation in her class since 9th grade. She was the first NPOY as a sophomore, and St. John's beat a number of loaded teams in the DC area. She also won the 3-point contest at the Steph Curry Camp, beating all the boys, 2 years in a row.

Regarding Lou, she was All-Conference 3x and the unanimous POY as a senior. Despite drawing the focus of the defense, she shot basically 40% from the arc and 80% or better from the FT line for 3 seasons. The details, starting with her sophomore season: 43/39/86, 42/41/83, and 45/41/80.
I don't know when I first started reading your posting on this young lady. Azzi. 8th grade? You've been posting on her, to my glee, for at least 5 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know when I first started reading your posting on this young lady. Azzi. 8th grade? You've been posting on her, to my glee, for at least 5 years.
9th grade. Sue Semrau and I watched her and just shook our heads.

Reaction Score
It seems that Geno thinks Ice is making great progress in the time he has had her available. Ice as the first freshman off the bench?

I sense that Geno likes the Lou and Caroline on the wings option with Azzi at PG. It's clear he thinks Lou is going to be a major asset.

So what about Nika ? Relegated back to bench ? We looked way better with her as the Starting PG last year instead of westbrook . Azzi playing PG will make it hard for her to be a threat off screens as she becomes the primary ballhandler and the initiator of the sets. Hopefully this is not set in stone.

Reaction Score
Lou is used to playing 34 minutes a game. I don't think she is going to sit much either. Something has to give right? Is it Caroline? Azzi? I think not.

Reaction Score
Lou is used to playing 34 minutes a game. I don't think she is going to sit much either. Something has to give right? Is it Caroline? Azzi? I think not.
I think your looking at it with the glass half full. I have a hard time believing Geno will relegate Nika to the bench in favor of a transfer who just started learning the system. That would be a very controversial move in regards to chemistry. Yeah lou "may" be a better scorer but can she disrupt other teams offense ? Can she be the toughest player on the floor along with being a floor general ? That's a lot of trust for a player who has yet to step foot in a real UCONN game situation .

Reaction Score
Fresher legs in the 4th period win title games.
I don't agree. All-americans / and/or superstars generally win you championships. It's why they are almost always FF MVP's.

It's why all the coaches in big games tend to have a short bench.

The superstar will beat the bench player.

JBK

Reaction Score
I've said this before, and here it is again: 120 minutes at the 1-3 to divide between 5 players. I bet at least 60 of that 120 goes to Azzi and Caroline, maybe as much as 70. The rest goes to Nika, Lou, Ines, and probably a few to Aubrey and Ayanna as well. If Geno wants Lou on the floor for 20-30 mins, that will not come out of Caroline's playing time, and certainly not Azzi's either.
A healthy and incredibly athletic Aubrey may change your minutes a bit —
She was a game changer with her defense and can also get to the hoop.

Reaction Score
UConn will be better with Azzi receiving the first pass, not making the first pass. Nika will most likely play 20-25 minutes per game (assuming she doesn't pick up a couple of fouls in the warm-up line). The other 15-20 minutes UConn will need a PG. Azzi will pick up most of those minutes, maybe Ines gets a few (that's why we got her). I don't see many other good PG options. Caroline? Lou? Aubs?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on Geno's presser,

Azzi's game plan is to shoot shoot shoot (unless double teamed). Handling the extra responsibility really well
He loves the way the team looks when Caroline and Lou are on the court together
Nika had a great practice and is on top of the PG position. Shoots when she should shoot, does not force it etc.

So, alot of 3 (and even some 4 ) guard sets except when we play mammoth teams?

And I get the feeling Inez will be this teams Molly Bent. :oops:

Reaction Score
View attachment 79679

Go Huskies..!!
D in N
I e been through two floods, one tornado and one hurricane (Michael) here in Albany GA. The only one that damaged my home was the tornado, but even that was relatively light roof, electrical and tree damage. Oh, and snapped a chimney.

I didn’t have any trees left near my house when Michael hit. Friends and neighbors suffered heavy damage from Michael.

Love your attitude. It’s important in disasters. Best wishes from a ( nominal) enemy. Keep your spirits up and don’t kill any contractors, subs or inspectors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom