UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged] | The Boneyard

UCONN - SJU post-game thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First off, how great to see Geno back on the bench and Azzi back on the court. And welcome back Aaliyah! Much needed depth to the rotation.

1st Q was a bit ragged - nice start, then a run by SJU, then a decent finish, but the thing that threw me was i thought we ended the Q up 17-13, but at the start of Q2, the TV showed 17-11. No one explained (that i caught) why the loss of 2 points for SJU. Anyway, Q2 was really solid offensively. CD nailed it tho - she's so blunt I love it. "Not smart fouls by Aaliyah and Lou to pick up #3 for each of them". They should know better.

Got out to a nice start in Q3, but then went thru about a 6 minute bad stretch. It was very prolonged. Offense was just "ok", but the defense was unfocused and gave up 18 points. I supposed some may say it's understandable given the 21 point lead at halftime, but overall a poorly played defensive quarter with too little focus. But very solid Q4. So nice recovery and finish.

Cut way down on the TO's too this game. Not sure why such a big change - part of it was not going for the "home run" play. If a player was covered, etc. we did not "steamroll" into a bad play. Hopefully that continues. 9 total TO's

Way too much 1 on 1 play for SJU. They pass the ball around the perimeter a bit, but then when it comes time for a shot, it's all 1 on 1 play. Kind of surprising for a 13-1 team who has a win over Creighton. A very streaky team who had some nice runs but overall was no match for us.
  • Dorka - for most of the 1st half, I thought she was soft. Would get the ball and then couldn't seem to drive TO the basket. Smaller players were manhandling her. Then suddenly I look at the box score and she has 18 points, 10 boards, and 6 assists. Really strong 2nd half.
  • Aaliyah - continues her strong play. She has so much confidence - Meg said that several times. Making plays she wouldn't have last season. It's been a real treat seeing her improvement from sophomore to junior.
  • Nika played really well, yet again. A couple of great drives where no one stopped the ball. She seemed almost out of control, but somehow got to the basket. She won't win any "graceful" awards that's for sure, but what a stat line for her. 9 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 steals.
  • Lou - having Azzi back means you CANNOT slack off either of them. Lou is something like 3rd in the nation in 3-point shooting. What a treasure she has been this season. 8-9 shooting tonight. She couldn't miss it seemed. So much confidence for her. Her draft stock is continuing to rise as the season progresses.
  • Azzi - welcome back Ms. Braids! Picked up right where she left off. Had she played more minutes, she would have scored over 20.
  • Aubrey - first game I can remember this season where not only did she have almost no stats, but she was completely invisible on the floor. Didn't see her involved in much of anything. Disappointing game for her. She did play some nice defense I think on the kid who had 8 points in Q1, but she's much better than she showed.
Was disappointed at the lack of PT for Amari and Ines. It should be pointed out that the 2 games CD coached were total blowouts, and DePaul was postponed. But watching the team lose focus at times and let SJU go on a run made me ask "why not put in the other subs?". Ines is much improved, and Amari had 2 very nice assists in H1 when UCONN got into foul trouble.

Bottom line a very very nice win. WAY more good things than bad. But you know me - try to keep it real!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St John’s game:
  • Great effort by all of UConn's starters tonight, with Azzi a super-sub off the bench, and some nice PT from both Amari & Ines.
  • For tonight’s game, UConn progressed from The Magnificent Seven to Eight is Enough with the return of Azzi and Aaliyah. With Geno also returning to his familiar position on the sideline, the Huskies are slowly but surely returning to some semblance of normalcy.
  • Against an experienced SJ team loaded with transfers, this game looked like it might be a pretty good challenge for UConn. But the Huskies fought their way to a 21-point halftime lead, and the game was never really in doubt after that.
  • After Everett gave the Huskies some problems to start the game, UConn made the wise move to switch Aubrey onto her, and that seemed to slow Everett’s scoring considerably, as Aubrey dogged her all over the court. Everett had 8 pts in the 1st qtr, but only 2 for the rest of the game.
  • UConn really dug in hard to play tough team DEFENSE tonight, albeit with a few too many fouls.
  • While Azzi was a bit rusty, it was great to see her back on the court, aggressively hunting her shot again.
  • Trying to figure out if Geno is going with a new look or he's out of razor blades? ;)

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 7.48.52 PM.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Was disappointed at the lack of PT for Amari and Ines. It should be pointed out that the 2 games CD coached were total blowouts, and DePaul was postponed. But watching the team lose focus at times and let SJU go on a run made me ask "why not put in the other subs?". Ines is much improved, and Amari had 2 very nice assists in H1 when UCONN got into foul trouble.
Amari did some good things on offense in Q3 and did have a nice block but she wasn‘t moving her feet on defense. St John’s players could, and did, go right around her, hence the scoring spurt. Half the time, she stands sideways with one hand up, a tendency Meg Culmo pointed out. So, she got pulled.

To her credit, after CD spoke with Amari on the bench, when she came back in Amari was moving much better on d. But at this point in her development, which is steadily improving, Amari is a better offensive player than a defensive one. This isn’t unusual in young players and Amari is still just a sophomore. Everyone learns at ther own pace.

Reaction Score
First off, how great to see Geno back on the bench and Azzi back on the court. And welcome back Aaliyah! Much needed depth to the rotation.

1st Q was a bit ragged - nice start, then a run by SJU, then a decent finish, but the thing that threw me was i thought we ended the Q up 17-13, but at the start of Q2, the TV showed 17-11. No one explained (that i caught) why the loss of 2 points for SJU. Anyway, Q2 was really solid offensively. CD nailed it tho - she's so blunt I love it. "Not smart fouls by Aaliyah and Lou to pick up #3 for each of them". They should know better.

Got out to a nice start in Q3, but then went thru about a 6 minute bad stretch. It was very prolonged. Offense was just "ok", but the defense was unfocused and gave up 18 points. I supposed some may say it's understandable given the 21 point lead at halftime, but overall a poorly played defensive quarter with too little focus. But very solid Q4. So nice recovery and finish.

Cut way down on the TO's too this game. Not sure why such a big change - part of it was not going for the "home run" play. If a player was covered, etc. we did not "steamroll" into a bad play. Hopefully that continues. 9 total TO's

Way too much 1 on 1 play for SJU. They pass the ball around the perimeter a bit, but then when it comes time for a shot, it's all 1 on 1 play. Kind of surprising for a 13-1 team who has a win over Creighton. A very streaky team who had some nice runs but overall was no match for us.
  • Dorka - for most of the 1st half, I thought she was soft. Would get the ball and then couldn't seem to drive TO the basket. Smaller players were manhandling her. Then suddenly I look at the box score and she has 18 points, 10 boards, and 6 assists. Really strong 2nd half.
  • Aaliyah - continues her strong play. She has so much confidence - Meg said that several times. Making plays she wouldn't have last season. It's been a real treat seeing her improvement from sophomore to junior.
  • Nika played really well, yet again. A couple of great drives where no one stopped the ball. She seemed almost out of control, but somehow got to the basket. She won't win any "graceful" awards that's for sure, but what a stat line for her. 9 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 steals.
  • Lou - having Azzi back means you CANNOT slack off either of them. Lou is something like 3rd in the nation in 3-point shooting. What a treasure she has been this season. 8-9 shooting tonight. She couldn't miss it seemed. So much confidence for her. Her draft stock is continuing to rise as the season progresses.
  • Azzi - welcome back Ms. Braids! Picked up right where she left off. Had she played more minutes, she would have scored over 20.
  • Aubrey - first game I can remember this season where not only did she have almost no stats, but she was completely invisible on the floor. Didn't see her involved in much of anything. Disappointing game for her. She did play some nice defense I think on the kid who had 8 points in Q1, but she's much better than she showed.

Bottom line a very very nice win. WAY more good things than bad. But you know me - try to keep it real!
It was explained at the start of 2nd Q, that the St. John's basket was too late for a shot clock violation when reviewed by referees after end of 1st Q.

Reaction Score
It appeared having some time off to rest and recover (physically, but probably more importantly, mentally) was exactly what was needed. Of course, having Azzi back certainly helped. Lou had looked "tired" the previous two games. However, her sweet stroke was back and she looked smooth.

It was nice to see Nika read the defense and take it to the hole. A number of players were beneficiaries of back door passes from Dorka and Amari. The team as a whole is unselfish, and it is a joy to watch how they spread the ball around. Lastly, I marvel every time at Azzi's lightning quick release. More impressive than her release is how she positions her body to be ready to shoot as soon as she catches the ball.

If this team can stay healthy the remainder of the season, other than SC and Stanford, UConn should be favored against whoever they play, and I'm with the ESPN panel in calling for another Final Four appearance.

Reaction Score
I second the positive responses. Good smart game here against a decent team on the road. Some fine points beyond the super performances from Dorka, Edwards: Lou playing gutsy when it looked to me like she was gassed almost from the start (flu? cold? as a fellow sufferer looked to me like she couldn't breathe). EDIT: listening to her now in postgame, nasal for sure!

Despite some momentary lapses, superior minutes from DeBerry, very much needed; long term this might even be the single biggest takeaway from this game. In a sense, less is more. In her role here she was not expected to flash but to "hold serve" for those minutes, and she did. Height & skills speaking for themselves: let the game come to her rather than trying to do too much and doing more harm than good. In the future obviously we're going for some flash but here she had a role and filled it very well!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this team can stay healthy the remainder of the season, other than SC and Stanford, UConn should be favored against whoever they play, and I'm with the ESPN panel in calling for another Final Four appearance.
I'd go further. The way Dorka and Aaliyah and Azzi and Lou and Nika are playing, if Caroline can return to form and Ayanna can get her game a little better under control, I think we might become the favorite not just to get to the final four but even to win it all.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree on SC being favored. But I really believe that a healthy UConn has a significant advantage over Stanford in the backcourt.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

-Although you can't see much in the box, Aubrey was certainly not "completely invisible" on the floor...She shut down St J's #1 scorer which took the stuffing out of their team...very useful indeed.

-With two tough forwards and an outside scorer (mostly one of our 2 at a time) our gang is hard to defend.

-Plaudits to Amari...She came in, made some tough defensive plays and excellent passes...working her way in nicely.

- With all her fouls and long stretches on the bench, Lou certainly used her minutes to good advantage.What a bomber she is.

-Azzi is so comfy all over the court, scored a bunch on the inside...looks so confident. How can you guard the best 3-point shooter who can get inside so readily...And Lou is no slouch in this area either.

And finally great to see both Azzi and Aaliyah moving so well....I certainly didn't take that for granted...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
but the thing that threw me was i thought we ended the Q up 17-13, but at the start of Q2, the TV showed 17-11. No one explained (that i caught)
The announcers did explain. SJ player made a shot for 13 but upon review after the 1st Qtr. expired it was found the ball was still in her hands when time expired. So the score was reset to 11.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What was most impressive this game? UConn had 9 TO's. For the first time this year that had twice as many assists than TO's. Of course, IMO this was Amari's best game of the year. Her positioning was good, her passing was good, and she was a force against anyone driving inside. She did a lot of little things to help this team win. Of course, there were no injuries! Not one. Thank goodness, and let's keep that streak going through the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
IMHO CD uses the bench and time manages better than Geno.
As usual, great performances from Dorka, Aaliyah, Lou, and Nika. Need to find opportunities to take a little of the load off of Nika. Would like to have seen Ines earlier. Love Aubrey but she is wildly inconsistent game to game. Good comeback game for Azzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom