UConn-South Carolina postgame thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching SC play it reminded me of hockey. A lot of hockey teams hit the puck into the offensive zone, then their forwards chase the puck into the zone. Kind of like SC's outside shots and then their forward crash the boards for the rebound. Even the way SC guarded our players seemed like hockey with the amount of contact.

Another thing was how their offensive plays reminded me of the way Shaq played. He was always displacing the defensive player with his body. If the defensive player tried the same thing, it would be a foul. That doesn't sit right with me, but it is part of the professional game and now it's found its way to college. Just like I think a dunk should only count for 1 point. It may be "macho", but if you're tall enough to reach the basket it is an easy shot. The reason I watch women's basketball is for the beauty of the play and this game was hard to watch. I thought UConn did a great job considering that this isn't how they prefer to play but it was still exciting watching UConn play.
agree that bumping away the defender is routine in the pro game and even in the college men's game (e.g. Sanogo). So long as you don't extend your arm too much, you can body slam with no call. I think these refs watch too much men's college and NBA games, and are desensitized

Reaction Score
The trend in the women's game will continue to be more bigger, faster, physical players. I agree with others that it's not as beautiful and fun to watch. But, it's up to Geno to recruit these types of players. It still feels like the players at UConn including the upcoming classes are still finesse players. We need some bangers as well.
I hate that you're probably right on this.

Reaction Score
I don't actually think we can. Zero p[oints for our bench is pretty much the norm. Unless we are playing the dregs of the big east.
Except when Azzi and Caroline come back (assuming they do), we will have a bench that can score.

Reaction Score
DeBerry and Ines but only to commit fouls at the end. I truly understand the poster's concern. No one would have fouled out.
Patterson was constantly open at the key - this is DeBerry's happy spot for 3-pointers or 15 footers. Understand that we needed Patterson's muscle underneath, but at 6'2" she was overpowered much of the time. Would have liked to have seen what DeBerry could have contributed, particularly on offense.

Reaction Score
Felt like a true heavyweight battle.
Like we were watching the 2 best teams in the country.
Anytime they play at that level, either team might win. Looks like even chances.
But I like our players better.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Because we played a packed in zone for much of the game the blocking out of offensive players didn't work well. This is the bane of a zone.
Yes, finding and blocking out an opponent in a zone defense is more challenging, but can be stressed and coached to better execution than is usually practiced, even by very good teams. Not many teams/players box out well . . . sad fact.
The game was called terrible both ways. Just a bad ref job all the way
Surely you jest!

Reaction Score
Good analysis. The T was important also because it stopped the defender from holding Lou. She didn't dare do it again after the focus was on her. It was a deliberate pre-game strategy by this former coach of the National team to violate the rules and hold her at every opportunity. It's not basketball. The referees of course just went along with it. How that one ref missed the handoff right in front of him is beyond all comprehension.

I don't think Dorka will be in the national conversation. She did not play well today at all. Geno has often said that to win he needs all 5 starters to play solid games. I also think that the SC players push (Boston is the biggest offender) under the rim like it is going out of style. She starts out with a forearm to the shoulder area and uses it with her power. Of course, she never fouls or charges, she is the perfect player and gets every call. Sickening.
Boston is treated by the refs as a national treasure, to be protected at all costs.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever keep the game books? I'm curious how many fouls will be contributed to Cardoso. 5 or 6? I thought that technical fouls counted as a personal foul.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I know Staley has a lot of admirers, but I loath the style of play she and Mulkey and others are bringing to women's basketball, threatening to turn it into a sport I won't want to watch anymore. Connecticut has been a powerhouse for decades playing fundamentally sound defense without fouling constantly. Some years ago the NCAA made a point of emphasis calling fouls for restricting player movement. That is completely gone now. South Carolina fouls on virtually every defensive possession. That's not even counting how many they commit offensively, pushing, throwing elbows, and displacing defenders (the same foul Edwards got called for a few games ago, with some Oscar-level acting by the defender, Boston did multiple times today). Today's game frequently resembled a rugby scrum rather than an artistic basketball contest.

Totally beside my main point: the NCAA needs to change the rules to eliminate reviews on out of bounds touches. If they can't decide on who clearly touched a ball last, just call a jump ball and use the possession arrow.
Could not agree more. I stopped watching the NBA decades ago because it’s no longer basketball but indoor rugby. If the NCAA doesn’t address the issue of freedom of movement and start calling fouls when defenders grab offensive players, especially when they don’t possess the ball, I’ll stop watching the collegiate women. What was played today is not basketball.

Reaction Score
I'll join those on here surprised / disappointed UConn didn't go offense/defense in the closing minutes, especially with key players at 4 fouls. As each foul was 2 shots, sub the defender after the first shot.

For me, just like the National Championship game, this too was lost on the defensive boards. Juhasz leads with just 6, the shooting guard second with 5. Juhasz' hands, or lack thereof, were frustrating. Without singling out an indiviual player, coach alluded to it in the postgame press conference.

I thought Deberry acquitted herself well in her limited minutes in the championship game, especially stablizing the South Carolina offensive rebounds that took over that game. Would have liked to see her get some time on the floor here as well, especially as they were getting 2nd and 3rd attempts with every shot, including and-1's.

As for the technical - can't blame him at all. Surprised it took him that long. If it were me, I'd have been t'd up before halftime. :)

Reaction Score
I believe Cardoso had 6 fouls.
She did indeed. Never saw that before.
1675644842228.png

Reaction Score
Without sounding like a Pollyanna, this game just confirmed that UConn can win against SC. UConn, playing to its strengths, will win. SC is a dominate team and if allowed to use its muscle, will win. Great game for women's basketball fans to watch.
I viewed today's game as a well-played game for SC; OK for UConn. In the playoffs, if the two teams play again, I don't expect:
-Edwards to only get 4 rebounds. All American quality game by her today but pushed out of position so many times. Credit SC but doubt it would happen again.
-Geno will not get a technical at a key time. Gave SC 3-5 points that turned out to be critical.
-UConn will not get (2) 5 second calls and one step in (i.e. by Aubrey) turnovers.
-Nika will have more than 4 assists. UConn will move throughout next game.
-UConn will have another 3-point shooter the next time. If Azzi, forecast but she and Lou will have big games. SC does not have two defenders that can shut both down at same time. I will not comment on the beating Lou took. Suspect Geno will make sure one way or another her getting hammered shows up in fouls.
-Geno will not let UConn's big guards get caught under the basket helping out. UConn was beaten under the boards but killed on the long rebounds. UConn's guards need to release to go after long rebounds. 1-2 more rebounds could have been the difference.

This is a very different UConn than I have seen in several years. Virtually all of the players can go one on one and create their own shots if needed. Boston and the other SC bigs are excellent but I don't view their defense as strong enough to keep a hot shooting UC team from winning if/when Azzi and Caroline come back.

Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN got good position on the boards but they were so much taller they just went over our rebounder. Geno can't take out AE and put in a 6'2 player who can't score into the game. She played over a full quarter and other than fouls didn't get into the scorebook.

`The coaches should tell AP that

I wish Geno would tell AP that she has to drive hard to the hoop and put it up strong. If you get blocked - fine, if you get called for a charge - fine. if you miss the shot - fine, but no dribbling into the lane and hesitating.
There was one play when she got past her defender and started towards the basket, then she stopped and passed out of it- the SC defender was able to recover. I was yelling for her to keep attacking. Maybe next time.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Could not agree more. I stopped watching the NBA decades ago because it’s no longer basketball but indoor rugby. If the NCAA doesn’t address the issue of freedom of movement and start calling fouls when defenders grab offensive players, especially when they don’t possess the ball, I’ll stop watching the collegiate women. What was played today is not basketball.
L-o-o-n-g ago II stopped attending or watching men's pro basketball for the reasons enumerated above. Then gave up on men's college basketball for the same reason. That's after coaching boy's and then girl's hoops for close to 35 years, the last of them in the New England prepschool leagues (like Caronline's). Got tired of muscle and one-on-one hoops. Our Huskies play the skill game, still a beautiful team game!

Reaction Score
Aubrey says “Freeze!”, lol. I loved this play

unbelievable hesi. i thought she carried until I saw the replay. Aubrey is so talented. Totally outplayed Beal.

on a side note, don't they win if Dorka scores a bit more. I'm rewatching the game and Dorka is everywhere in this first quarter. I know she probably expects more of herself. I think that's a positive.

Reaction Score
Patterson was constantly open at the key - this is DeBerry's happy spot for 3-pointers or 15 footers. Understand that we needed Patterson's muscle underneath, but at 6'2" she was overpowered much of the time. Would have liked to have seen what DeBerry could have contributed, particularly on offense.
I think I finally found out ( a possible reason) why Patterson never shoots. She is legally blind in one eye. And this is a hereditary condition she has been battling for years. I first heard of this only today, but I have been asking ( this forum ) all season why she plays in
such a " limited" fashion, after having been a top HS recruit? No one ever mentioned her vision limitation, so I gather that many on this forum are also unaware of it.

I am told that being legally blind in one eye reduces "field vision" by about 30%. So perhaps she doesn't see the basket clearly enough to make shots? Or she doesn't have the confidence a fully sighted person would have?

We are not going to be informed, of course, if this condition is holding her back. But I am going to believe it is until I see her prove us wrong, by draining open shots . Has anyone seen her HS reel? Did she make outside shots or was most of her scoring from underneath?

I believe there was a game earlier in this season ( Big East, I think ) where she made two 8 footers, but I wasn't watching at the time. So I have never seen her take, or make, a shot. I have seen her make a lay-in or two, but she also often misses them.

In any case, basketball would seem a particularly daunting sport to play with limited field vision. So we must commend her for courage and wish her only the best. I, for one, will stop criticizing her play.

Reaction Score
Only one official missed the handoff - the official administering the inbound pass. The other two have other areas of responsibility to watch. If all three are watching the inbound pass, no one is paying attention to what is happening on the baseline, in the paint or at the 3pt line.

That being said, the inbounding official clearly missed it, and I guarantee he'll regret it when viewing the film. He and I worked high school games together back in the day. I had, and still have, great respect for his body of work. He's a class act, a stand-up guy, and will be haunted by it.
So let it be writen so let it be said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01