UConn - Seton Hall post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Seton Hall post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ugly? Sure, but when is a NCAA Women’s basketball game judged by prettiness?

Seton Hall games are usually low scoring. This one was. It’s the way they play. The outcome never seemed to be in jeopardy, and that’s with Paige held to just a few points in the first half.

UConn won and I made a wonderful batch of hot and sour soup for supper. I’m happy.

Reaction Score
Lots of good posts here. My view of last two games is that there were way too many sloppy plays, passes and fouls. It’s not the total team fouls but when they occur. Lots of repeated fouls by players within minutes of each other. Paige, KK , Nicky, Ice all seem to be sloppy handling the ball.
KK shoot a pull up jumper! Ice move your feet on offense! I fear SC will feast on this loose play. It’s a shame Innes gets so few minutes. but rides the pine.
Hopefully they rest and tighten their game up for SC.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You want to see ugly....go watch the Georgetown vs Marquette game. Second quarter and both teams haven't reached double digits!

After Q1, Georgetown led Marquette by 7-4. G’town scored only 7 in Q2 as well.

G’town shot 25%; MU was a scintillating 34% (0-9 from the arc). Eek!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It was a win...and Geno did get #1200 putting him at number three within striking distance of the two HF coaches ahead of him. However, I was hoping that this game would be instrumental in UConn's preparation for South Carolina. To some degree it was helpful...I mean Ashlynn did have a career number of three-point shots...we will need a few of them on Sunday. Aaliyah was able to put together two back-to-back monster games...a very good sign. Paige may have had an off-game offensively but her play in the second half was inspirational. Her three steals, two blocks, five assists, and four rebounds to go along with her incredible defense were instrumental in holding Seton Hall to 22 percent from the floor and only 8.7 percent from three. Nika hit her average in points but her 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block were also instrumental in making this game one of UConn's defensive masterpieces. Beating a team by 33 points isn't chopped liver... And, let's not forget no one fouled out. We can't afford to lose players to fouls going forward...we simply do not have a deep enough bench to be able to absorb the loss of one of our starters.

I am optimistic for this weekend...we caught a break with Kamilla Cardoso being with her national team...but SC is very deep, they have size and talent. It will not be easy in Columbia...let's hope the basketball gods are kind to us this weekend.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think this team is running on all 8 cylinders. Paige shoots 13 times in a game that is close until the 4 quarter, Nika and KK seem to always be in foul trouble, and other than Edwards no one seems to be real consistent. I do realize we have lots of people injuries and that is never good, but it is not easy to watch, sometimes.
The game was not close after the first quarter. The Huskies led by 12 at the end of Q1 and didn’t drop below that number in Q2. The lead was 17 at halftime. In Q3, the scoring drought let the lead drop to 12 briefly but then it up to 23 points at the end of Q3. In Q4, the lead was never below 25 points.

Geno has only said a zillion times that basketball is a game of runs. As long as UConn keeps playing teams with a pulse, there’s always a risk they’ll go on a run. It’s a given but what isn’t is how the Huskies will react. They overcame a team mini-shooting slump and inconsistent reffing to rout Seton Hall by 33 points. The team is young and the freshmen had to learn how to overcome obstacles and they just passed another test. It’s all good.

Im happy for Q hitting her shots, too. She was pretty handy on the boards late in the game vs the Seton Hall starters. Nice job, Q

Reaction Score
This game was hard to watch at times. We gathered together with more balanced scoring and improved bench activity in the second half. Ten turnovers are a magic number. Even the five minutes of the bench in the fourth quarter never missed a beat.
Hoping Ice and KK gain more confidence around the hoop rather than playing with their mind made up as to what to do. Ice had the ball in great low position many times and could have put up an easy lay-up but quickly passed to the corners. This sort of worked but why not make a good move and attempt to score inside. Getting the ball to her was the hard part, just fake or turn and finish. Edwards has great footwork down low and makes this look easy and often goes to the foul line to boot.
Congratulations to Geno. His side-kick and staff have grown the Husky brand in ways that are amazing. THANKS!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geez, it was a 33 point win, people. It doesn’t have to be a Rembrandt, I’m good with a Picasso
Exactly. All that was wrong ladt night was a cold shooting half. Good looks were missed. That’s hoops. So we won ny 33 instead of 50. That game tells us zero about how we will play against SC where we will be underdogs anyway and totally unlikely SC shoots as lousy as Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Happy to see Shade nailing her 3’s. Now if she can get back her money shot.
The difference was she was actually getting the ball, which had been lacking the past few games. She needs to be a big part of the offense and shoot 15-20 shots per game, including driving hard to the basket (cuz she makes her foul shots). She should defer to no one on the team. It did appear many plays were designed specifically for her last night.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The difference was she was actually getting the ball, which had been lacking the past few games. She needs to be a big part of the offense and shoot 15-20 shots per game, including driving hard to the basket (cuz she makes her foul shots). She should defer to no one on the team. It did appear many plays were designed specifically for her last night.
She was moving more, cutting and using screens. Ash had stopped doing so for a couple games. Freshmen :)

Reaction Score
She was moving more, cutting and using screens. Ash had stopped doing so for a couple games. Freshmen :)
Not sure if she can "move any more" than she always does. There have been numerous occasions where she cuts hard to the basket, is wide open, and no one either sees her, or gets her the ball on time. She is usually the first one down the court, alone in the corner, waving her hand for the ball. I really didn't see her "stopping doing it for a couple of games", just not getting the ball enough. I have to go back and watch some replays; maybe it's just my Shade bias.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to come out sharp when you know your D game will blow out the opponent. They win by over 30 and instead of talking about the suffocating defense the focus in on the poor shooting performance by the offense.

My concerns for the team aren't centered around this game but how the team is managed in general this season. The 4 guard line up is putting to much extra on Paige on the defense and she is showing signs of fatigue heading down the stretch. I would much rather see KK on the bench and Ice in the game just to keep the other team from beating Paige to a pulp. It also might help with their rotations.

This team will not lose in the Big East and will be at least a top 4 seed in the tournament in the end. They will most likely be put out in the second weekend unless they get lucky on the match ups but being in the final 8-16 teams isn't horrible considering the challenges they have this year.

Reaction Score
Not sure if she can "move any more" than she always does. There have been numerous occasions where she cuts hard to the basket, is wide open, and no one either sees her, or gets her the ball on time. She is usually the first one down the court, alone in the corner, waving her hand for the ball. I really didn't see her "stopping doing it for a couple of games", just not getting the ball enough. I have to go back and watch some replays; maybe it's just my Shade bias.
I'd agree, topogigio. Watching from courtside in recent games, it reminded me of numerous games during Caroline's freshman season and even last season when she was still considered an offensive threat that she was pretty much ignored by those with the ball.

Ashlynn will likely get plenty of defensive attention from SC on Sunday and those Huskies with the ball need to be ready to get her the ball when possible. UConn will need the points she so well delivers.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I'd agree, topogigio. Watching from courtside in recent games, it reminded me of numerous games during Caroline's freshman season and even last season when she was still considered an offensive threat that she was pretty much ignored by those with the ball.

Ashlynn will likely get plenty of defensive attention from SC on Sunday and those Huskies with the ball need to be ready to get her the ball when possible. UConn will need the points she so well delivers.
@The deacon, I'm gonna second your agreement with @topogigio. Shade has overplayed a "few" well-placed screens by Edwards at the top of the key, but Shade never stops moving and has been open more than enough to potentially add a good 10 points to our game totals if our very good assist leaders will just get her the ball! If we ignore all her hard work getting open AND her wonderful scoring ability this Sunday, we're in for a long day at the office.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Messy transcription of CD post game:

1200 wins .

All five injured on bench –

CD: there’s a lot of points sitting there Everyone’s doing well. Good when they’re around – part of the team. Being separate, doing solo rehab is really hard. Keeping connected to the team - doing good job of doing that…
I'm gonna nit-pick again, but when someone exited to the bench and the camera followed the player along the bench, I did not see Caroline.
Did I miss seeing her????

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm gonna nit-pick again, but when someone exited to the bench and the camera followed the player along the bench, I did not see Caroline.
Did I miss seeing her????
I attended the game in person, and I never saw Caroline on the bench. The other four "walking wounded" were present.

I could speculate that it might have something to do with the bus ride from campus to downtown Hartford, since she was on the bench for the previous two games at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Seriously? I can't believe that is true looking at the box score after 3 quarters.
It is not the box score that dictates the flow of the game, or the movement of a team at either end of the court. At times they looked great, but compare them to other ranked teams and they look much less impressive. Maybe I expect more from a team with 2 All-Americans on the floor. It is just my opinion, so don't take it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom