UConn - Providence post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Providence post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nitpicking: 7 of 31 from 3...shouldn't this be considered dreadful (I am being serious)
The Friars where annihilating us on the boards but we did close the gap
Feel really really bad for her...she must be having nightmares over her shooting woes these last 2 games. Who would have thought that the only player not scoring in the game would be her? Poor kid.

And I was amazed by Paige, when she was on the bench. One of the assistants handed her a Powerade after she sat down. I don't read lips, but I am pretty sure that Paige said "Thank you." Wow, what a great person she is.
Centerstream- - -Players should always treat the Managers with respect as they do so much dirty work behind the scenes!
UConn players always treat their managers well!

Reaction Score
KK Arnold is the closest comparison to Moriah Jefferson I've seen in a while. She is a PEST on defense, lightning quick and is learning to make good decision with the ball.

When this team presses, denies and traps it reminds me of the defensive UConn teams of old. Glad Geno has started trusting himself again and sticking to the rivers and lakes that he's used to: defense.

Ice Brady is getting comfortable. Her jumper, her passes, her defense. She is going to be the X factor come March.

Reaction Score
I noticed we play killer ball on both O and D until we make a substitution. It doesn't matter who goes out or who comes in, the communication or the "team" feeling tends to dwindle.
I'm not saying our subs arent any good. They are VERY good but it throws off the team chemistry just a tad. But we need to give our starters a breather and as the subs get more playing time with the starters I'm sure it will improve.
I too would like to see Ines get more time. Once she loosens up she does a good job.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
20 minutes for Aaliyah, 28 for Paige tonight
Tonight the Maestro was working on a few things...he recognizes that he is going to need Ice to be able to provide 15 to 20 productive minutes. Geno was also tinkering with Amari and Ines...he wants to see if he can get 5-8 solid minutes from them. Tonight Ines showed that she will be ready. Amari made progress those moves around the basket were exactly what she needed to be doing...the three-point shot?...not so much. Amari also has to be more present on defense...

Maybe Samuels has hit a wall on her offense...now she has to be very careful not to let her misses get into her head. She does need to shoot her way out but not forcefully. She needs to focus on defense and let the game come to her...it will and those shots will be there and she won't feel like she is forcing them up.

We as fans have to be realistic...we can't expect the starting five to go 35 minutes each night after night and expect the productivity to remain constant. This will become even more apparent when we get into the post season and we are playing better teams in a "one and done" scenario. We are going to need our reserves to be able to provide some solid minutes off the bench .

Reaction Score
Tonight the Maestro was working on a few things...he recognizes that he is going to need Ice to be able to provide 15 to 20 productive minutes. Geno was also tinkering with Amari and Ines...he wants to see if he can get 5-8 solid minutes from them. Tonight Ines showed that she will be ready. Amari made progress those moves around the basket were exactly what she needed to be doing...the three-point shot?...not so much. Amari also has to be more present on defense...

Maybe Samuels has hit a wall on her offense...now she has to be very careful not to let her misses get into her head. She does need to shoot her way out but not forcefully. She needs to focus on defense and let the game come to her...it will and those shots will be there and she won't feel like she is forcing them up.

We as fans have to be realistic...we can't expect the starting five to go 35 minutes each night after night and expect the productivity to remain constant. This will become even more apparent when we get into the post season and we are playing better teams in a "one and done" scenario. We are going to need our reserves to be able to provide some solid minutes off the bench .
Q needs to move a little faster on D. She’s not keeping up, and I suspect it’s affecting her confidence on offense.

Reaction Score
They continue to win the games that they should win. Yes the blossoming of Last Second Arnold and Ashlynn continues, and Brady seems to be finding herself. But most of the reaction to defeating a team that they clearly outclassed seems to fall into the category of irrational exuberance.

Reaction Score
Ayanna, Caroline and Azzi have not been with the team since mid Dec. Ayanna and Azzi had surgery (Azzi was at the Georgetown game) and last I heard CD was still having issues with crown noise, lights and other Concussion typre issues so she has been around the team, just not at games. Jana is there and always enthusiastic on the bench!

Yes I know. From Yannas instagram, she looks to be home. She also didn’t have her crutches. Azzi was also home and was shown during the Georgetown game.

Reaction Score
What a game!!!

Nika getting her double double. Her shot looks much better.

KK and Ash are amazing!!

Notice that Paige did not lead the team in scoring. This is a big plus.

Ice looking better and better every game.

Ines!!!!!!!!! Wow. Most impressive was the steal as she ran down the Providence player.

And finally Amari. Good to she some positives for on the court. Maybe, just maybe.
Do anyone remember the steal that INES had in last year's Marquette game when
she, again like last night, ran down the Marquette PG from behind, tipped the ball
ahead and grabbed the ball before it went over the end line.? Beautiful: speed and
dexterity. On the INES highlight tape from last year (just google: INES BETTENCOURT, Highlights)
you will see a shot of H. C. Meghan Duffy's chagrin at INES's Play ... just like last night against
the Friars! Go INES, speed and tenacity... it makes plays and helps win ballgames!

Reaction Score
Well that was a smackdown. We knew PC was overmatched, but still, you need to do "basketball things" and UConn did a LOT of basketball things.
  • 20 steals (KK with an eye-popping 8)
  • 25 assists
  • Only 8 turnovers
  • 27 and 31 points scored in Q's 1 and 3
  • Every starter in double figures scoring, Nika with an eye-popping 13 assists
Bottom line a nice game indeed - the only "black marks"... Meh 2nd quarter, Q going 0 for America this game, 17 team fouls and Ice with 4. But really minor stuff in a game everyone should feel good about.

Even Ines and Amari scoring 10 points between them. How great was that to see???!!!

UConn seemed like they could get whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted it. I'll leave it up to Geno in the film session to point out whatever he sees, but all around a pretty fun game.
Both played 9 minutes and had a combined 1 TO. That was a great stat and they did have points and a couple boards. The sign of a good team is how they play against bad teams and UConn played a really clean game and got the starters reasonable minutes (rest).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They continue to win the games that they should win. Yes the blossoming of Last Second Arnold and Ashlynn continues, and Brady seems to be finding herself. But most of the reaction to defeating a team that they clearly outclassed seems to fall into the category of irrational exuberance.
People aren’t exuberant because the Huskies beat a woeful Providence team, although many of us do remember the last time they played UConn won 64-54 with Dorka playing 38 minutes and Aubrey had to play 36. We’re celebrating:
  • The freshmen continue to play at a high level with no mental lapses or laziness even knowing they could have played half as hard and still have won easily. That’s an upperclassmen attitude- don’t underestimate or disrespect any opponent, maintain your play. Wowza, these kids are special
  • The defense was stifling and my beloved pressing and trapping defense just smothered Providence. The more the team can practice playing this type of defense, the better. It will be vital against bigger teams since guarding the ball is more effective than guarding a bigger player when the team is undersized
  • Amari and Ines played great games last night which let Geno rest Paige and Aaliyah. And Amari showed some of that talent we’ve been clamoring to see. Please, oh, please let this be the first step on her road to continued improvement. She could be so valuable and playing well against any team, even Providence, will give her confidence to move forward
  • Ines’s fine play could earn her time earlier in a game which would allow the Huskies to press All Game Long. Opponents would leave the court wondering what hit them
It was a glorified practice last night and with the exception of Q’s meeting the dreaded Freshman Wall, everyone played well

Reaction Score
Thats what we need to sustain the season. I'd like to see the same for Edwards so they stay fresh.
The biggest contribution from Ines and Amari will be their ability to provide 4th quarter minutes in wide margin of victory big east games. I expect to see them play most the 4th quarter to ensure our rotations minutes are capped.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think slowly Amari is beginning to figure it out that she is a post player, not a shooting guard. Once she buys into the fact that her niche is in the paint...she will become a very effect player.
One can hope. Frankly, though, her offense is #3 on my list of what i would like to see from her. What would help most would be rebounding at both ends and defense. I”m not sure she has the strength to hold off a very physical center, but shot blocking is pretty useful. I’m not quite ready to hold my breath. Ditto for Ines although she shows more to me from what you want from a point guard.

Reaction Score
Prediction: Qadence will be coached to focus more on "all the other little things." She's only an inch shorter than Aubrey. I think she's got potential athleticism like Aubrey's (I know comparisons are a bit futile) and could be a disrupter and a good rebounder... and then I think the shop will come alive stronger.

Reaction Score
Great game. Nice minutes by Ines and Amari. Gives both of them some confidence.

Our guard lineup is costing in rebounds. Not a problem now, but not sure what they will do against top competition. Guess we will find out.
Any team that takes 25 more shots is going to be out rebounded. It was a total non issue during the game.

Reaction Score
UConn has moved up to sixth in the Massey ratings after Baylor’s blowout loss to an unranked team. Their power rating is third, behind the two unbeaten teams.

Reaction Score
UConn has moved up to sixth in the Massey ratings after Baylor’s blowout loss to an unranked team. Their power rating is third, behind the two unbeaten teams.
And remember that UConn has beaten Kansas....

Reaction Score
We werent lookng to Aaliyah and Paige. We have alot of confidence and alot of energy Our freshman have stepped it up and Ines and Amari looked really good tonite Were gettin there. Never ever doubt Geno what he's done with this team is amazin

To me this is so important- everybody is contributing so the burden doesn't fall so heavily on Paige & AE. They (hopefully) will not be so worn down in March.

Very happy for Ines & Amari, they played very well and hopefully they will build on it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nitpicking: 7 of 31 from 3...shouldn't this be considered dreadful (I am being serious)
The Friars where annihilating us on the boards but we did close the gap
Feel really really bad for her...she must be having nightmares over her shooting woes these last 2 games. Who would have thought that the only player not scoring in the game would be her? Poor kid.

And I was amazed by Paige, when she was on the bench. One of the assistants handed her a Powerade after she sat down. I don't read lips, but I am pretty sure that Paige said "Thank you." Wow, what a great person she is.
Obviously I was referring to Qadence...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Centerstream- - -Players should always treat the Managers with respect as they do so much dirty work behind the scenes!
UConn players always treat their managers well!
I agree but in the middle of a game I could understand the players being a preoccupied at times.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think slowly Amari is beginning to figure it out that she is a post player, not a shooting guard. Once she buys into the fact that her niche is in the paint...she will become a very effect player.
I don't understand why so many BYers forget that Geno wants his post players to be able to score from outside. That way they can pull the opponent's post player away from the lane.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geno is not thrilled:

He’s paid to be not thrilled. On D they made Providence look like a high school team in the 1st quarter. He has to be totally thrilled with what this team has been doing.
20 minutes for Aaliyah, 28 for Paige tonight
Aaliyah had foul issues.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He’s paid to be not thrilled. On D they made Providence look like a high school team in the 1st quarter. He has to be totally thrilled with what this team has been doing.

Aaliyah had foul issues.
If the Huskies had played a stronger team, Aaliyah would have had more minutes regardless of the fouls. Amari was doing enough that it wasn’t necessary to put Aaliyah back in

Reaction Score
One major ingredient that Aubrey possessed more than anyone else on the floor was the ability to follow up on everyone's shot, including her own. She has an uncanny sense of where the ball is going to end up if it doesn't go in, and she makes a beeline for it, and jumps, too! It's split-second timing. I will miss watching this happen. But I do love this starting lineup.

Reaction Score
So glad to see Ines and Amari getting significant minutes and producing nicely. Having them on the court gives the starters valuable rest AND reduces the chances of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom