UConn - Seton Hall post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Seton Hall post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know where to find the actual stats, but while watching the game, it seemed to me that the refs called as many fouls in the second quarter as the other quarters combined. I mean didn't SH reach bonus territory before 3 minutes had elapsed??? And then they reviewed the stats at halftime and returned to calling some and not calling some.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Messy transcription of CD post game:

1200 wins .
Thank you. Doesn’t feel..we’re not big celebrators of stuffl like rthat. Big number… Kids made a sign “I’m Number Three” At some point you’ll look back and go wow. Not tonight. Another game coming up. I know the’re s not going to be1200 more (laughs)

It was ugly. SH makes you play that way. Open looks, just didn’t make’em. When we did, we went on a run. Up 17 didn’t feel like a strong lead. They run stuff like SJ - run stuff to end of clock, control tempo.

Stop fouling. We can’t do that. That’s just dumb. Play the way the game is being officiatied and be smarter.

On the run: Paige big factor. Good defense.

Also – how we’re getting shots. I thought AE was great on the backboard. We've been better on offensive rebounds last two games. Geno challenged our guys. More going to the glass. We’ll need it next geame.

AE Is playing real well. Making good decisions under double/triple – score before it comes, or kick it out.

Debbie: Four shirts around her – doesn’t faze her. Out runs people down floor.

CD: Have to take advantage of that – down court. Avoid half court offence.

Defense on SH?

Bains (got 4pts ) Grey (got 2pt) We concentrated on them. (They had 11 threes/banked in last game) The threes made this game NOT from usual group.

Finsihed the game on a good note - last group good on both ends.

Re: SC They're a really good team (outside shooters/offense). Go in have a game play, hopefully execute and give us a chance to win.

Rotation is 7 (Last time it happened – Debbie's time) Odd mix. No one to fill gap with some experience. Nothing we can do to change that. Fresh have played a lot of minutes. Hopefully at this point of season they’re past freshmen.

All five injured on bench –

CD: there’s a lot of points sitting there Everyone’s doing well. Good when they’re around – part of the team. Being separate, doing solo rehab is really hard. Keeping connected to the team - doing good job of doing that…

Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of watching this game is how much better we will need to play in every aspect of the game on Sunday to even have a chance against SC in Columbia.

I can't decide whether I hope the game is called close or not. If the refs let them play, Paige will be mauled, but if it called close, half our team will foul out.

I guess I am not feeling good about chances based on the past few games.
I am.

We’re in the middle of conference season playing with a short bench. So it was a meh game

But we exceeded the Massey spread and even the bettors spread.

Let’ see what SC looks like on Sunday…

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Messy transcription of CD post game:

1200 wins .
Thank you. Doesn’t feel..we’re not big celebrators of stuffl like rthat. Big number… Kids made a sign “I’m Number Three” At some point you’ll look back and go wow. Not tonight. Another game coming up. I know the’re s not going to be1200 more (laughs)

It was ugly. SH makes you play that way. Open looks, just didn’t make’em. When we did, we went on a run. Up 17 didn’t feel like a strong lead. They run stuff like SJ - run stuff to end of clock, control tempo.

Stop fouling. We can’t do that. That’s just dumb. Play the way the game is being officiatied and be smarter.

On the run: Paige big factor. Good defense.

Also – how we’re getting shots. I thought AE was great on the backboard. We've been better on offensive rebounds last two games. Geno challenged our guys. More going to the glass. We’ll need it next geame.

AE Is playing real well. Making good decisions under double/triple – score before it comes, or kick it out.

Debbie: Four shirts around her – doesn’t faze her. Out runs people down floor.

CD: Have to take advantage of that – down court. Avoid half court offence.

Defense on SH?

Bains (got 4pts ) Grey (got 2pt) We concentrated on them. (They had 11 threes/banked in last game) The threes made this game NOT from usual group.

Finsihed the game on a good note - last group good on both ends.

Re: SC They're a really good team (outside shooters/offense). Go in have a game play, hopefully execute and give us a chance to win.

Rotation is 7 (Last time it happened – Debbie's time) Odd mix. No one to fill gap with some experience. Nothing we can do to change that. Fresh have played a lot of minutes. Hopefully at this point of season they’re past freshmen.

All five injured on bench –

CD: there’s a lot of points sitting there Everyone’s doing well. Good when they’re around – part of the team. Being separate, doing solo rehab is really hard. Keeping connected to the team - doing good job of doing that…
Thank you for these transcriptions

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
143C25BA-743A-413A-BE9B-4299473BABF4.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan but I was thinking of the "by quarter" player stats. (I'm sure I am clear as mud :).)
The play by play is separated into quarters but you have to do the work to get the data you want

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • If you’re going to come out laying bricks on offense in the 1st half as UConn did, shooting just 33% from the field, it certainly helps to hold your opponent to only 9% shooting and just 12 pts. :cool:
  • Aaliyah was an absolute force in the paint, once again. With so many missed shots, I was surprised she only collected 15 rebounds.
  • Fortunately, Ashlynn kept firing away until she got hot from the arc, which is exactly what you want a shooter to do.
  • Nice to see Paige shake off whatever it was that afflicted her in the 1st half and start playing like Paige Bueckers in the 3rd qtr.
  • The Huskies are working really hard at both ends of the court. The starters are all getting a lot of minutes, and the cavalry isn’t coming. The rest of the season is going to be all about TOUGHING IT OUT for this UConn team.
  • I thought it was interesting that Amari got some PT with the starters. With SC up next, who knows?
  • Not sure what to expect on Sunday, but I’m too invested in UConn WBB not to hope for a small miracle? ;)
“The rest of the season is going to be all about TOUGHING IT OUT for this UConn team.”

And for every other team as well…

Reaction Score
Gimme a U, gimme a G,,,,you get the rest but put one in the win column. Maybe good to get this out of our system going into Sunday?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know where to find the actual stats, but while watching the game, it seemed to me that the refs called as many fouls in the second quarter as the other quarters combined. I mean didn't SH reach bonus territory before 3 minutes had elapsed??? And then they reviewed the stats at halftime and returned to calling some and not calling some.
49C987A5-76C9-4AB1-82D7-47F0AB746C76.jpeg

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think this team is running on all 8 cylinders. Paige shoots 13 times in a game that is close until the 4 quarter, Nika and KK seem to always be in foul trouble, and other than Edwards no one seems to be real consistent. I do realize we have lots of people injuries and that is never good, but it is not easy to watch, sometimes.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think this team is running on all 8 cylinders. Paige shoots 13 times in a game that is close until the 4 quarter, Nika and KK seem to always be in foul trouble, and other than Edwards no one seems to be real consistent. I do realize we have lots of people injuries and that is never good, but it is not easy to watch, sometimes.

Seriously? I can't believe that is true looking at the box score after 3 quarters.

Reaction Score
We won handily against a so so team dispite having a bad offensive first half. That's the good news. The bad news is against good teams a halfs worth of bad shooting will be a killer. Nights when shots don't fall happen in basketball. Not a huge deal but it can't become a trend. I had really hoped we'd be up 30 at the half so the starters could get a nice rest before the SC game and Q, Ice, Amari and Ines could get more court time. Not to be.

Who is the Jonathan puppet lady? A Boneyarder? If not, why not?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am surprised that so many of you are embracing the "ugly game" or "ugly win" narrative about this game. The only ugly thing about this game (from UConn's standpoint) was the shooting percentage (overall and on 3's). It's an example of basketball's oldest fallacy -- that shooting well = playing well, and the corollary that shooting poorly = playing poorly. It ain't true, and Geno takes every opportunity to point that out.

Among the non-ugly aspects of the game for UConn were the low turnovers (just 10 for the game), the 20 assists on 27 made field goals, and the 30 points in the paint (considering that Seton Hall only scored 34 points overall, and only 10 in the paint). Also, the 45 rebounds including 14 offensive rebounds aren't too shabby either. Nor were the 18 fast-break points (compared to 2 for Seton Hall).

So the "ugliness" comes down to shots not falling. For the most part, the shots weren't bad ones -- they just didn't go in. You have to count on the law of averages to fix that over the course of a game, as it eventually did -- UConn shot 16-for-30 (53%) in the second half.

Some of you mentioned fouls, and KK in particular was conforming to the "dumb freshman" stereotype in that respect. But even so, 15 total fouls for the game is not an unusually high number, and no one other than KK had more than 3 fouls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom