UConn's Top 7 with 247 recruiting ranking coming out of high school:

Tristan Newton - unranked
Cam Spencer - 100+
Alex Karaban - 100+
Donovan Clingan - 74
Stephon Castle - 9
Hassan Diarra - 98
Samson Johnson - 58

Maybe some blog nerds are not the best assessors of talent. I also think you will see more and more coaches de-emphasize high school recruiting and focus on the transfer portal.

P.S. I typed this post while watching a player that was COMPLETELY off the recruiting radar, Dalton Knecht, carrying a Tennessee team, and Edey was #75 in his class.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Keep in mind, they rank these guys based on NBA potential. Not college potential.

When looking at it from that lense all these rankings make sense. Except Clingan would be under ranked.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind, they rank these guys based on NBA potential. Not college potential.

When looking at it from that lense all these rankings make sense. Except Clingan would be under ranked.
The RSCI rating had Clingan 37. Still too low, but higher.

Karaban enrolled early, and I think that threw off the rankings because he graduated mid-year. He was in the 70s or so when he committed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cam Spencer - 100+
Alex Karaban - 100+
Donovan Clingan - 74
Stephon Castle - 9
Hassan Diarra - 98
Samson Johnson - 58

Maybe some blog nerds are not the best assessors of talent. I also think you will see more and more coaches de-emphasize high school recruiting and focus on the transfer portal.

P.S. I typed this post while watching a player that was COMPLETELY off the recruiting radar, Dalton Knecht, carrying a Tennessee team, and Edey was #75 in his class.
First team all American and still can’t spell his name right

Reaction Score
Apples to oranges.

Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer are 5th year seniors.

You cannot expect most freshmen to be better than guys with 5 years of experience.

Some of the highest rated guys in their class are bonafide NBA stars right now.

Tyrese Maxey and Anthony Edwards ... just to start. Imagine if Maxey had decided to stay 5 years at UK.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Apples to oranges.

You cannot expect most freshmen to be better than guys with 5 years of experience.

Tyrese Maxey and Anthony Edwards ... just to start. Imagine if Maxey had decided to stay 5 years at UK.
Imagine if Steph Castle stayed 5 years at UConn? That's why you build around talented kids that need guidance to reach their potential, not guys who are passing time until the NBA draft.

Reaction Score
This is why Calamari is drifting out to sea.

Give me a hard nosed 3 star over a high potential but low hunger 4/5 star anyday
A 3 star with talent. Otherwise, talent wins out in the long run but I understand the point ur making and I agree with that.

caw

Reaction Score
Apples to oranges.

But...isn't that the point of the post?

Reaction Score
This is not a UConn-only phenomenon. Look at where 4 of the 10 consensus 1st team All-Americans for this year started out: East Carolina, George Mason, Northern Colorado (Northeastern Junior College), and Ohio University. And, one other transferred from Michigan to Kansas. And, only 1 of the 1st team consensus was a top 100 recruit and 3 of the 2nd team were.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Imagine if Steph Castle stayed 5 years at UConn? That's why you build around talented kids that need guidance to reach their potential, not guys who are passing time until the NBA draft.
I'm confused, are you saying we shouldn't have recruited Stephon Castle because he won't stay for 5 years; because that is the logical conclusion to your post.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This is fine, but it's not some great insight. Until very recently transfers had to sit out a year, which wasn't good for them or the teams looking to improve. Of course with something akin to free agency you'll see more teams opt for guys who have already proven they can play.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm confused, are you saying we shouldn't have recruited Stephon Castle because he won't stay for 5 years; because that is the logical conclusion to your post.
I said don’t recruit kids that are passing time until the draft, does Castle play like someone doing that? Thats the logical conclusion of your post.

Reaction Score

Cam Spencer - 100+
Alex Karaban - 100+
Donovan Clingan - 74
Stephon Castle - 9
Hassan Diarra - 98
Samson Johnson - 58

That's impressive. Also, my opinion, Cam and Newt may not have gotten NBA looks if they stayed in Jersey and ECar (respectively) Newt wouldn't have been an All-American as a pirate. Trust

Side note- I love BYers who never start their own threads, but love to pick on a small error or nit pick every little thing in another poster's thread. They are truly God's children.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A good bar bet is: "Name the second-highest ranked recruit in the Top 7". One guess.

Reaction Score

Newton will probably be drafted and so will Cam. Newton unranked is the biggest whiff IMO. Unless I misread your post.

Reaction Score

Well, then they may make sense, but it makes no sense that a college coach or fan would care about them very much.

I also don't think you're right. I think if you asked the services they are trying to rank on college potential. They're just not all that good at it. But happy to be proven wrong if you can point me to anything.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Well, then they may make sense, but it makes no sense that a college coach or fan would care about them very much.

I also don't think you're right. I think if you asked the services they are trying to rank on college potential. They're just not all that good at it. But happy to be proven wrong if you can point me to anything.
This is for football, but I’d think the same concept works for basketball as well.

I believe the train of thought is that if they are going to be a good pro prospect then they should also be a good college player as well though.

Players are first grouped qualitatively with a star rating, then given a numerical rating based on their future potential, and finally ranked according to these numerical ratings.

110 - 101 = Franchise Player. One of the best players to come along in years, if not decades. Odds of having a player in this category every year is slim. This prospect has “can’t miss” talent.

100 - 98 = Five-star prospect. One of the top 30 players in the nation. This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom