UConn Secret Scrimmage | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Secret Scrimmage

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If this little stint of Clingan resting his foot helps Samson get his confidence up, it may end up being one of those fluky little things that end up leading to a great season.

Reaction Score
If this little stint of Clingan resting his foot helps Samson get his confidence up, it may end up being one of those fluky little things that end up leading to a great season.

Like Johnson getting hurt on opening day last year, giving Karaban much more playing time off the bat and having him fully integrated and functioning by the time the post-season came along?

To win championships, luck matters.

Reaction Score
Just got some info from my buddy. Castle led the way in scoring with 19, with Samson not behind with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Spencer's shot was crisp, going 3/4 from 3 and finished with 10 points. Newton was a bit quiet with only 4 points but had 11 assists.

Other mini observations:

-Don't sleep on Solo Ball. Had some explosive dunks and lockdown defense. Ajax 2.0?
-Hassan Diarra went 2/3 3PT in the game...
-Karaban was a bit quiet as well but did make some impact plays on defense and looks more free.
-Youssouf Singare is not as raw as you think. YS got two putback dunks and 4 rebounds in the span of a couple minutes. If we need him, he could hold his own against BE bigs.
-Apostolos Roumoglou scored 7 points. Could he actually log minutes this year?
This is completely made up.

Reaction Score
Johnson getting hurt on opening day last year, giving Karaban much more playing time off the bat and having him fully integrated and functioning by the at the 3,time the post-season came along?
.To win championships, luck matters.
It's possible that the luck extended further than we think. If a healthy Johnson had solidified himself at the 4, a fast-improving Karaban might have taken away minutes from AJ at the 3 -- perhaps even winning the position entirely when AJ became a liability in January. The rest might have been whatever is the opposite of history.

Reaction Score

Such an annoying statement, my least favorite aspect of the Hurley regime is the "secret scrimmage" actual secrecy. And it seems they scrimmage Virginia intentionally in part because they also take the secrecy seriously. But the omerta serves no purpose that I can think of. Other teams leak entire box scores and the Xavier game had a guy calling actual play by play radio-style on Spaces (this last one might be against the rules, though).

If you have time to give a quote about the Internet randos getting it wrong, you have time to whisper a few interesting tidbits to the same reporter. Hopefully he spills some beans at Big East Media Day tomorrow. The Virginia scrimmage, even though it's not a real game, will be the most interesting basketball the team plays until Indiana a month from now. Give us more than a headline.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Such an annoying statement, my least favorite aspect of the Hurley regime is the "secret scrimmage" actual secrecy. And it seems they scrimmage Virginia intentionally in part because they also take the secrecy seriously. But the omerta serves no purpose that I can think of. Other teams leak entire box scores and the Xavier game had a guy calling actual play by play radio-style on Spaces (this last one might be against the rules, though).

If you have time to give a quote about the Internet randos getting it wrong, you have time to whisper a few interesting tidbits to the same reporter. Hopefully he spills some beans at Big East Media Day tomorrow. The Virginia scrimmage, even though it's not a real game, will be the most interesting basketball the team plays until Indiana a month from now. Give us more than a headline.
If Dan Hurley and his staff think keeping it a secret serves a purpose, I’ll defer to them

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
The public/leak aspect can tie a coaches hands

Any leaks impact people’s perceptions across the country- as a lot of these things get reported widely

If you are worried about ‘winning’ you may be less hesitant to try things / mix it up in a no stakes scrimmage

If Virginia beats us by 20 we don’t want that getting out. If we beat Virginia by 20 they don’t want that getting out. No issue with two coaches mutually respecting each other enough to maintain the secrecy

Reaction Score

I hate it, but I get it. The stats are essentially meaningless.

Reaction Score
I hate it, but I get it. The stats are essentially meaningless.
It's empty calorie information, but college basketball is itself a snack. Give me the juice.
If Dan Hurley and his staff think keeping it a secret serves a purpose, I’ll defer to them
If coaches could do less media, most of them would (excluding the Cals of the world). That's at odds with my interest as a fan, so in this case, I don't trust the motive. I think often the personal stakes of the individuals get in the way of the intent of the actual "college basketball" product, which is why for most sports a lot of the media/press conferences, etc. has to be mandated by the leagues.

But the NFL, for example, has open to the public joint practices in their training camps. The NCAA stipulating these scrimmages have to be secret makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People overreact to the smallest bits of info. That’s not fair to the players, positive or negative. He said Alex, Steph, and Samson played well. That’s the best possible outcome. A boxscore showing players with 9 fouls in a game where play was regularly stopped to set up a situation or to rerun a set isn’t giving much of anything.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
On the other hand, we need Clingan to build up rapport with our new guards.

He got a ton of his points off of lobs from Jackson and Calcaterra, who are no longer here. He needs to develop that with Castle, Spencer, Ball, etc.

Reaction Score
Seems like a good dude. I wonder if he wants to get back on a bench.
Probably makes 2-3x what he did coaching with about 500x less stress and actual work. Usually once you the jump to TV, you don't come back. (unless you're a moron like Sean Payton)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the other hand, we need Clingan to build up rapport with our new guards.

He got a ton of his points off of lobs from Jackson and Calcaterra, who are no longer here. He needs to develop that with Castle, Spencer, Ball, etc.
True. Fortunately, he's a pretty big target.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom