UConn - SC post game | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn - SC post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to point out to Dave O'Brien that Cardoso being out is a loss for south Carolina to be sure, but he kept harping about it the whole game and South carolina still has a lot of depth to choose from when we have 5 players done for the year. We have no depth!!!
I wonder if they didn't play better without Cardoso. I don't mean she isn't invaluable to SC. I just mean that the other players seemed to shrug off her absence pretty well. SC players did what they can do. I think they "played within themselves." But their "within" is pretty high level!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Basketball eagle eyes, a question for you. When our players are taking, or trying to take charges, I noticed a significant difference in the way they do so. Paige just gets there and takes it, and most of the time, makes the correct decision.

And before I mention another player, this is in no way a bashing post, just an observation.

A number of times this season, Ice is in a position to take the charge, and not sure if she's unsure of it, changes her mind, however it goes from right before taking contact to leaning away to not foul. If I'm imagining it, cool, however there have been some times where I was confused as to her defensive position. TIA.

Reaction Score
He’s made similar comments before when he wanted more from his players. He’s notorious for using the press to make a point when he feels his players aren’t listening in practice
Great point on the part about him using the media to get the player(s) who aren't listening in practice.

Reaction Score
Clearly S. Carolina is the team to beat this year. All solid players, great talented depth and Pao Paio couldn’t miss. Uconn appeared to have open shots, but just couldn’t make them. Perhaps they were rushed. Or the crowd affected the freshmen. Uconn needed to make open shots to have any chance. They didn’t. End of story. I did they they had a bit of a spurt at one point, which turned bad quickly after that ridiculous call on Paige’s rebound.

Reaction Score
Losing isn't pleasant and you can't always do anything about it. Of course, if you had all your resources the outcome may have been different. That's no different for any team. You win some. You lose some. If can get worse if players don't have the "next game" mentality. So, if they can do it, then as a fan...count me in.

Reaction Score
At the airport waiting to fly home. SC has a great team and Dawn has them playing at a high level. Regarding UConn, I did not see any quit in the team at all...just lost to the better team. Sat several rows behind the bench and seeing all the walking wounded was something. At this point all I want is the remaining players to keep improving and to stay healthy. I will keep cheering and enjoying seeing this team, as we may never see this same starting 5 again.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Losing Dorka and Lou was bigger then Uconn was prepared for. Both of them played through injuries to keep the team going.
Uconn never really replaced them.
How do you prepare for players that transfer into the program, especially if the player only has one year of eligibility???
I'll give it a try...
Dorka: I guess you forgot that Geno recruited Jana, who actually practiced with Dorka. But wait, after Dorka went to the W, Jana had a season ending injury. Nice plan Geno :rolleyes:. BTW I think many BYers place too high of expectations on freshman bigs, so complaining about their performance becomes common!!!
Lou: Geno recruited for this season Ashlynn and Q, and expected Azzi and Caroline to be playing. And if these two were able to play, and with the return of Paige, odds are no one in their right mind would be discussing Lou!!! Except that she, in her one year, was a great Husky and team mate. She did what she had to do without much help.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Your reading comprehension must be a little off because I was talking about dunking, or did you miss the bit about hanging on the rim. The women's game is still different from the men's, where most of the rebounds, blocks, tips are still BELOW the rim. The only area I see that is a lot like the men's is the officials let it get too physical sometimes. Mr. Naismith would not recognize much of the game today, it was at one time a non-contact sport.
And it also had rules that were actually observed. Nowadays players don't dribble much but they sure do palm and carry the ball. I laugh when a WBB, once in a blue moon, will call a carry.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And it also had rules that were actually observed. Nowadays players don't dribble much but they sure do palm and carry the ball. I laugh when a WBB, once in a blue moon, will call a carry.
You have not watched the UConn men much. They play a lot like the classic women’s teams - crisp passing, unselfish play, lots of motion and screens - they play like the 2001-02 team on offense. The defense is fierce and, again, they show great teamwork with switches and communication. It’s beautiful basketball.

Do they dunk? Yes, because it’s a high percentage shot but there’s nothing show off-ish about it. This is a disciplined team

Reaction Score
Edwards was better defensively than Paige was against Carolina. Also, they should have played thru her the entire game yesterday.
She took some hard falls yesterday and even for someone as tough as her, those had to hurt. I understand the sentiment because of how valuable she was on the floor, but she needed those breaks.

Reaction Score
Geno's comments about UConn going ahead with 7 players was clearly a message to Amari and Ines.
Coach and staff have to shoulder some blame here, as, for me, this narrative that they never play well enough in practice to get in games, is getting real old. I.e. "Don't blame me (us), blame the players."

Fact is he recruited and has on scholarship a tall post with a massive wingspan who was rated 15th in the country, 3rd post overall, that he and his staff - over a period of almost 3 seasons - have failed to develop into a resource. Not a reliable resource. Just a resource that can spell a few minutes a game when it matters. This dogmatic approach, for me, has significant impact on others who continue playing in games that are long decided, one way or the other.

All the coach disclaimers aside, that's a breakdown they all own. We've seen coach get aggressive when criticized, e.g. when asked about transfers, he asserted (words to the effect) "Nobody who transferred has ever had impact at a major division I program." Coach might want to check in Saylor Poffenbarger at Arkansas (11.2 pts, 12 rebounds per game).

Centerstream

Reaction Score
You have not watched the UConn men much. They play a lot like the classic women’s teams - crisp passing, unselfish play, lots of motion and screens - they play like the 2001-02 team on offense. The defense is fierce and, again, they show great teamwork with switches and communication. It’s beautiful basketball.

Do they dunk? Yes, because it’s a high percentage shot but there’s nothing show off-ish about it. This is a disciplined team

You are correct about watching any of the men's games. I stopped watching Men's college basketball in the early 90s, and I never was a big fan of the NBA and stopped watching it completely when Larry Bird retired.

Reaction Score
Coach and staff have to shoulder some blame here, as, for me, this narrative that they never play well enough in practice to get in games, is getting real old. I.e. "Don't blame me (us), blame the players."

Fact is he recruited and has on scholarship a tall post with a massive wingspan who was rated 15th in the country, 3rd post overall, that he and his staff - over a period of almost 3 seasons - have failed to develop into a resource. Not a reliable resource. Just a resource that can spell a few minutes a game when it matters. This dogmatic approach, for me, has significant impact on others who continue playing in games that are long decided, one way or the other.

All the coach disclaimers aside, that's a breakdown they all own. We've seen coach get aggressive when criticized, e.g. when asked about transfers, he asserted (words to the effect) "Nobody who transferred has ever had impact at a major division I program." Coach might want to check in Saylor Poffenbarger at Arkansas (11.2 pts, 12 rebounds per game).
She transferred for academics, so what is her GPA?

Reaction Score

You are spot on - can't tell you how many times Hurley's team has come to mind, when considering what I wish the women were doing...especially their constant motion, use of crisp cuts around screens, but especially their aggressiveness and play around the basket...but, you've got to have the players. Danny certainly has them primed for a possible repeat.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I keep seeing this posted by people. Again, both teams suited up 9 players for the game. All 9 players on each squad were recruited and have been trained by their respective coaching staffs.
Yes UConn recruited their players, one of them was a last second recruit that was going to a JC in Florida when she was offered a scholarship from the Huskies because of Paige's ACL injury last year. She is still learning DIV I basketball, sometimes she shows promise other times she looks lost. This is not a knock on her, she is most likely honored that she was offered and at UConn. Last year she was the only other PG on the team and helped when needed. This year there are 3 PG's ahead of her so it's going to be different, hopefully she will become more than just a bench warmer.

Reaction Score
Your reading comprehension must be a little off because I was talking about dunking, or did you miss the bit about hanging on the rim. The women's game is still different from the men's, where most of the rebounds, blocks, tips are still BELOW the rim. The only area I see that is a lot like the men's is the officials let it get too physical sometimes. Mr. Naismith would not recognize much of the game today, it was at one time a non-contact sport.
MSGRET- - -The late John Wooden used to say it best, "If I want to watch Basketball nowadays I watch the women's game as they're the only one playing the game as it should be played!"

Reaction Score
The landscape of WCBB has changed dramatically the past 5 years, which is great for the game. Geno said it best a few years ago, winning all the time is not normal, and nothing lasts forever…sigh!

Reaction Score
The UConn ladies play hard, but with injuries they have for a third year running hard to beat the Top 10 teams on the schedule. Their bench is young and inexperienced for this type of competition. Brady plays like she' standings on eggshells. Muhl's play has slipped this year, for all the assists she gets, she turns over the ball to much. Plus as good as a defender as she's supposed to be, she gets torched by athletic guards. She can handle Big East guard play but not top out of conference guards. Bueckers has to be more selfish hunting shots. Stop overpassing to her teammates. If Geno makes the Sweet 16 with this years team he should be applauded for his efforts. Hopefully next years team will be whole and a National Title defender.

Reaction Score
A word on Pao Paio, she was injured for her senior year in high school and only came back towards the end of the season. Thus she was vastly under rated nationally. I saw her play in high school and it was obvious she would be an impactful player at the next level. She was fighting injuries her entire time at Oregon so she never showed out there either. She is now playing totally healthy for the first time in a long time.

I have often posted before that there will be alot of upsets this season by lesser teams. This means that single game victories or lossed will no longer mean what they used to in respect to comparing team strengths. Being that the level and number of talented players in WCBB has increased, that means that it is spread out among more teams enabling more teams to pull off upsets if they have a good game and their opposition plays sub par. What counts more will be a teams body of work.

Since Uconn is by far the best team in their league, their body of work is suspect. In the past Uconn made up for their weak league by beating highly rated teams on their schedule. This has not been the case this season. Their league has not teams that can even challenge them on a good day- bad day basis. The top teams were overated to start the season which is why some of them were ranked. In other leagues, say the Pac 12, they would be fighting to stay out of the bottom. I see one post that stated that Uconn earned their 11th seed. No they have not. They have beaten only one team presently ranked in the top 19 Louisville and as I stated one game is not a good judge anymore. They are even ahead of ND who beat them significantly in their match up. Uconn so far has still been getting the benefit of the doubt in respect to rankings due to their history, name and coach.

In respect to Paige, many posters have noted that she does not appear to be the same player she was prior to her injuries. This is not that unusual. Often it takes more than one season after being cleared to play to get back to normal. Sometimes it might not ever happen. It depends on the player and their game. Unfortunately, in the womens game, a players athleticism surpasses their bodys physical ability to sustain the stress involved. I think it might take next season or even beyond for Paige to know what her abilities will be going ahead. Fortunately, the odds of her being as good as new have increased greatly due to advances in surgery proceedures. UConn fans should have been more guarded in their expectations for her this season. I frankly thought it might have been in her best interests to not come back so early and that she should have waited longer to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom