Uconn recruiting and the AAC impact | The Boneyard

Uconn recruiting and the AAC impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There have been a few spirited debates on the impact of the weak conference on recruiting top players including the last time I posted this thread.

I'll do my best not to contribute to having this thread locked. So, again........

The conference was officially formed in early April, but the old Big East had dissolved when the Catholic Seven announced they were leaving. There was uncertainty about Uconn's future conference. None of the big 5 were adding more teams.

So, in my opinion, Edwards, Williams, Nurse and now Collier and Boyton all knew to some degree how weak the AAC would be.

I now ask if this is enough proof that conference affiliation has little to do with Uconn's ability to recruit going forward?

If it's not enough proof, how many more top recruits have to commit to remove any doubt?

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of recruits so much as time. The conference is all of 10 months old. I think it's going to be at least five years before any ill effects are felt, and that should be around the time Geno hangs it up, or at least begins to seriously ponder retirement which would tend to accelerate any downside impacts of the AAC. In reality, I think it's way too early to worry about this. I don't think conference realignment is done, maybe for now it is, but I'm sure in five years time when conferences start looking around to squeeze more money out of what's left, UConn will get a call. My best guess would be the B1G as it would nicely round out their eastern division with teams like Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, and Ohio State among others, would give them two of the nation's premier basketball programs, and lots of TV sets in New England and NYC metro. When they grab UConn, I would also like to see the B1G grab Virginia if for no other reason than continuing to bolster the academic profile of the conference not to mention expanding southward while solidifying its eastern presence and owning every market from DC to Boston.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Doggy.... 100% agree...... Conference affiliation doesn't matter at all when the season ends like this...!! Here's the top 10 reasons recruits will keep coming:
1. National Championships
2. Undefeated seasons, again....
3. Geno, CD and staff
4. Play w/ Stewie, KML and MoJeff...et al
5. Be the best player you can possibly be.
6. ESPN televises 10 of your games nationally...
7. Schedule includes 8 of top 12 teams, and you whup them all.
8. Great fan support where ever you play.
9. You want to play in the WNBA.
10. More National Championships

I think conference affiliation is #34......:rolleyes:
Go Huskies..!!!

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm delighted. I was worried. Hope we get Butler!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I really thought and think the new conference would hurt the men's program long before the women's program would be affected. But KO handled that potential issue very well I think over the short term. So well that now our only worry is him leaving! Over time I think it could still loom large when Geno decides to pack it in. But the stars and planets seam to be aligning for the next 4-5 yrs at least!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a minority voice to be heard. And I'm not trying to pick a fight.

One attraction of the AAC is its geographical spread. A basketball recruit (say, top 100 or so) who is Div I scholarship material just might find the travel opportunities alluring. Hey, a couple mid-winter trips to Florida, others to urban centers in Dallas, Philadelphia, and Memphis (and New Orleans when Tulane joins) might strike a responsive chord with some kid of modest means in a small town somewhere.

And as I have posted before, the decks will be shuffled throughout all conferences over about the next few recruiting classes. I expect that several AAC schools make a serious commitment to bb and make progress in the quality of their programs. How many? How much? Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Too early for any proof to satisfy the conference worriers because they're worrying about years down the road and because of that they're never have to admit to being wrong because they can always point to a future possibility. Sure the 2015 recruiting class may secure UConn as an elite program for at least the next 5 seasons, but what we really should be worried about is 10 years from now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what league we're in as long as we have the best women's basketball coach in the world in charge. If we are still in the AAC when Geno calls it a day we become La. Tech overnight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what league we're in as long as we have the best women's basketball coach in the world in charge. If we are still in the AAC when Geno calls it a day we become La. Tech overnight.
Don't agree with the overnight part.

When Barmore retired LaTech had two really good years before the impact was felt because of returning players.

LaTech hired Kurt Budke(May he rest in peace). A good, but not great coach. I doubt Uconn would hire at that level. And I doubt Geno would leave Uconn in a bad way. I'd use Calhoun pushing Ollie as HC for the men as an example. I think they are actually recruiting better.

That being said, I don't think Geno is retiring after this latest contract. I think he will be only 64. I've been told 60's is the new 50's. He loves what he does too much to leave.

And as you said, as long as Geno is there , Uconn will be top dog.

Reaction Score
One thing, that I hadn't considered, is that other top players may be drawn to other AAC schools in order to have the opportunity to
1) stay close to home, while
2) measuring themselves against the best (UConn) 2 to 3 times a year.

Reaction Score
I think we will be fine while Geno is still here as well, and I worry about when he leaves more than anything. With that being said though, I don't think he will leave UCONN if he sees a "LaTech" situation. I think he actually will wait, if he can, until the rest of the conference gets better. I actually worry less about AAC men than I do women. The men have some good programs in that conference.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think we will be fine while Geno is still here as well, and I worry about when he leaves more than anything. With that being said though, I don't think he will leave UCONN if he sees a "LaTech" situation. I think he actually will wait, if he can, until the rest of the conference gets better. I actually worry less about AAC men than I do women. The men have some good programs in that conference.
Totally agree. Geno would never leave the program in a LaTech situation.

Who knows what the NCAA and conference stuff will play out. The only sure bet is that as long as Geno is there, great players will come and championships will be won.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't agree with the overnight part.

When Barmore retired LaTech had two really good years before the impact was felt because of returning players.

So you're saying that La. Tech wasn't La. Tech overnight?

After Geno leaves we will have some really good years before the impact is felt because of returning players. Like I said.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So you're saying that La. Tech wasn't La. Tech overnight?

After Geno leaves we will have some really good years before the impact is felt because of returning players. Like I said.
It depends who they hire.

I don't see UConn becoming irrelevant like La Tech was after Barmore retired. So , no I don't think you are right. UConn won't become LaTech after Geno leaves.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well again, like I said last time this was brought up, most of us who don't view the AAC in a good light are not thinking of immediate impact. (at least for the women) We are (and have always been) looking down the road when Geno retires. This again is kind of a strawman. No, the 2014 recruiting class, the 2015 recruiting class are not going to prove anything one way or another. Come back with this when Geno has retired and if UCONN is still in the AAC. At that point, then this can be addressed.

On the other hand, I don't think being in the AAC helps any in recruiting. It may not (probably doesn't) hurt any right now, but it doesn't help UCONN. Which is ok, because UCONN doesn't really need any help right now.

In the end, it may not even be a problem with the name/brand of the conference, or even who UCONN plays, it may come down to $$$$, or the lack of $$$$ allocated because of being in a mid-major.

Reaction Score
Since some here seem to believe it's a foregone conclusion that being in a non-P5 conference will hurt a program, then should not the opposite be true: Being in a P5 conference HELPS.
If that is in fact true, then please explain (you fill in the blank).

I would argue that conference affiliation has an almost immeasurable effect on the success of any particular program. Why were/are some mid-majors routinely able to make fairly good runs through the tournament and other P5 teams unable even to get there?

It was and is and shall be all about coaching and not about conference.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Since some here seem to believe it's a foregone conclusion that being in a non-P5 conference will hurt a program, then should not the opposite be true: Being in a P5 conference HELPS.
If that is in fact true, then please explain (you fill in the blank).

I would argue that conference affiliation has an almost immeasurable effect on the success of any particular program. Why were/are some mid-majors routinely able to make fairly good runs through the tournament and other P5 teams unable even to get there?

It was and is and shall be all about coaching and not about conference.
For instance, in the 2014 class
Player ranked 1-9, 11, 13-15, 17-44, 46-64, 66-71, 73-74, 76-82, 85-95, 97-100 all signed with schools from the P5 conference. Only 10 top 100 kids for the mid-majors, and 4 of them where UCONN's. Looks like it helps recruiting to me.

What else. 2014 NCAA tourney
1 mid-major in FF (UCONN)
2 mid-major in E8 (UCONN, Louisville)
4 mid-majors in S16 (UCONN, Louisville, BYU, DePaul)
7 mid-majors in ?32
So it looks like the P5 are much more successful on the court also.

Granted this was only 1 year, but I'm willing to bet most years aren't much different.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Too early for any proof to satisfy the conference worriers because they're worrying about years down the road and because of that they're never have to admit to being wrong because they can always point to a future possibility. Sure the 2015 recruiting class may secure UConn as an elite program for at least the next 5 seasons, but what we really should be worried about is 10 years from now.

Gotta love the 10 yr worry.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It depends who they hire.

No, it doesn't. That's my point. Anyone who is hired is not Geno. I think you actually underestimate Geno. He is the best coach in his sport in the world. The entire freaking world. That's why he can still get great players to come to a team in a non-power conference. That will be gone when he goes. No power conference, we're screwed. We won't have the money to pay for an elite coach.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, it doesn't. That's my point. Anyone who is hired is not Geno. I think you actually underestimate Geno. He is the best coach in his sport in the world. The entire freaking world. That's why he can still get great players to come to a team in a non-power conference. That will be gone when he goes. No power conference, we're screwed. We won't have the money to pay for an elite coach.
I find this so premature that it's ludicrous to talk about it.

Geno is just as likely to sign another 5 year contract taking this out 9 years plus a few years before the impact of him leaving is felt.

Call me in 11 years and we can see where Uconn is by. Then.

Reaction Score
I find this so premature that it's ludicrous to talk about it.

Geno is just as likely to sign another 5 year contract taking this out 9 years plus a few years before the impact of him leaving is felt.

Call me in 11 years and we can see where Uconn is by. Then.
This whole thread is amazing to me. We just won two NC's despite being in the AAC. Does anyone really think that potential recruits are going to think I'd rather play in the best conference than for the best coach and the best team? Uconn is the cream of the crop in college basketball and a highly desirable place to play. It will remain that way for the foreseeable future. When Geno retires, the big issue will be who replaces him, not what conference are we in. The same is true with Kevin Ollie. Besides recruiting is only part of the issue. Kevin Ollie won this year because he was the best coach, not because he had the most talented players. Geno wins because he has the best players and can inspire them to greatness. When he retires, there will be a huge market to replace him. Some of the posters on this board will worry no matter what. Of course, "The Sky is Falling". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Any conefernce is weak compared to UCONN. Even if UCONN was in the ACC it would not have changed the 40-0 record or the final outcome. The only difference would have been elimination of battle of undefeateds hype leading up to the NC.

Reaction Score
Permit a minority voice to be heard. And I'm not trying to pick a fight.

One attraction of the AAC is its geographical spread. A basketball recruit (say, top 100 or so) who is Div I scholarship material just might find the travel opportunities alluring. Hey, a couple mid-winter trips to Florida, others to urban centers in Dallas, Philadelphia, and Memphis (and New Orleans when Tulane joins) might strike a responsive chord with some kid of modest means in a small town somewhere.

And as I have posted before, the decks will be shuffled throughout all conferences over about the next few recruiting classes. I expect that several AAC schools make a serious commitment to bb and make progress in the quality of their programs. How many? How much? Only time will tell.
All very valid points. The sound of reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom