UConn-Providence postgame thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Providence postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The last regular season game. Sad. The off season is so long. The BE tourney and the NCAAs are all that remain of this strange, strange season.

Not much worth commenting on about tonight's game. Paige and AE did their usual good stuff, good D, scoring from someone, anyone not Paige or AE leaves lots to be desired. Those anyone's contributed 8 points in the first half. During the 3rd Q I thought to my self that Geno should pull Paige and AE and let the rest figure out who could score. A minute later that's just what he did. They managed 17 points.

Reaction Score
It was disjointed play a lot of the game but I was thrilled the bench players got much more minutes than usual meaning Paige and Aaliyah got more time on the bench!
The first game for UConn in the BE Tournament Geno should do the same plan because Sunday & Monday will be tough, physical games!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hard to believe it is the end of the regular season already. However, where in years past I have always hated to see the season end. As a fan, this season was ripe for the finish. We have been threading the needle about keeping our starters healthy and injury-free because our margin of error is zero. We have a week to rest and get somewhat healthy then it will be a tough 3 days in a row...then some more rest before starting the NCAAs. That three-day stretch is going to be tough...with such a short bench. We are going to need Ice, Q, and Bettencourt to give us some productive minutes.

When we talk of expectations for the post-season it depends on your perspective. Optimistic fans can not see UConn doing anything other than cutting down the nets. "UConn haters" (I don't know how that is even a possibility) would like to see UConn knocked out early. The conventional wisdom sees UConn getting to the Sweet Sixteen and then running into resistance and a possible season-ending performance. The team members hopefully will only see one game ahead of them and stay focused on the game they are going to play.

Either way, we need to appreciate every game we have left...as some of the players we have been watching and appreciating over the past four years may be closing out their college careers. We need to appreciate what our ladies have accomplished...The Regular Big East Conference Champions. A decent 19 and 5 record and are ranked as the 10th-best team in the country and going into the Big East Tournament as the number one seed. All of this with 5 really good players on the bench and unable to play. We have some great players coming in next year, we have Paige and Aubrey coming back...what is there not to appreciate? All things considered we have had a great season and we are not done yet!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Either way, we need to appreciate every game we have left...as some of the players we have been watching and appreciating over the past four years may be closing out their college careers. We need to appreciate what our ladies have accomplished...The Regular Big East Conference Champions. A decent 19 and 5 record and are ranked as the 10th-best team in the country and going into the Big East Tournament as the number one seed. All of this with 5 really good players on the bench and unable to play. We have some great players coming in next year, we have Paige and Aubrey coming back...what is there not to appreciate? All things considered we have had a great season and we are not done yet!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

19-5 would be decent but 26-5 is much better :)

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
* A disappointing game. Yes, UConn won but it should have been a much better showig against a weak team as Providence.
*During the 4th quarter, i found my self thinking that it could be the first time ever (?) that UConn will not score any points in a quarter.
*The only goodthing about that misrable 4th quarter was that Paige and AE got some rest.
*What happened to UConn's 3 shooting. It seems no one can hit 3's (both Paige and Shadwe had air balls).
*Paige: aside than the 3 point shooting, she was amazing as always. When she is aggresive and lookig for her shots, there is very little an opponent can do to stop her from scoring. we will need her to be more like CC during the tournaments for UConn to have a real chance.
*AE: a good game, especially on defense with some amazing steals. I don't like it when she hedges to double team out on the perimeter as it leaves a UConn guard to defend posts. Providence is not a good enough team to tke advantage but top q0teamswill b do that.
*KK: a real good game by her. She is a demon on defense and today her shots fell for her.
*Shade: seems to have lost some confidence in her shot from 3. Still a mid-range shot is money.
*Nika: had a solid game. Could and should have more assists if only her teammates will stop missing bunnies.
*Ice: ok game rebounding but her in ability to finish around the basket when guarded is worrying for the tournament.
*Q: shot a lot in the minutes she was in but couldn't find the bottom of the net.
*Ines: sorry but this game didn't show any reason why she should get minutes other than garbage time.
*The thing i love about this team is that they fight. They are scrappy and have no problem diving on loose balls.
*Hopefully UConn re-discovers a shooting touch from 3 as it ill be critical against the better teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Yes, there appeared to be some "words" there. then after the Providence coach said something, Geno turned around like he heard something he didn't like. No one mentioned it on SNY, and it appeared CD was trying to "smooth" things over with the PC coach. Maybe I read it wrong, but maybe not!
Looked amicable to me!

Reaction Score
We are lucky in a way but badly robbed in another as to watching Paige play (and missing her when she was hurt.) . What a player. What a joy to watch. Again early on before she banged her knee - there were times I got frustrated that she could take shots but doesn't. But one play after she came back at around the 5 minute mark she has a 3 she could have taken but decides to put the ball on the foor going from left-side of the floor to her right. She gets a pick from a Brady. She is immediately open yet again open to take a 15+ footer but not only that she fades a little to her right away from Brady who set the pick, - as though she is dealying from taking an open shot. Then she finally goes up to take the shot (and I felt -- "It’s about time!"), and what does she do??? - she passes to a wide open Brady for a layup. And then I'm thinking, "of course she did the pick-n-roll then faded right for a reason," - it was to give separation for Brady to roll unimpeded to the basket while Paige was setting up the perfect spacing/angle to make the pass as she was fading right drawing The Defense to her and away from Brady. What an understated but yet brilliant play. Her passing can't get highlighted as it might have otherwise if the team were healthy. And that is another reason why we've been robbed as fans. She would have been "Magic/Showtime" if the team and her were healthy.

Then I thought - what's the point of being frustrated when she doesn't shoot right away? Just enjoy whether she shoots or doesn’t. Then it clicked in my slow brain the prior play she made a gorgeous pass to KK what could have been a layup - and it just made he think - she is just ahead of everyone. Then after these passes - what does she do? She puts on a scoring clinic. Frankly she was Player of the Game- should have been.

If UCONN was ever healthy- for example imagine if Azzi and Caroline were healthy these past two years with a healthy Paige??? Can you imagine???? I'm a big fan of guard play - but anyhow sad the reg season has ended. The two freshmen KK and Ashlynn are not the same as earlier. They ran into the same wall. Which is why we don't see UCONN pressing any more imo.

In regard for next year- food for thought- imagine once season ends and Paige is set to go to WNBA. Imagine Clark struggles her 1st year at Indiana and they wind up with the number 1 pick? :D

Reaction Score
A few games ago (DePaul), I wrote the italicized below and received a significant amount of derision:

I hate to be the killjoy on a day that UConn scored a century and Paige made some moves not see in Chicago since MJ...

but:

Spring of 2024, UConn is a good, very decent team, but

-Shooting from distance of late has been erratic -The half court offense (at times)seemed less
effective the DePaul's
-There really is no bench
-Other than Aaliyah, there is no substantial hight...Ice
did well at times but continues to be a fouling
machine.(
note: better today in that respect)
-The freshman starters still seem worn down.

None of this is news, we've been talking about it all season. I can't predict how far they will go, but a significant number of other teams seem more ready.

Note: And as we know...a lot of higher ranked teams have had struggles of their own.
-------------------------------------------

Nothing much has changed since De Paul...
Geno, the announcing crew, Kara in the studio and the HC all agree that more scoring is required from anyone not a senior and at this moment, it is not forthcoming.

I had hoped that Ines, finally getting some minutes, would have had a better game...She still gives the impression of being a competent BB player and I hope Geno gives her another chance.

This team desperately requires (at least one) additional scorer and a big, banger inside.

It's all on the menu for next season.
I do not have high expectations for the post-season
But will be delighted to be surprised.
" not a great team and certainly not a final-4 team."

As far as I am concerned, they are a final 4 team until someone proves otherwise. Are you on the right board?

Reaction Score
It was a good decision by Geno to sit Paige & Aaliyah in the second half in a game they were clearly going to win, no matter how ugly it appeared at times. Heading into postseason play, this isn't a juggernaut UConn that is expected to contend for a NC, but they have two players capable of carrying them far. How much further hinges on what UConn can get out of their 4 first-year players.

While we held our collective breath when Paige was clutching her knee on the floor, she appeared to be OK. It has been a challenge for her this season coming back after her long-term injuries. Early in the season, her stroke from 3-pt wasn't missing. However, since the Marquette since, she is 17-59 from 3-pt, or shooting less than 29%. That is a number far below her ability. For UConn to make noise in the tourney, her touch needs to reappear.

Fortunately, other aspects of her game are returning. An underrated aspect of Paige's game is her athletic ability. She's not fast like KK, but she had a quick first step that gave her separation from her defender. Another deceptive trait is her ability to elevate to get her shot off against those guarding her. Like others have posted, Paige is guaranteed for at least one "wow" moment per game. Last night was no different. Her misdirection move with the ball, leading up to her elevating and shooting the ball high off the glass was just plain filthy.

Her mid-range game is nearing vintage level and when she is determined to score, there are very few who can stop her. Every game watching Paige play in a UConn uniform is worth the price of admission.

I've posted a couple of times that it will take until next season to see Paige back at NPOY levels. She's getting close and after an offseason to physically recover & train, there will be little to stop her & UConn from reaching the mountain top again. Let's hope she has some Elite 8 NC St moments in her legs for this year's run.

Reaction Score
Super fast transcription of CD post game on radio:

Congrats on BE regular season champ/undefeated.

CD: Sometimes ... it's just expected. You really need to look back and appreciate what we done. Especially on our older guys. Happy proud of Nika, Paige, and AE and how the younger players stepped up. This probably more well-earned this year because of situation. Especially proud of our older players.

It's not easy to go through the season - there's illness (AE has been not feeling well for past 2 games) ankle sprains. Things you don't know about.

What can you say: Nika, AE, Paige

Really physical game. Don't know our defense could be any better in 1st. We were moving the ball get our shots. They hold and grab. Got out in transition. It's never been an easy place to play. Very physical.

3rd quarter - KK explode?

That's what we need. People are giving us wide open shots, we need to know those in. Hopefully get back to doing that (13 straight wins we did that)

AE Steals?

AE has done a great job, seeing the openings and take advantage of it. Still hesitant when goes end to end. (Laughs). She's better handling ball going full court.

Next step for AE?

More consistent 17' and then she should add 3-point shot. Been working on it, Needs to feel consistent so she's knock it in. Even with misses.

Lot of former players on coaching staff? How feel?

I feel old. (Laugh) It's always great. Kaili loves the game. Is a gym rat. Follow pros, ask about recruits. Especially important for this program 'cause trying to rebuild a program. Won games this year they probably weren't been expected to win.

Next: Providence or...Butler...

Butler? it's almost like we haven't played them is so long...
Appreciate this. I love getting insight from CD. Does she have a regular post-game conversation and on what radio/streaming service?

Reaction Score
First, I must say congratulations to the Huskies for going 18-0 in the conference.
Secondly, after a long, taxing, and tiring regular season, this group has a record of 26-5. Yes, some of the earlier games lost, could’ve/should‘ve been won, but I believe it made them a better group of young women. Is there more work to be done? Yes, especially when it comes to putting the ball in the basket, as well as more contributions from the younger players. Something has happened to their confidence, and that has to be rectified soon. But it’s possible that the team is sick (flu season), and we outsiders will never hear about it, because that’s not UConn‘s style.

I applaud the upper class men, especially Aaliyah and Paige, because both have taken a regular beating from the opponents in every game, and their bodies are sapped. And even when calls go against them, they handle the situations gracefully, which has reminded me, an adult, how to respond to adverse situations. Finally, I believe the break between now and Saturday will have everyone rejuvenated, and the restoration of the team’s energy will be evidenced in the post season.

Once again, congratulations to the team’s accomplishments!
Congratulations to Aaliyah, Paige and Nika for your continued leadership. You‘ve lead your team gracefully, respectfully, and with love. Best wishes for the rest of the season!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im glad Geno played everybody else in the 4th qtr. Paige Aaliyah and Nika got a much needed rest and everybody else got to play without them which means they were dependent on themselves. A lesson learned. We need more scorers. The 4th qtr did not show us that. Maybe it will be a wake up call for them to pick a spot on the floor and shoot 500 shots a day until they can confidently knock it down. You may think thats alot and tiering and it maybe be but thats what it will take in a short week and the following week. Next season will have scorers and shooters if healthy. Youve heard Geno mention what might have been. Well Azzi Caroline Jana Sara Strong Morgan Cheli and Allie Zeibel can all shoot and score and KK Ash and Q will be much improved. The rest of the roster is a wait and see in their comeback from injuries. What its been 3 years with the injury bug. Hard to believe. I am hoping that Strong commits and Aaliyah stays one more year. We need Aaliyah's experience and she needs another season to perfect her 17 footer and beyond plus it would be great to see Aaliyah Sara Jana and improve ICE and Yana playing with her. Next season we will lack experienced players because of those coming back from injury and those coming in as freshman. We will be very talented and dependent again on our experienced upper class man.

Coming up we will be dependent on Paige and Aaliyah to carry the scoring. Every team knows that which will make it harder and will also show everybody how good they are. We will have to wait to see who else steps up.

Reaction Score
Last two games...were the best I've seen this year as far as defense... especially on switches. More scoring would be great, but this type of defense will help extend their tournament run. Every player took the floor ready to put in work.

Reaction Score
No need to worry, she looks fine.
IMG_0627.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If anyone is interested, last night's game is currently on the Fox Sports App in the Replay section.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last two games...were the best I've seen this year as far as defense... especially on switches. More scoring would be great, but this type of defense will help extend their tournament run. Every player took the floor ready to put in work.
I was just logging in to say the same thing. I'd noticed last game that the switches appeared pretty good, so I watched last night with especial attention to just that. A month or two ago, it seemed like one defensive set out of four or five wound up with someone getting lost. Last night I didn't notice it more than once or twice among the starters. Q seems to have improved a lot, too. PC isn't a great offensive team, but still, 3 points in the second and 9 in the third didn't happen by accident -- UConn was REALLY locked in on defense. If that continues, they'll be better off in the postseason than many had thought.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Appreciate this. I love getting insight from CD. Does she have a regular post-game conversation and on what radio/streaming service?
Bob and Debbie to the radio broadcast on the Varsity Sports Network (Via the app). I love listening to them. End of game they often interview a player, go through the radio highlights, do a little analysis and, if the team isn't zipping home, usually have CD come by for 5-10 minutes of post-game discussion.

Reaction Score
It was disjointed play a lot of the game but I was thrilled the bench players got much more minutes than usual meaning Paige and Aaliyah got more time on the bench!
The first game for UConn in the BE Tournament Geno should do the same plan because Sunday & Monday will be tough, physical games!
Ironic that the basketball strategy for the next 3 games (in 3 days) will be more on keeping Nika, Paige and Aaliyah healthy than any play design or coaching moves. It's been scary here at the end of the regular season with Nika and Paige both suffering close calls on injuries. The game Saturday against Butler or Providence should be a win by a wide enough margin as to allow them some rest and the use of the bench without concern (even though yesterday's 4th quarter was brutal to watch). Playing at Mohegan is a plus so Game 2 on Sunday should also be a win (perhaps closer), but most likely necessitating lots of minutes from the big 3. Got to think Creighton will make the final and even though that we have beaten them twice, both teams will be fatigued and it will be a battle on Monday. If everyone playing, our best are better than their best and we should prevail. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Bob and Debbie to the radio broadcast on the Varsity Sports Network (Via the app). I love listening to them. End of game they often interview a player, go through the radio highlights, do a little analysis and, if the team isn't zipping home, usually have CD come by for 5-10 minutes of post-game discussion.
Always enjoyed CD’s interviews from WTIC-AM years ago on the way to work.

Kat

Reaction Score
Ironic that the basketball strategy for the next 3 games (in 3 days) will be more on keeping Nika, Paige and Aaliyah healthy than any play design or coaching moves. It's been scary here at the end of the regular season with Nika and Paige both suffering close calls on injuries. The game Saturday against Butler or Providence should be a win by a wide enough margin as to allow them some rest and the use of the bench without concern (even though yesterday's 4th quarter was brutal to watch). Playing at Mohegan is a plus so Game 2 on Sunday should also be a win (perhaps closer), but most likely necessitating lots of minutes from the big 3. Got to think Creighton will make the final and even though that we have beaten them twice, both teams will be fatigued and it will be a battle on Monday. If everyone playing, our best are better than their best and we should prevail. Go Huskies!
"...it will be a blowout on Monday."

FIFY

Reaction Score
Im glad Geno played everybody else in the 4th qtr. Paige Aaliyah and Nika got a much needed rest and everybody else got to play without them which means they were dependent on themselves. A lesson learned. We need more scorers. The 4th qtr did not show us that. Maybe it will be a wake up call for them to pick a spot on the floor and shoot 500 shots a day until they can confidently knock it down. You may think thats alot and tiering and it maybe be but thats what it will take in a short week and the following week. Next season will have scorers and shooters if healthy. Youve heard Geno mention what might have been. Well Azzi Caroline Jana Sara Strong Morgan Cheli and Allie Zeibel can all shoot and score and KK Ash and Q will be much improved. The rest of the roster is a wait and see in their comeback from injuries. What its been 3 years with the injury bug. Hard to believe. I am hoping that Strong commits and Aaliyah stays one more year. We need Aaliyah's experience and she needs another season to perfect her 17 footer and beyond plus it would be great to see Aaliyah Sara Jana and improve ICE and Yana playing with her. Next season we will lack experienced players because of those coming back from injury and those coming in as freshman. We will be very talented and dependent again on our experienced upper class man.

Coming up we will be dependent on Paige and Aaliyah to carry the scoring. Every team knows that which will make it harder and will also show everybody how good they are. We will have to wait to see who else steps up.
I don’t think Aaliyah and Strong can come. As I understand it, it’s either/or. We have only one slot available! If Aaliyah stays, that’s it, I believe!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
" not a great team and certainly not a final-4 team."

As far as I am concerned, they are a final 4 team until someone proves otherwise. Are you on the right board?
Skeets.

I appreciate fans that immerse themselves totally in UConn Blue, I'm a slightly different sort.

I've been a fan of beautiful basketball, the game I played in the schoolyard (or tried to) in the 50's and 60's...the game of Red Auerbach, Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman and Easy Ed...and the Knicks a few years later ...Clyde and Earl the Pearl, Dave and dollar Bill and Willis

And discovered that Geno is a follower of that style of play...and became a fan...been here ...not from the outset...but prior to the Maya Moore era...maybe 20+ years. Through great teams and lesser ones.

An intense fan, but a rational one. I calls it like my eyes tell me. Geno said something of the sort today...that in order for this team to progress far in the NCAA's would require exceptional play and luck...not his exact words

I think the board is big enough for a a few voices like mine...has been for years.

And your suggestion that I don't belong here is in my view, unwarranted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak