UConn Player Rosters from 1995 to 2015 | The Boneyard

UConn Player Rosters from 1995 to 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that we can relax for a few days and enjoy what the team has accomplished thus far, I thought that it might be interesting to see how the program has evolved since the first chanpionship year in 1995. Attached is an Excel spreadsheet showing the team rosters for the years 1994-5 to 2014-15. Each player gets her own line (row) so the effect is to create a waterfall that shows the evolution of the team, i.e. the transition from year to year.

The years (column titles) in which UConn won the NC are highlighted in blue and the years in which UT won the title (since 1995) are shown in orange. In addition, the name of the Naismith NPOY is highlighted in gray and the players on the AP All America team are highlighted in yellow. The name is followed by a (1), (2) or (3) to indicated first, second or third team.

Inaccuracies are possible due to walk-ons, transfers and red-shirts. Some inaccuracies could perhaps have been avoided by checking the names in the spreadsheet against the list of players earning a letter each year that appears in the media guide at uconnhuskies.com. But, I did not do that.

Attachments

• UConnRoster_1995to2015.xls
    15 KB · Views: 438

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
That one's a keeper. Thanks for doing this...

Reaction Score
Fascinating graphic. Thanks for putting in the time/effort on that.

A few things jump out:

- It is amazing that we did not win more in the mid-late 90's, given the talent we had at the top (Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales)
- It is incredible that for as stacked as our 2001 team was, we did not have a 1st team AA
- It is hard to believe that D did not make an AA team in 2002
- It is really evident why we had such a sharp downturn in the mid-2000's: the classes of 2001 through 2004 combined for a big fat goose egg of AA honors [specifically, Ann Strother and Charde Houston were supposed to be the superstars to bridge between D and Maya, and they never fulfilled those expectations]; only 1995, 1999, 2009, and likely to be 2013 also failed to produce an AA
- It is downright insane that Maya was 1st team AA all 4 years; that will never be duplicated
- It is remarkable that our 2012 team went as far as it did with no player better than 3rd team AA; a testament to coaching
- It is disappointing, but not unexpected, that Kelly Faris never made an AA team

- We have never failed to win the championship when we have had 3 AA's, as we do this year

Reaction Score

A few things jump out:

- It is amazing that we did not win more in the mid-late 90's, given the talent we had at the top (Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales)
- It is incredible that for as stacked as our 2001 team was, we did not have a 1st team AA
- It is really evident why we had such a sharp downturn in the mid-2000's: the classes of 2001 through 2004 combined for a big fat goose egg of AA honors [specifically, Ann Strother and Charde Houston were supposed to be the superstars to bridge between D and Maya, and they never fulfilled those expectations]; only 1995, 1999, 2009, and likely to be 2013 also failed to produce an AA
- It is downright insane that Maya was 1st team AA all 4 years; that will never be duplicated
- It is remarkable that our 2012 team went as far as it did with no player better than 3rd team AA; a testament to coaching
- It is disappointing, but not unexpected, that Kelly Faris never made an AA team

- We have never failed to win the championship when we have had 3 AA's, as we do this year
Nice set of observations Tenspro. Even with Geno's coaching, you need the best players to have a good chance to win the National Championship.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Nice, Few typo notes from an ex-copy chief, it's Courtney Gaine rather than Courthey and she should be added in for her senior 1998-99 season, and Willnett Crockett has three double consonants, including that first "l".

The trouble with making judgments on the achievements of a team by looking at a roster in isolation is that you lose the context of the times they played in, especially regarding injuries and the strength of the top team(s) they faced. Nykesha Sales ACL in 1998, Shea Ralph ACL near end of 1997 and missing 1998, Sue Bird out in 1999 are three big injuries that tore up the late 1990s. In addition, they were eliminated in 1996 in an FF OT and in 1997 by a UTenn team that was just better at Tournament time during a three-year NC run and had a couple of the nation's top players. Anne Strother and Barb Turner were top-level players who helped drive two UConn teams to NCs when they had a NPOY to work behind, but without that key piece the seasons of their junior and senior years came up much shorter. But getting Charles and Montgomery for 2006-07 started the turnaround, and UConn has never really looked back.

Reaction Score
Thanks DobbsRover for finding the typos. I knew that there must be some in there. They have been corrected and Courtney Gaine was given credit for her senior year. (I checked the year by year rosters and there she was. This would also be a method for extending the chart back to the very beginning, i.e., 1985.) More serious is the fact that I attributed a second team AA to Tamika Williams rather than Diana Taurasi in 2001-2002. This has also been corrected in the reloaded file.

And Tenspro, I noticed that in 2007-2008, which was Maya Moore's freshman year, UConn had three AAs (Montgomery, Charles and Moore) but failed to win the NC. Let's hope that this year's 3 AAs can bring home the title.

Attachments

• UConnRoster_1995to2015_2.xls
    15 KB · Views: 148
Reaction Score
Great info! Thanks for creating & sharing. My only update would be to freeze the top row so that you can see the years as you scroll down thru the teams. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

A few things jump out:

Diana was WBCA AA in 2002.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thanks DobbsRover for finding the typos. I knew that there must be some in there. They have been corrected and Courtney Gaine was given credit for her senior year. (I checked the year by year rosters and there she was. This would also be a method for extending the chart back to the very beginning, i.e., 1985.) More serious is the fact that I attributed a second team AA to Tamika Williams rather than Diana Taurasi in 2001-2002. This has also been corrected in the reloaded file.

And Tenspro, I noticed that in 2007-2008, which was Maya Moore's freshman year, UConn had three AAs (Montgomery, Charles and Moore) but failed to win the NC. Let's hope that this year's 3 AAs can bring home the title.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the scans of the final typed out stat records that show the full roster for each NCAA era year are available for all teams on the NCAA records site. UConn's list of years going back to 1981-82 can be accessed by just selecting "UConn," "All" "Women's Basketball" and "I" from the right side menu. Career stats for players can be found by using the left menu. It's a little clunky since every time I back out of a year I have to back through the "Document Expired" message and hit the Search button on the right side to redisplay the list of years, but still much easier for old year-to-year results than trying to put them together from the UConn media guide. This does not include AIAW years.

Yeah, kind of thought DT got some recognition in 2002 also. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now that we can relax for a few days and enjoy what the team has accomplished thus far, I thought that it might be interesting to see how the program has evolved since the first chanpionship year in 1995. Attached is an Excel spreadsheet showing the team rosters for the years 1994-5 to 2014-15. Each player gets her own line (row) so the effect is to create a waterfall that shows the evolution of the team, i.e. the transition from year to year.

The years (column titles) in which UConn won the NC are highlighted in blue and the years in which UT won the title (since 1995) are shown in orange. In addition, the name of the Naismith NPOY is highlighted in gray and the players on the AP All America team are highlighted in yellow. The name is followed by a (1), (2) or (3) to indicated first, second or third team.

Inaccuracies are possible due to walk-ons, transfers and red-shirts. Some inaccuracies could perhaps have been avoided by checking the names in the spreadsheet against the list of players earning a letter each year that appears in the media guide at uconnhuskies.com. But, I did not do that.
I have something similar, (list of the roster and class for each year) but not in Excel form cascading.

I have Tammy Arnold playing 2 years before she left. 95/96 and 96/97. Marci Glenney played 2 years also 97/98 and 98/99. Same with Tihana Abrlic.

Reaction Score
Great information. I have the following observations:

1. No matter how few games a player has played, she is on the list -- e.g. Kristen Phillips, Sadie Edwards.

2. A transferred player is not listed before she is eligible to play, even though she is on the roster -- e.g. Jessica McCormack; Natalie Butler.

3. A red-shirt player is listed if she has played a few games in that season -- Shea Ralph, Sue Bird, etc., etc..

4. A red-shirt player is not listed if she did not play any games in that season -- Keirsten Walters.

5. A player did not make it through the Summer School does not count -- Kia Wright, EDD.

6. Forecasting the future team, only those who had played are counted -- e.g. no commits, no transferred Player (Natalie Butler); and Tuck is in for her 5th year.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the scans of the final typed out stat records that show the full roster for each NCAA era year are available for all teams on the NCAA records site. UConn's list of years going back to 1981-82 can be accessed by just selecting "UConn," "All" "Women's Basketball" and "I" from the right side menu. Career stats for players can be found by using the left menu. It's a little clunky since every time I back out of a year I have to back through the "Document Expired" message and hit the Search button on the right side to redisplay the list of years, but still much easier for old year-to-year results than trying to put them together from the UConn media guide. This does not include AIAW years.

Yeah, kind of thought DT got some recognition in 2002 also. ;)
Thanks DobbsRover. I knew about the NCAA site from a previous thread, but find it when I needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom