UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
I wonder if even a modestly successful season would have encouraged some guys to stick around, or if these are all 100% NIL-based transfers no matter what our record was. IMO, as soon as the PAT got blocked against Utah State and we became 0-5, the rest of the season effectively became a 7-week audition for larger programs to poach the remaining talent.

Reaction Score
I wonder if even a modestly successful season would have encouraged some guys to stick around, or if these are all 100% NIL-based transfers no matter what our record was. IMO, as soon as the PAT got blocked against Utah State and we became 0-5, the rest of the season effectively became a 7-week audition for larger programs to poach the remaining talent.
Nope. They were all gonna leave if someone wants them.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I may try Trinity football next year.
17 - 1 last 2 years. Score about 45 points per game.
No Tickets. Free. Just show up and take a seat.
My “little” cousin just wrapped up his playing career there… I have been attending Trinity games on weekends that UConn is away, and I love it!

The tailgating is about a hundred yards from the gate. At halftime, you can walk out and fire up the grill for some quick burgers/dogs/beers between halfs… it’s an awesome experience!

Reaction Score
If D'Amelio was talking to JJ as someone mentioned here, and still couldn't convince him to stay, seems we could be in a bigger hole than even Mora assumes.

Pretty sure Joly going into the portal is what set Mora off a few weeks ago.

Joly has been getting hounded by Tennessee fans on Twitter for a while.

Tampering for sure.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
What is the back story here? Sorry if I missed it. I see a ton of comments on this Insta from TN fans…
When the Huskies went down to Knoxville, they got absolutely beat all around and Joly was about the only one to have a good game/look like he belonged on the field with the Vols.

Reaction Score
Joly is a tough one to swallow. With Haynes and Mitchell graduating, there’s really just a lack of true raw talent on the team currently. I hope we’re able to plug some holes in the portal but it’s going to be a blood bath.

Reaction Score
I know they get paid a lot of money, but I don't know how coaches get juiced up for recruiting any more when they know full well maybe up to 50% or more of the players they sign are not going to stay with the program. Especially at UConn. If a player has even a moderate amount of success, they can jump in the portal, get paid, and perhaps move on to a P4 program. Hypothetical - Wellliver comes here, earns the starting nod at QB and has a great year. He ain't sticking around if the P4's start sniffing and waiving the $$$.

Reaction Score
I know they get paid a lot of money, but I don't know how coaches get juiced up for recruiting any more when they know full well maybe up to 50% or more of the players they sign are not going to stay with the program. Especially at UConn. If a player has even a moderate amount of success, they can jump in the portal, get paid, and perhaps move on to a P4 program. Hypothetical - Wellliver comes here, earns the starting nod at QB and has a great year. He ain't sticking around if the P4's start sniffing and waiving the $$$.
I'm already thinking about which he'll transfer to after his slightly above average true freshman season for us

Reaction Score
Change our recruiting approach. Don’t sell them on NFL or NIL. Sell them on the playing time to get NIL bags via the portal. In the era of NIL and the transfer portal this is what the uconn program will always be - even if we go P4. Might as well embrace and maximize it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It is free agency every year. You develop players for other places. The roster gets picked clean every year. We have to assume we are guy g to lose every good player with eligibly left. There is no more 4year players.
It's basically become minor league level football for the bigger conferences. Develop kids, they have a great season, then throw big money at them and poof, their gone and we're left with nothing. I don't think any amount of money would have kept him from going to a SEC program where he will likely get PT. The exposure alone is worth it. The money doesn't hurt either!

It's getting ridiculous that you almost don't want a kid to get too good because you know they won't be here the following season....just not the way it should be.

It does support the idea that you need to nail the transfer market for a team like us. Losing your best players every year makes it vital to restock with similar players who are talented or to have a stockpile waiting.

Reaction Score
A few hundred thousand dollars in NIL money just not going to move the UConn football needle. That money should be spread around to mens, women's BB and some Olympic sports. That is the new reality in D1 sports- more specifically football

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I no longer know what we're chasing,
Me either, but it has to be something. Competency? Fielding a team that's entertaining to watch?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom