UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Molly injured the thumb a month ago, and the expected recovery was 4-6 weeks, she should be close. Hopefully, she'll be cleared when she visits the doc next week.

Reaction Score
Java - Jewel supposedly declared in Feb 2015 that she was returning for her senior year.
I have always thought that Morgan would be returning for her fifth year, but a lot can happen in twelve months and it is always possible she changes her mind. I sure hope she is back, but like to hedge my bet just a little.
I think a major difference is that Loyd gave up her senior year to go to the WNBA and some have argued to avoid a confrontation with Stewart for top draft pick (given MoJeff's performance Loyd could have dropped to three) where Tuck has indicated she'll stay to collect her Master's degree and will be able to do so on scholarship. Pretty smart move in my mind. I also think you won't be giving up millions to stay like some of the guys would face.

Reaction Score
I think a major difference is that Loyd gave up her senior year to go to the WNBA and some have argued to avoid a confrontation with Stewart for top draft pick (given MoJeff's performance Loyd could have dropped to three) where Tuck has indicated she'll stay to collect her Master's degree and will be able to do so on scholarship. Pretty smart move in my mind. I also think you won't be giving up millions to stay like some of the guys would face.

Like this!!!!
Tuck last year announced her desire to stay a 5th year--if she does or does not will happen near the end of April 16. But it is brilliant to opt for a PAID Masters degree when one has been having issues with their knees for 3 or more years. Having a fall back position (job) is super intelligent and kids her age rarely (not me) have that foresight.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield began her senior season by scoring 34 points in a Blackman win.

Less stellar news in that Molly Bent injured a thumb ligament playing soccer and is wearing a splint.

Here's Carl Adamec's piece on both players including new quotes on Dangerfield from Geno.

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/recruit-dangerfield-getting-up-to-speed/157765978

Thanks for the article:

"South Florida signee Jazz Bond added a double-double (14 points, 14 rebounds)
as the Lady Blaze made first-year coach Jessica Jackson's debut a success."

She is one of the new players USF will need to produce immediately next year, after Courtney and Jenkins graduate. I think we will have a "decent" team but it will take some time for the new pieces to gel. We certainly will have a bigger team.

As I mentioned earlier, it will be great watching Crystal and Jazz competing against each other for many years.

Reaction Score
Like this!!!!
Tuck last year announced her desire to stay a 5th year--if she does or does not will happen near the end of April 16. But it is brilliant to opt for a PAID Masters degree when one has been having issues with their knees for 3 or more years. Having a fall back position (job) is super intelligent and kids her age rarely (not me) have that foresight.
Morgan is a business major. As someone who worked a few years after undergrad school and then went back for an MBA, I was really glad I worked a few years first. Was much more able to relate the MBA coursework to the real world than if I would have gone straight through to graduate school. There is a saying about kids who go straight out of b-school to get their MBA's - "The only job they're qualified for is President of General Motors." Meaning they know a lot about 'business', but nothing at all about any particular business.

Anyway - what I think is neither here nor there. Plus it's hard to ignore the "free" aspect (my grad degree was "free" too - my employer had a great tuition reimbursement program). But remember Jewell indicated she was staying too - a week or two before she left. Morgan should do what's best for her when the time comes.

Reaction Score
Morgan is a business major. As someone who worked a few years after undergrad school and then went back for an MBA, I was really glad I worked a few years first. Was much more able to relate the MBA coursework to the real world than if I would have gone straight through to graduate school. There is a saying about kids who go straight out of b-school to get their MBA's - "The only job they're qualified for is President of General Motors." Meaning they know a lot about 'business', but nothing at all about any particular business.

Anyway - what I think is neither here nor there. Plus it's hard to ignore the "free" aspect (my grad degree was "free" too - my employer had a great tuition reimbursement program). But remember Jewell indicated she was staying too - a week or two before she left. Morgan should do what's best for her when the time comes.

I got a job right out of high school (almost) . It was US Military. I learned I was a better student than I believed. Mentally I matured--more confident. It worked for me. But everyone evolves at a different rate.
I too hope Morgan does what's right for her. But getting an MBA paid for by Geno in no size shape or form will hurt her. She will then have EDUCATION that will help her in employment if her WNBA/European BB career falls short. Smart woman this Tuck.

Reaction Score

Anyway - what I think is neither here nor there. Plus it's hard to ignore the "free" aspect (my grad degree was "free" too - my employer had a great tuition reimbursement program). But remember Jewell indicated she was staying too - a week or two before she left. Morgan should do what's best for her when the time comes.[/QUOTE

j66: Am a long-time fan of yours - and like what you say here... until you get to the next to last sentence. IMNSHO in such matters, my observations of Tuck and Lloyd suggest to me that they are cut from two very different pieces of cloth. And, from what I've seen and read on the parental end, they were raised in two very different atmospheres. My 25 cents says that Tuck will do what she says and stay. Follow my drift at all? Happy Thanksgiving

Reaction Score
j66: Am a long-time fan of yours - and like what you say here... until you get to the next to last sentence. IMNSHO in such matters, my observations of Tuck and Lloyd suggest to me that they are cut from two very different pieces of cloth. And, from what I've seen and read on the parental end, they were raised in two very different atmospheres. My 25 cents says that Tuck will do what she says and stay. Follow my drift at all? Happy Thanksgiving
I also suspect MT is much more likely to follow through than Loyd was. But I read a quote over the summer where she hedged ("Right now my plan is to...." type response) when asked about it (smart!). I just don't think we should count on it. Stuff happens and things change. Was just using Loyd as an example - maybe not the best comparison.

Reaction Score
Not much said about Chong, but she is arguably one of the team's most important assets. Coming off the bench to spell Kia and Mo, bringing speed and energy, dropping in the occasional three, and driving to the basket, are a few of her contributions.
Emphasis on "arguably".

Reaction Score
Emphasis on "arguably".

You're referencing an ancient quotation. Chong is just now coming off a chronic and painful leg injury. If you're suggesting that she's been a disappointment as a shooter and as a defender, you can make that case. My earlier comment referred to the fact that UConn isn't deep in experienced guards. Last year Saniya was always the first off the bench to give Mo and Kia a break. With Chong's injury limitations, Geno has opted to use Lou as the guard sub (she was first off the bench in the OSU and KSU games). By using Lou, Coach has satisfied a couple of requirements: having a healthy sub for the guards and giving KLS as much playing time as possible. I wish Saniya well.

Reaction Score
You're referencing an ancient quotation. Chong is just now coming off a chronic and painful leg injury. If you're suggesting that she's been a disappointment as a shooter and as a defender, you can make that case. My earlier comment referred to the fact that UConn isn't deep in experienced guards. Last year Saniya was always the first off the bench to give Mo and Kia a break. With Chong's injury limitations, Geno has opted to use Lou as the guard sub (she was first off the bench in the OSU and KSU games). By using Lou, Coach has satisfied a couple of requirements: having a healthy sub for the guards and giving KLS as much playing time as possible. I wish Saniya well.
So do I. She played pretty well today and showed a lot of confidence.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield scored 31 points on Tuesday (12/1) in leading Blackman back from a 4th quarter deficit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star and Prospects Nation report on Crystal Dangerfield's recent performance in a losing effort:

While Blackman (Tennessee) may have stumbled Sunday afternoon, Crystal Dangerfield did all she could to keep the Blaze in contention until the final buzzer. Playing with a target on her back the dynamic UConn signee responds again and again with plays that are going to translate well to the next level. The roster at Blackman is a considerably thinner this year so more of the load will have to be on her shoulders but the 5-5 point guard is up to the task. Over the years we’ve seen her accept and excel in almost any role. The ability is there to score it herself or improve and create the options of those players around her. Dangerfield has evolved to the point of controlling entire defenses and with her attack and exploiting both off the dribble and the pass. Defensively she’s got the speed and quickness to contain virtually any ballhandler and a quick vertical that allows her to tip more than her share of wishful passes by the opposition.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/blogmain/marksblog/item/1455-tennessee-turkey-jamm

Dangerfield brought home a gold medal with USA Basketball this July as a member of the 19-and-under national team. Currently ranked as the No. 4 prospect nationally, she has already signed with Connecticut. After another stellar showing on her school’s home floor against East Central (OK), Dangerfield has firmly entrenched herself amongst the nation’s elite in our eyes. A five-star floor general, UConn fans can expect similar production to Moriah Jefferson in the early stages of her career in Storrs.

http://prospectsnation.com/story/mcdonalds-watch-turkey-jamm-2015

Reaction Score
While looking to see how Tabor Academy's season has started for Molly, I found a couple stories from the beginning of November about how she has helped spearhead a Special Olympics Young Athletes program at the school. It just shows how the UConn program is a group of great young women who happen to be very good basketball players. Geno is doing it the right way. I figured others would enjoy it as well.

In her own words
https://taboracademy.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/tabor-hosts-special-olympics-young-athletes-program/

News Story
http://www.wanderer.com/schools/special-olympics-at-tabor-academy/

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kyla Irwin had 12 points and 11 rebounds in a 36-34 win for State College (12/6).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield had 19 points in a close Blackman victory Tuesday (12/8).

Dangerfield wasn’t at her best offensively, but led all scorers with 19 points and six rebounds.

“Crystal didn’t even have a great night,” Jackson said. “That surprised me. I don’t ever want her to have a bad night offensively, but her defense was irreplaceable. And it showed the rest of the team that Crystal doesn’t have to have 35 for us to win a ballgame.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2015/12/08/blackman-still-best-aaa-showdown/77016498/

Reaction Score
I made the short trip to check out the Tabor Academy-Noble&Greenough School game today at Nobles. Nobles beat Tabor 56-48 in front of a very big collection of college coaches in attendance led by Dawn Staley in the front row. Molly Bent by my count had 11 points (on 3-5 shooting from the floor, 5-6 from the line), 7 assists, 6 rebounds, and 6 steals. Tabor was very successful in transition with the ball in Molly and Araion Bradshaw's hands but in the set offense they were going to others and didn't get much going. It was a very fun and highly competitive game to watch and shows the high level of basketball being played up here in the northeast. I'm hopeful some others will be able to check out the team when they go to play in CT.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Andra Espinoza-Hunter was in a tournament in DC last weekend and Mark Lewis wrote a bit about her. Here is an excerpt: "The 2017 guard has long been regarded as one of the class’s top shooters but is demonstrating a more diverse game along with some new depth to creating her own options. She is much more active and aggressive without the ball and knows what she’s looking for off screens and simple cuts to the rim and ball."

The rest of the paragraph about her and some analysis of other competitors is here: LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom