UConn respect appears to be very high | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn respect appears to be very high

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Women’s team performance next season, or any season, has no effect on national “respect” for the men’s program.
Respect for UConn! The hype that would come from it would be immeasurable.

Reaction Score
I’ve had Duke fans make comments about Clingan or Spencer being jerks to opposing players or saying they taunt. I always respond you loved Laettner back to the older ones. Holy Pot Meet Kettle.
That reminds me of comments on the Yahoo Kentucky site when we beat them in the 2014 Final Four.
They were in despair and one guy said he'd rather UK lose than play the way we did.
He was referring to the play where Shabazz shoved Boat to get him into the right spot. The Kentucky fan made it sound like UConn was out of control and fighting amongst themselves and he preferred his all loving and friendly UK guys.

Reaction Score
I’ve had Duke fans make comments about Clingan or Spencer being jerks to opposing players or saying they taunt. I always respond you loved Laettner back to the older ones. Holy Pot Meet Kettle.
Respecting how pleasantly your team interacts with players on opposing teams directly correlates to how much you're losing......

Reaction Score
UConn gear getting the same attention Patriots wear used to get

Great icebreaker, always draws some remark, an intriguing respect mixed with a splash of hatred

It's all good

Going to the Outer Banks of NC soon, looking forward to basking in the sun among some pretty passionate college basketball fans.
Norway in June and Antarctica next January will allow me to test the "icebreaker" theory. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
I'll grant you victory in an argument that I did not see @ctchamps making.

UConn's basketball teams finished with #1 and #3 rankings.

If the logic offered in justifying the AP awarding of Kelvin Sampson as MBB Coach of the Year were applied to WBB voting, Geno would have presented a better case than Kelvin.

Danny winning the NBWA coaching award trued up with Dawn Staley's. This board isn't organized around passionate consideration of both teams, but "Where does UConn stand?" remains an animated conversation.

Just as MBB is aiming for a three-peat, WBB is aiming for a 12th national championship, which would exceed John Wooden's 11 at UCLA, and I do not believe would ever be exceeded. Geno Auriemma has already surpassed K in total victories, and with Tara VanderVeer's retirement he is likely in November to become the all-time winningest college basketball coach. I do not imagine that will ever be exceeded.

Two different sports? Yes
The same two sports? Yes

The women won't move the needle regarding the men for men who are inattentive, indifferent, or hostile to any linked consideration. That alone neither validates nor invalidates either point of view regarding UConn basketball universally.

In my opinion, "both/and" for the win.
That's a lot of words to provide nothing to counter the original assertion "Women’s team performance next season, or any season, has no effect on national “respect” for the men’s program". Because that assertion is absolutely true. And that comes from a 25+ year season ticket holder for both.

Reaction Score
The respect is nice but what else can people say? UConn plays beautiful, winning team ball. They build the team in the best way for these times, by developing players with smart supplementation from the portal. There's nothing to hate on here, that's why I find the shade so easy to dismiss.
There is one thing to hate on and I've heard DH mentioned both positively and negatively (usually more often) in this regard. DH's touting of all the good things UConn does.

We hear DH commenting on our unselfish play, dominance outside the league and praising the league and how it toughened up our team and view them as positives while fans of opposing teams are starting to make comments about how boastful and abrasive he is.....that's especially true of the ACC and SEC fans (lots of them where I live). Of course, it's OK for the SEC to tout how dominant they are in football.

A neighbor (clemson fan who happily lapped up my well wishes when they were winning football titles) grudgingly offered his congratulations but followed it up with, "but your coach is an a_s-ole and Dabo hasn't taken one player from the portal". I chose not to debate it.

Reaction Score
I was trading portal/recruit stories with someone whose team was losing some key pieces and his comment was "it must be good to be a UConn fan." I assured him that he was right and told him there was plenty of room on the wagon. He politely declined.
:D
We have St John's fans as next door neighbors and PC fans a few houses down the street and they're a real dichotomy.

The PC fan grew up in Hartford, played at Bulkeley and went to PC. He's excited about English and the recruits they're bringing in, loves the UConn women and very much respects and praises the play of the men. Never says anything negative and has sent me a couple articles about PC and always mentions it looks as if #7 is in the cards.

The St John's guy was excited last Fall about Pitino and is now depressed and trying to figure out what's going wrong. He did not say anything about UConn except a quick congratulations before further lamenting the situation at St John's.

I think a lot of it is some of the older fans still remember when other teams were great and got lots of press and still haven't come to grips with UConn's "recent" success.

Reaction Score
I went to a cousins house this weekend. He went to UNC and is a big UNC fan. It’s a little awkward - you can just tell there’s a little hatred lurking, comments about how good we are just don’t seem totally sincere. We’re encroaching on their dominance and they don’t like it. But what can they say? We do things the right way and play beautiful ball as others have said. I was thinking about how to break the ice a bit but then just let it go - its not our problem.
You don't want to cause family strife, so just say you've always respected them and their 6 championships (other than the years of Afro Fraud classes) and won't think any less of them when we win our next championship.

Reaction Score
Earlier today, I was wearing a UConn sweatshirt when I was picking up groceries for my mom. I crossed paths and made eye contact with a guy wearing a Purdue hat. No words shared, but I definitely felt better after seeing that guy.
Another neighbor is a Purdue grad and I haven't heard a word from him. Surprising, but may be related to his wife's health.

Interestingly, he was on the Hickory team that was featured in "Hoosiers". He was a sophomore and hardly played and said there was a great deal of license taken with the facts. No drunk assistant coach for example.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That's a lot of words to provide nothing to counter the original assertion "Women’s team performance next season, or any season, has no effect on national “respect” for the men’s program". Because that assertion is absolutely true. And that comes from a 25+ year season ticket holder for both.
Okay, I grant you the same victory stated in my first paragraph. Your are claiming it as the original assertion, but it was asserted in response to what @ctchamps put forth, so I don't see how it could qualify as original. If I missed something that preceded it, please call it go my attention. I have no need to be right, nor feeI need to make you wrong, especially if I'm mistaken.

What I wrote intended to put forth a fuller statement of what ctchamps was saying.

I closed what I wrote with recognition that it would not "move the needle" for many with a variety of differing viewpoints. You seem to be among them. If you can't locate yours point if view among those I identified, please feel free to add yours.

Im not going to comment in or examine the legitimacy of your claim to "absolute truth," nor the basis upon which you claim it. Both of those are irrelevant to what I wrote. Besides, for the most part, I don't dispute the thrust of your claim, even if I might choose different words.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My son had his first showcase hockey tourney this past weekend with a new team so I met several new parents. I introduced myself to anyone I didn’t already know and made mention of my UConn fandom in case they needed some name association going forward. Mostly Nova grads so there was some fun banter but the general consensus of course is that they all miss Jay Wright terribly…

Reaction Score
I know it will be the talk all season but it’s crazy hard to do this. Even after Danny gets the whole team assembled it’s going to be unknown for awhile how everything comes together. I pray that our fans have patience. Is that asking too much?
This isn't the Sewerexcuse newsletter you're posting on...... so it may be a bit too much.:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is one thing to hate on and I've heard DH mentioned both positively and negatively (usually more often) in this regard. DH's touting of all the good things UConn does.
If one thinks its OK to hate on a coach for touting their school, doesn't one have to hate on all coaches? Or only the ones that back it up?

Reaction Score
If one thinks its OK to hate on a coach for touting their school, doesn't one have to hate on all coaches? Or only the ones that back it up?
I'm betting those that think that way only apply it to the ones that back it up.

But the positive things he says about UConn: the players' desire to win above personal glory and being "bullet proof" are often misunderstood, perhaps due to frustration with their teams and how much UConn has dominated these past two years.

The articles sent to my phone about Duke get more hilarious every day. They're written like HS term papers touting Jon Schehyer and "the team" and their weekly revised recruiting philosophy and fit with the angst they must be feeling. One today was on Cooper Flagg saying how "they" went farther this year than expected but will go for a win next year". Totally brainwashed right down to their 5 star guys.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Ice T Respect GIF by Global Citizen
To The Moon Defi GIF by YIELD

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My son had his first showcase hockey tourney this past weekend with a new team so I met several new parents. I introduced myself to anyone I didn’t already know and made mention of my UConn fandom in case they needed some name association going forward. Mostly Nova grads so there was some fun banter but the general consensus of course is that they all miss Jay Wright terribly…
I told the story here, but I was in a board meeting where the board president made some half assed point about the value of teamwork and backed it up by saying he knew because he was a Villanova fan and they are pretty good basketball basketball team. I replied that I agreed with him and I knew because I'm a Connecticut fan and we are a better basketball team. The rest of the board collectively ohhhhhhh, like it was going to be an elementary school playground fight.

It's good to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
I wear UConn stuff often as I graduated from UConn in 88 and have followed the team since the days of Norman Bailey and Mike McKay. It always makes me laugh when people say things like " The girls are so good, Geno is amazing." I just smile because I really have no interest in the women's program.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wear UConn stuff often as I graduated from UConn in 88 and have followed the team since the days of Norman Bailey and Mike McKay. It always makes me laugh when people say things like " The girls are so good, Geno is amazing." I just smile because I really have no interest in the women's program.
Perfect response.

Btw, the other day, there was a tweet showing Mark Pope with a guy who had signed with Kentucky. Maybe it was posted to show that their successhinted by an earlier tweet wasn't Mahaney, as some had feared. Pope's very long tall guy finger pointed to the recruit. I liked the picture of Hurley's finger pointing at you better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Well at least theyre not Grayson Allen"- Me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom