UConn Passing Attempts vs. NCST | The Boneyard

UConn Passing Attempts vs. NCST

What percentage of UConn's plays from scrimmage vs. NCST will be passing attempts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
What is your expectation vs. NCST for UConn passing attempts as a percentage of total plays from scrimmage? (Given what are presumed to be upgrades in all enabling aspects of the passing game.)

Reaction Score
We're definitely going to run the damn ball.. With 4 solid RBs and an outstanding line, look for it early and often. Its been said but IMO the main reason Fagnano is the starter is to make smart decisions and manage the game. Let the run game do the talking.

Expect the majority of the passing game to be short quick passes to WR group. I'm thinking 30-40%.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I still see this as a control the clock kind of game and shorten the game length by running the ball and being opportunistic with passing. I'll expect 20-25 pass attempts with about 160-175 yards.

I would also love to see Fagnano put up 40 passes, complete 25 of them, throw for 275 and a couple of TD's. I just don't see that happening in game one against NCST.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I still see this as a control the clock kind of game and shorten the game length by running the ball and being opportunistic with passing. I'll expect 20-25 pass attempts with about 160-175 yards.

I would also love to see Fagnano put up 40 passes, complete 25 of them, throw for 275 and a couple of TD's. I just don't see that happening in game one against NCST.
It depends how confident they are in Fagnano. If they trust Fagnano...they should be aggressive offensively to catch NC St off balance and take advantage of their home field advantage.

The conservative approach....the Edsall approach...would be to go run heavy on offense...shorten the game...hope defense and specials get you points...and hope that by the end of the game you are close and can eek out a win. And minimally you have a close loss to a good team.

I think they will be aggressive...and it will be at least 50% pass.

Reaction Score
Upgrades or not we favor a balanced offense and the more we run the ball, the more likely we are to win.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ideally early on we will lean slightly more passing than running but as the game moves on we move towards running the ball more.

If we can pull this off, we'll keep their defense off balance, making it easier to both run and pass throughout the game and the desired fourth quarter scenario will be running the ball to shorten the game while protecting the lead.

What I don't want to see is us throwing the ball because we have to in order to try to cut into their lead.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'll be happy if we run it down their throats; I just don't want to see us running because we're afraid to pass. Run to win, not to shorten the game. Hopefully, we can make them pay for loading the box.

Reaction Score
NC State runs a 3-3-5, for that reason and the others mentioned above I would expect for us to be run heavy in game 1.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It depends how confident they are in Fagnano. If they trust Fagnano...they should be aggressive offensively to catch NC St off balance and take advantage of their home field advantage.

The conservative approach....the Edsall approach...would be to go run heavy on offense...shorten the game...hope defense and specials get you points...and hope that by the end of the game you are close and can eek out a win. And minimally you have a close loss to a good team.

I think they will be aggressive...and it will be at least 50% pass.
Ideally early on we will lean slightly more passing than running but as the game moves on we move towards running the ball more.

If we can pull this off, we'll keep their defense off balance, making it easier to both run and pass throughout the game and the desired fourth quarter scenario will be running the ball to shorten the game while protecting the lead.

What I don't want to see is us throwing the ball because we have to in order to try to cut into their lead.
I'll be happy if we run it down their throats; I just don't want to see us running because we're afraid to pass. Run to win, not to shorten the game. Hopefully, we can make them pay for loading the box.

This is where I am. I want to run because we are confident when we run, not because we are afraid to pass.

I'm more interested in the variety of passes and routes than I am total passes. I want dynamic passes and I want receivers who fight for the catches.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
run 55/45 pass certainly think we're going to run the ball more but that passing game will be more involved this season, especially the tight ends, those tight ends are going to have a pretty good season.

Reaction Score
Let's take what the defense gives us. I love a power running game but if we find a weakness in the pass defense, exploit it.
Their secondary looks a bit inexperienced for a P5. I'm thinking take a shot on the first play from scrimmage just to see what they've got.

Reaction Score
Had 7 three and outs last year against NCS, mix it up and get 1st downs. No low % passes when need few yards for 1st down, no completions short of 1st down on 3rd down, 4th and short go for it. Make NCS play the whole field on defense and RPO (Fagnano is experienced and big enough to pull it off and have some serious speed at RB).

Reaction Score
Got to ground and pound New England football style with a nice pass mix to keep the defense defending every inch of the field. Feeling good about this. Score first and we are on our way.

Reaction Score
I’d love the first play to be a play action pass—.just as long as it’s not a bubble screen, Don’t be surprised if we play up tempo in the first half with several downfield shots. Once we get the lead we’ll become more run dominant.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I’d love the first play to be a play action pass—.just as long as it’s not a bubble screen, Don’t be surprised if we play up tempo in the first half with several downfield shots. Once we get the lead we’ll become more run dominant.
To me if you want to be aggressive and knock a good team off balance, this is what you do. But... again...you really have to trust the QB.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
To me if you want to be aggressive and knock a good team off balance, this is what you do. But... again...you really have to trust the QB.
... and the defense. In short, you have to feel like you have some margin to accept a little risk. We haven't been there in a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom