UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CL82 and I watched the game from mid-court last night. First of all, Paige. 32 points on 17 shots is just ridiculously efficient. She was cold to start the second half also, missing her first 3 if I remember correctly. I would simply point out that Caitlin has taken no less than 18 shots in any game this year. Honestly, Paige easily could have had 40 last night. It's not just Paige's offense, it's her ball handling, passing, rebounding, intelligence and defense. I would urge everyone to see her play live, as close as you can get. It's really like watching an art form with her.

Seton Hall is a tough team to play at home. They are very physical, strong, helter skelter at times, and have a top tier BE player in Baines. In the second quarter we turned up the defense and shut down their open 3s and drives and suddenly we were up by 15 plus. Game was almost over although they cut it to 9 at one point but Paige took over the game again and that was that.

We were above the UCONN bench and you could see how "animated" Geno was about the defensive lapses and not getting through picks. Not happy at all. When Paige went down we were all horrified but when she came back in you would have thought that they were playing in Storrs.

It was an ugly game for the most part except for Paige with Ash having an off night and our passing reminiscent of the early part of this season in the beginning of this game especially. It was more about forcing and timing on the passes. 18 turnovers is just too much but it was that kind of a game.

Some promising items though. First of all KK hitting her 3s bodes very well for us. Q is still lost on defense but was energetic and in the middle of things and that move on the fast break was sensational. She is very, very talented and she is going to be one hack of a player once she gets the defense down pat and gets more comfortable.

Ice was off also on her timing to a certain extent but her whole trajectory was never going to be a straight line up since it rarely is. She hasn't played in year and is a freshman we have to remember.

Aaliyah was getting pounded underneath, players pushing, falling, hacking but a lot went uncalled. Still 17 and 9 are AA type numbers and she did not have a great game. Clearly the best big in the league and is out of position as a 5 but that is what we got.

Nika is fun too watch and showed me things in warm ups I only saw fleetingly before. A one dribble pull up with a real jumper from 15 feet made me say to myself "Shoot that during the game as often as you can". She is a beautifully unselfish player, but at times it becomes a fault. Honestly, I would like to see her take 10 shots a game between her drives, pull up and 3 ball but it won't happen. Her drive move and shot are significantly improved over previous years. She is just a defensive force out there and did a great job on Baines when she switched over to covering her. She is all about the team and it shows in everything she does. Make no mistake. Paige is the heart and soul of the team but Nika is the Voice.

Please see them play live. They are a pure pleasure when they get it going. That was tough to do against the Pirates at Walsh but the fact that they eventually did says a lot and it was the defense that did it with a lot of the best all around player in the country mixed in. 32 points seemed like 18-20 tops. If I didn't see it on the scoreboard I wouldn't have believed it. The sign of a truly great player who knows who she is and is so generous with her persona with everyone ( including my family) and especially all those young girls who rightfully idolize her.

PvP

Reaction Score

Has anyone seen a video of Geno's postgame presser? I looked on YouTube but found only the post game SNY interview. If anyone could supply a link it would be appreciated....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Poor Aaliyah! Gets battered every game, and does no battering of her own.
Unfortunately, Aaliyah can’t afford to respond in kind and get herself into foul trouble. The play where the SH player hurt herself was a dirty play, akin to a wrestling takedown. I feel bad that the SH player was injured, but she absolutely brought it on herself.

Reaction Score
This game reminds me of games against Rutgers and UCF. Bump, hip check, grab, whatever to impede offensive movement. This throws off offensive timing and this in turn leads to turnovers.

Lou got subjected to this a lot last season. Ashlyn got to experience it first hand last night.

Reaction Score
Poor Aaliyah! Gets battered every game, and does no battering of her own.
Okay, now I need to inject a tiny dose of reality. Aaliyah is more sinned against than sinning. I totally agree.

But she's a rough customer in the low post and many opponents have gotten a little bruised up against her. I'm not finding fault here -- she plays like a really strong post player, and I'm all for it. The fact is she gives as good as she gets in most games.

I like Aaliyah just as she is. Her game is exactly what it should be.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe all the nitpicking criticism here. This team is demolishing the Big East.
sarcastic willy wonka GIF

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why would the starters play so many minutes in a game you win by over 20 points? AE plays a lot of minutes and takes a lot of physical play and she is the key to this team. I realize they are thin at the post position but they must keep an eye on the minutes when you are playing every couple days and especially when you are traveling to play.

The interesting thing about Paige is she can do what ever she needs to for a win. I really think if UConn wanted her to score 30-35 a night she could do it and do it without shooting 30 times. She is so efficient at all aspects of her game and when the draft comes I wouldn't be surprised if she was the first pick.
it was a 9 point game with 8 minutes remaining in Q4.

Reaction Score
Sad to say but a game like this clearly illustrates how much UConn misses Aubrey's defending, rebounding and slashing abilities..........I simply don't see this team having great success against bigger and more athletic teams when they get to the big tournament.........that said, I'd be very happy to have them prove me wrong.......

sun

Reaction Score
It's important to see Paige take over the game like she did in so many ways.
It just reinforces how she's still an All-American.
The team really needed her leadership & she stepped up.

Reaction Score
That was the player that got tangled up with Aaliyah, who fell on the SHU player’s awkwardly bent leg. I hope there is no serious injury
Who else gets three sets of high lights every game almost immediately after the game? Here is one:

my favorite play of the night was when Nika crossed the SH player over and drove in for the and one! That play says it all about how she has improved and developed her game and has become, I believe, a complete player/PG. Earlier in her career other teams could slough off her defensively and double other players with impunity. Those days are over;) and I believe she now has a future in the W. I’m looking forward to see even more improvement by tournament time! As Geno said recently, she has had to adjust to no longer having the ball in her hands all the time. I think it’s fair to say “Mission Accomplished”! Finally, one of the things I find most endearing about her is the special relationship she has built with Paige! It was quite touching to see the obvious concern she showed for Paige after her scary collision last night.

Reaction Score
Sad to say but a game like this clearly illustrates how much UConn misses Aubrey's defending, rebounding and slashing abilities..........I simply don't see this team having great success against bigger and more athletic teams when they get to the big tournament.........that said, I'd be very happy to have them prove me wrong.......
Yeah, I’m guessing the “Let’s develop Q“ train is now in overdrive! I bet she ( and Ice) are getting lots and lots of special attention during practice! IMO, those two are a big key to our “end of year“ preparation! I’m sure Geno & co are working overtime to get them as far along as possible before the tournament.

Reaction Score
In regards to the SH player that got hurt. It clearly looked like an Achilles injury. I really hope it isn’t, but it was non-contact. When she shot the ball, she didn’t come down a tweek it. I don’t know what else it could be.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
  • I liked just about everything Q did in her time on the court tonight.
Yes. It's great seeing her do other things beside shoot from long. She made a good defensive play under the basket by doubling the player and having her body (with arms way up) knock the ball away, to be retrieved by UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes. It's great seeing her do other things beside shoot from long. She made a good defensive play under the basket by doubling the player and having her body (with arms way up) knock the ball away, to be retrieved by UConn.
I agree about Q. I hope she can put on about 20 pounds of muscle in the next two months. She seems a teenager , still growing into her lengthening body, rather than a fully formed athlete. I worry that she will get smoked.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Aaliyah can’t afford to respond in kind and get herself into foul trouble. The play where the SH player hurt herself was a dirty play, akin to a wrestling takedown. I feel bad that the SH player was injured, but she absolutely brought it on herself.
Sorry, but I saw it completely differently. I really didn't see, in all the replays, either one of them to have been at fault. They got tangled up, as bigs often do, and Aaliyah finally fell over her,causing the damage. When arms get tangled, whose at fault?

Reaction Score
Okay, now I need to inject a tiny dose of reality. Aaliyah is more sinned against than sinning. I totally agree.

But she's a rough customer in the low post and many opponents have gotten a little bruised up against her. I'm not finding fault here -- she plays like a really strong post player, and I'm all for it. The fact is she gives as good as she gets in most games.

I like Aaliyah just as she is. Her game is exactly what it should be.
You didn't get my drift. Of course she does a lot of battering. Why not? Seems here that people here just don't see how much damage she doles out. Poor Aaliyah? Not really.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m guessing the “Let’s develop Q“ train is now in overdrive! I bet she ( and Ice) are getting lots and lots of special attention during practice! IMO, those two are a big key to our “end of year“ preparation! I’m sure Geno & co are working overtime to get them as far along as possible before the tournament.
no doubt but neither can do what Aubrey did for this team...........that said did anybody see Paige make that steal late in the game and lay it in effortlessly starting from behind the half-court line with just one dribble?

Reaction Score
One notable concern was toward the end of the game when Nika had an open 3 and halfway into her shot she changed her mind and tried a pass to Paige who had already broken in for a potential rebound. Pass went out of bounds and alas, another turnover. Nika was 0 for 3 from 3 and evidently this had gotten into her head and caused the hesitation. This shows she still is lacking confidence here in spite of having some great games recently shooting from 3. Hopefully Geno will perform his magic and get her back on board - we will need this more as the competition gets tougher.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It’s also possible that Villanova is the best of the rest. They beat Marquette last night and Olson is playing like an all American. Four teams in the dance would add even more credibility to the league and help UConn’s seeding.
If you check the box score you will see Olsen went off for like 37 points. She averages 23. When we play them, it will be Nika time.

It seems Marquette were overrated, just like their men's team.

Reaction Score
We were at the game. After about 6 minutes I said to my wife this is an Aubrey kind of game. They would have no answer for her. Plus she always plays well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom