UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I have heard a few positive rumblings over the last few days. Keep your fingers crossed.
wonka.jpg

Reaction Score
UH has most assuredly been out in front of this entire process. They've been actively lobbying the B12 for years. President Khator is a very sharp, savvy woman. Under her leadership they elevated to Tier 1 status specifically to make the school more attractive to the B12. She has managed to get them a seat at B12 meetings and her donors and fanbase are well aware of what she's been doing to curry favor with B12 presidents. They also got President Gee of WVU, who chairs the expansion commitee, to visit their campus.

Recently they've benefited from the move UT is trying to make into Houston, which is why the politicians got involved because they owe Tillman Fertitta for his major campaign contributions, but Houston has been visibly working to get into the B12 for quite some time.

Yes, and we have taken actions as well over several years that have been documented here. I'm talking about public lobbying (i.e. through the media). And regardless, many were reporting that they were not a favorite until the governor's power play.

Reaction Score
A+ to @whaler11

A thoroughly enjoying read as football season slouches toward Bethlehem to be reborn and the only pulse quickening involves early september non-conference games and a November non-conference road trip. On the heels of that, the new hope that comes for every season - to win a title and go to a bowl game - which would mean the oddity of an AAC championship game in December.

The school seems to be spending like it has the cash flow of one of the high paying conferences, but isn't getting the income from the same revenue streams.

That doesn't seem like a good long term plan to me unless something is expected to change.

If the relationships have not been cultivated such that the next time there is a vote for inclusion in a high paying conference, that we have enough votes FROM THE VERY FEW WHO ACTUALLY VOTE?

Then that's a big F for the entire university administrative structure, with Suzie at the peak of the pile.

Reaction Score
Seriously. The big 12 is hanging 20 carrot sticks out there and it still may not expand? That would be the biggest F ing joke ever. Can we assume it is at least expanding by 2? And get we get some closure on the fact that no way UConn gets an invite, so I can move on to wondering wtf UConn is gonna do next? This is beyond awful.

Reaction Score
A+ to @whaler11

A thoroughly enjoying read as football season slouches toward Bethlehem to be reborn and the only pulse quickening involves early september non-conference games and a November non-conference road trip. On the heels of that, the new hope that comes for every season - to win a title and go to a bowl game - which would mean the oddity of an AAC championship game in December.

The school seems to be spending like it has the cash flow of one of the high paying conferences, but isn't getting the income from the same revenue streams.

That doesn't seem like a good long term plan to me unless something is expected to change.

If the relationships have not been cultivated such that the next time there is a vote for inclusion in a high paying conference, that we have enough votes FROM THE VERY FEW WHO ACTUALLY VOTE?

Then that's a big F for the entire university administrative structure, with Suzie at the peak of the pile.

You guys love to have certainty where it doesn't exist.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
how connected are the rumblings to the campus? Be a sport. You can be as vague as possible. Although I wouldn't blame you after seeing what happened to poor Skiblets.
Right, so @Scot-e was it someone in:

Pool A
Someone in or close to (booster) UConn Adim/AD
Big 12 President
TV Partner

Pool B
Credible Media Member
Any Other Credible Person with Direct Knowledge of the Situation/Negotiations.

Pool C
Car Wash Attendant
Any other Media Member

Pool D
West Virginia Hillbilly in their basement
Minnesota Fan with an imaginary friend

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Right, so @Scot-e was it someone in:

Pool A
Someone in or close to (booster) UConn Adim/AD
Big 12 President
TV Partner

Pool B
Credible Media Member
Any Other Credible Person with Direct Knowledge of the Situation/Negotiations.

Pool C
Car Wash Attendant
Any other Media Member

Pool D
West Virginia Hillbilly in their basement
Minnesota Fan with an imaginary friend

OR POOL E- Ramblin' Rich?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Actually I'm the one who is playing along with this line of thought.

Has anyone ever said that you communicate with the fanbase the same way as the university presidents? No? Good so you can save that same condesending tone that our illustrious bloggers use when talking down to us lowly message board types.

When you are being interviewed by the HARTFORD Courant - who is going to receive that message? Would that be UConn Nation or the Big 12 Presidents?

So you admit she can't communicate with us effectively - but you are sure she can communicate effectively with them? If you want to take that on blind faith that is your decision but why would you expect anyone else to make that leap?

I'll make this as clear as possible because many struggle with reading around here: They may be doing a great job selling the University behind the scenes. However, there is zero evidence of this - and the fact they hide from the FOIA means I (and others) do not have to give them the benefit of the doubt unless they deliver results.

I know my business acumen has been challenged by some posters recently but I've been in negotiations with hundreds of people who are savvier then your average university president. I find it baffling that I'm supposed to assume someone can sell UConn to the Big 12 but can't come up talking points for the frigging Hartford Courant. The latter is so much easier than the prior - but I guess that's trolling.
I've been a bit busy / checking in on the board a bit less the past day or two, but I just wanted to reiterate one quick point. A year ago we were something like #9 on a list of potential Big12 teams (according to national and Big 12 country sportswriters and people who follow CR). Today, we are more or less in a good spot to get in as #3 or #4. What is completely unknown, and what there has been a lot of back and forth going on through strategically leaks to the media, is whether the Big 12 will do what Boren probably prefers which is expand by four, or do what ESPN wants which is expand by zero, or compromise and expand by two. Obviously, if they expand by less than four it's bad for UConn, period. But that does NOT mean there is "zero evidence". The fact that UConn is today widely regarded as #3 or #4 IS evidence that the leadership is selling the University behind the scenes.

What people want to talk about is the public statements which is fine. In politics they call it optics. Reporters who live in TV studios and have never seen the inside of a legislative chamber or courtroom or policy think tank love to talk about optics, because it's easy. Optics does influence policy, perceptions, and things like public opinion in politics and in sports.

But with reference to CR, let's be clear - the outcome (for UConn) will be entirely determined by whether the Big 12 feels comfortable screwing their TV partners over for a billion dollars, that's the biggest factor in the equation for UConn, bar none. It outweighs lobbying and presentations and networking (oh yeah, there was also evidence of that with KSU's president) .

Reaction Score
Is Uconn possibly #3 or #4 because of the administration or the competition? None of the schools being considered, other than BYU would have even been considered a peer of Uconn 5 years ago. Somehow "city" schools with limited reach outside of their own city have surpassed a flagship state university that has been far more successful. I guess I'm just not ready to pat them on back because we're now in a dogfight with USF and UCF. Memphis needed multiple Big East implosions or they would be prepping for another year in Conference USA.

Reaction Score
One observation. Universities like Houston, Cincy, Memphis are large public research universities. I think some folks consider them smaller city schools because of their names. They may not have the state following because they are all in states which have even larger flagship universities, but I would not sell short their followings.

Reaction Score
One observation. Universities like Houston, Cincy, Memphis are large public research universities. I think some folks consider them smaller city schools because of their names. They may not have the state following because they are all in states which have even larger flagship universities, but I would not sell short their followings.
The fact you mention Memphis in the same breath as Cincy and Houston is laughable! That school is a borderline Community College academic wise compared to the other 2!

Reaction Score

That's true of UH and Cincy, but not really Memphis. And size does not equal fan following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom