Uconn recruiting and the AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn recruiting and the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Spot-on, DD. One at a time.

And as sure as the Lord provides little green apples, somebody in the Big 10 hierarchy will realize that "OOPS! What the hell were we thinking when we invited Rutgers cuz we thought they were hot in the huge and lucrative NYC TV market?" And, BTW, there are lots of TVs in New Enland -- and NYC!​

I gotta like our chances.
It is all about the rate they can charge for folks that have the Big Ten Network. If there is a school in the Big Ten and in the media market that gets the network, the rate the network gets from the distributor is higher. That is the key to Rutgers - it gave them the NY media market. It has nothing to do with folks actually watching the station, although I'm sure that they would love it if folks did.

You are correct that it is a large media market, apparently, that UConn would deliver, but I suspect there are other factors that would be what made you attractive. Get in the AAU if you want in, however, as the academic side is very important, Google it if you wish.

Also, FWIW, in 2012 we were talking to a fellow when we were on vacation who was on the Big Ten alumni student athlete advisory board and he was telling us that they wanted Rutgers for years, they just were waiting for a suitable partner (turned out to be Maryland).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In theory I have no real problem, but I don't know that unionization really does much to address those instances that you bring up which were 'handled' - you can complain about the speed, but ... work situations with unions have had just as many issues some of which went on for much longer. And it adds just another layer of complication to an already complex situation. Classifying athletes as employees which is what unionization requires opens a rats nest of legal and tax issues as well.
And you can bet that Geno and Tara and Muffet would bat an eye, when the Union rep checks their watch and tells the coach in the middle of a drill, that a 15 minute break is now 10 minutes overdue and therefore the rest of practice is cancelled, effective immediately and please fill out form 1627-2 to explain why the rules were broken.

I recall the wonderful Dutch Organist/Conductor Gustav Leonhardt becoming quite irate and confused when I suggested that we were 20 minutes into overtime at his first rehearsal and that we needed to stop.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bump with the commitment of Boykin.

Damn, conference is killing us.
Yeah, recruiting is going down the tubes. If all we can add to Collier and Boykin are Durr and Samuelson, this class will only be the BEST EVER.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yeah, recruiting is going down the tubes. If all we can add to Collier and Boykin are Durr and Samuelson, this class will only be the BEST EVER.
Imagine how good it would have been if we were already in the ACC or The Big!!!???

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Add in Brown to that class, or Butler to the guard quartet and you have 2 awful classes in a row :confused:. Now in Orange hell, they are now backpedaling "well, it will take TIME for the crappy new conference UCONN is in to have an impact. After all, this is the first year the new conference will officially be in place with RU and L'ville leaving, and no one will want to play in that conference down the road. But it will take recruits time to realize that".

So delusional. Geno just won back to back NC's. Storrs is the hoops capital of the world for the 2nd time in history, and both times it's been done by UCONN. That alone is a ridiculously impressive statistic. I'm betting if you list the top 10 things recruits look for, conference affiliation isn't even on the list. It probably comes in at about #15-20.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Add in Brown to that class, or Butler to the guard quartet and you have 2 awful classes in a row :confused:. Now in Orange hell, they are now backpedaling "well, it will take TIME for the crappy new conference UCONN is in to have an impact. After all, this is the first year the new conference will officially be in place with RU and L'ville leaving, and no one will want to play in that conference down the road. But it will take recruits time to realize that".

So delusional. Geno just won back to back NC's. Storrs is the hoops capital of the world for the 2nd time in history, and both times it's been done by UCONN. That alone is a ridiculously impressive statistic. I'm betting if you list the top 10 things recruits look for, conference affiliation isn't even on the list. It probably comes in at about #15-20.
Also as impressive, we had 2 other opportunities for both programs to win simultaneous N Championships! I do think over time we will be better off in a better conference. But Geno and KO have helped make this transition "relatively seamless and painless"- don't you think???? I'm still euphoric!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As I've said before, recruiting for WBB should see little impact from conference, as long as the team competes at the level you are used to.

I also think MBB will be little affected, as long as they make deep NCAA runs going forward.

Women's recruits that you get are not only looking for post-season success (which is not conference dependent) but also the less measurable development benefits of being coached by Geno et al.

At the same time, there is no question in my mind that the over-all key to UConn continuing - long term - to be an over-all athletic success, you will need to get into a power conference. Alternatively, the American needs to make itself a power conference (in football), but that would be an uphill battle.

Reaction Score
We all just better hope than UConn will be allowed to match the "power 5 funding" or UConn athletics as a whole is in big big trouble.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We all just better hope than UConn will be allowed to match the "power 5 funding" or UConn athletics as a whole is in big big trouble.
Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Any way some of you worriers/and/or/naysayers can enjoy the the present moment of UCONN basketball, or in some cases, just deal with it?

If the only negative tool you have to critique Geno and his troops is to suggest problems may be ahead, you need to work on capturing the day, or lat least appreciating it. Of course, some here just want to change the subject to fit their own cognition.

IAC, your gloom and doom will not cloud over my sunshine.

Then, of course, there are those of us who are not binary. We can be thrilled and delighted with the current team, have high hopes for the near future, but are more than a bit unsettled by the prospect of being trapped in the AAC for the medium and longer terms. I happen to find that a realistic outlook, but then, I am aware realism is not what message boards are for.

T

TroyHouse66

CL82
<<UConn can become a thriving major-league team.... If they... create their own brand ....-- become, as Geno says "in a league of our own" -- then it will be unprecedented....>>

Unprecedented?
What about the Harlem Globetrotters & Washington Generals?

Reaction Score
Unbelievable.
What is so unbelievable? Do you think top tier athletes are going to continue to go to UConn when they can go to a school in a "power 5" conference and receive far and away financial benefits?

Reaction Score
What is so unbelievable? Do you think top tier athletes are going to continue to go to UConn when they can go to a school in a "power 5" conference and receive far and away financial benefits?
I would forsee legal challenges to NCAA regulations allowing higher benefits for P5 from those allowed at other Division 1 schools.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What is unbelievable is that you feel the need to pour cold water on every positive post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Then, of course, there are those of us who are not binary. We can be thrilled and delighted with the current team, have high hopes for the near future, but are more than a bit unsettled by the prospect of being trapped in the AAC for the medium and longer terms. I happen to find that a realistic outlook, but then, I am aware realism is not what message boards are for.
So, every time something positive happens, we need to be reminded of the conference situation?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Majority of the teams in the AAC will have the resources to play Athletes a Stipend if the Power 5 Conferences start. I imagine schools will also contact their boosters with deep pockets to assist if necessary.

Reaction Score
Majority of the teams in the AAC will have the resources to play Athletes a Stipend if the Power 5 Conferences start. I imagine schools will also contact their boosters with deep pockets to assist if necessary.

The point is that they might not be allowed to by the NCAA

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So I play Devil's Advocate what is wrong with that? Is this a discussion board or what?
That's what you are doing? Posting things you might not even believe or care about to play devils advocate?

Why?

Reaction Score
So I play Devil's Advocate what is wrong with that? Is this a discussion board or what?
It's kind of dreary continually hearing crap that is beyond our control and seemingly beyond the control of the University. No one is saying you are wrong but most here would like to dwell on the positives and the things that we or the University have some control over. Would you like to discuss the likelihood that you or someone who you love might contract cancer or some other life threatening illness that is beyond your control???? I would think not because it serves absolutely no purpose and is a real downer. Why submit peoples conscious mind to that sort of thing????? I apologize for even bringing something so personal up but it is only to make a point that some people don't seem to grasp.

Reaction Score
It's kind of dreary continually hearing crap that is beyond our control and seemingly beyond the control of the University. No one is saying you are wrong but most here would like to dwell on the positives and the things that we or the University have some control over. Would you like to discuss the likelihood that you or someone who you love might contract cancer or some other life threatening illness that is beyond your control???? I would think not because it serves absolutely no purpose and is a real downer. Why submit peoples conscious mind to that sort of thing????? I apologize for even bringing something so personal up but it is only to make a point that some people don't seem to grasp.

The fact that you just equated Cancer with women's basketball speaks volumes. What makes your 2 cents worth anymore than mine?

Reaction Score
I recall the wonderful Dutch Organist/Conductor Gustav Leonhardt becoming quite irate and confused when I suggested that we were 20 minutes into overtime at his first rehearsal and that we needed to stop.

I can't understand why the European fixation over strictly limited work hours would be unfamiliar to Leonhardt. After all, about 10 years ago the French managed to kill 15,000 of their own citizens during an August heat wave when authorities there enforced their 35-hour work week limitation on doctors who were tending to the numerous aged French patients in French hospitals in desperate physical shape.

Reaction Score
That's what you are doing? Posting things you might not even believe or care about to play devils advocate?

Why?

Im sorry for posting about events that directly relate to UConn women's basketball on a UConn women's basketball forum. What was I thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom