UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I may be tapping out on college football. I love my Huskies but we are chasing an impossible dream without a decent conference affiliation (nothing lower than ACC), NLI money making it impossible to get the players we need, and the portal with kids leaving as soon as they would like more playing time or more money. I don't begrudge any of these kids getting paid but it makes keeping a team and building next to impossible. College football is an almost impossible product to watch and get behind anymore. Never thought I would say this but I no longer think that our current situation is sustainable beyond the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
Probably a smart move for him. His parents flew in for every game from California, both while he was on the bench as a backup to Brian Keating and when he finally became a starter. Great family. My guess is he heads closer to home.

Also, Matt Rhule's comment:
"Make no mistake: a good quarterback in the portal costs $1 million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now."

That's why U Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke, (with what has been called an "NFL arm") is going to get $1M from either ND, an SEC team or one out West. What can we offer this hometown kid?
We can't offer him anything

Reaction Score
I may be tapping out on college football. I love my Huskies but we are chasing an impossible dream without a decent conference affiliation (nothing lower than ACC), NLI money making it impossible to get the players we need, and the portal with kids leaving as soon as they would like more playing time or more money. I don't begrudge any of these kids getting paid but it makes keeping a team and building next to impossible. College football is an almost impossible product to watch and get behind anymore. Never thought I would say this but I no longer think that our current situation is sustainable beyond the next 4 years.
Agree that the situation is awful but I don’t really see a problem with us joining a G5. Plenty of schools are successful at it right now and if you do well, you get invited to the big boys.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thank God for tailgates!!!!!
Tailgating was fun back in the Yankee Conference days. For me, it's the whole reason for going.

I no longer know what we're chasing, except for money. We're not chasing a BCS championship.

Happy to see where this all leads, but growing concern it's just throwing good money after bad.

Reaction Score
Tailgating was fun back in the Yankee Conference days. For me, it's the whole reason for going.

I no longer know what we're chasing, except for money. We're not chasing a BCS championship.

Happy to see where this all leads, but growing concern it's just throwing good money after bad.

It was even more fun during the Big East days.

Reaction Score
WARNING: The following is a topic that nobody probably cares about. Read at your own risk.

I understand the grad transfers and the few who will make a career out of playing professional football, but do you think any of the undergraduates consider the academic implications of these transfers? Do you think any of them do a risk/reward analysis to determine the cost/benefit of receiving a high-quality education or are they solely making a decision based on football and NIL? Asking for a friend….
My guess is they are going after the biggest bag. Some probably take school into account, but mostly it is $$$ first and PT balance with education a distant third.

Anyhow, on NIL, instead of having controlled Free Agency, Charlie Finley said allow every player every year to be a free agent.

Eventually, you will see the market settle. This is what the college football fans/media wanted. They wanted to see players have power and get money. Now its an issue? I blame the coaches and their ridiculous salaries for this.

Reaction Score
why is it sustainable for anyone else then? Deleware just paid $5 million to move up. You think they doing that to lose their shirt?

Reaction Score
I wish UConn had someone in place that could be leader in getting a conference going with the eastern teams and the academies. Not saying move BB there, before anyone has a heart attack.
First you'd need the NCAA to change their rules. Until then, it'll be a pipe dream

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Marion was a decent outside receiver before he got hurt last year. I would argue that he would have been an upgrade in the receiver room. Turner was a catch and go type inside receiver who had better skills than anybody other receiver on our team to run those receiver screens that everyone hated on the boneyard. I think they would have made our passing attack better this year but not by any large margin.

Marion would have been a significant improvement. Was never a big fan of Turner. Really good with the ball in his hands but he had alligator arms and really only caught swing passes.

Reaction Score
First you'd need the NCAA to change their rules. Until then, it'll be a pipe dream
Make it an all sports conference. What do temple and others lose from playing there? Our BB is another level, but these eastern schools traveling all over the country for crap tv money is insanity.

Reactions: OEX
Reaction Score
I wish UConn had someone in place that could be leader in getting a conference going with the eastern teams and the academies. Not saying move BB there, before anyone has a heart attack.

Yeah. The BB fans get bent out of shape fast.

Reaction Score
It was even more fun during the Big East days.
And sadly, those days are likely never coming back. It was fun. So was the Rhode Island game, though, despite the fact that UConn had zero defense.

Reaction Score
If I could have one wish it would be for Mora to stop recruiting kids from Canadian prep schools. I have yet to see that strategy work consistently where basketball isn't concerned.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
why is it sustainable for anyone else then? Deleware just paid $5 million to move up. You think they doing that to lose their shirt?
It's not financially sustainable for any school save a select few. So you're starting with a bad premise.

The reasons for continuing FBS football programs despite them consistently running at a loss w/o outside injections of money is simply public perception. And I'm wondering if that's going to continue to be the case. I think for many schools who try to compete in NIL $ but don't bring at least semi-regular appearances in conference championship game, it's gonna eventually backfire.

Reaction Score
UD has just spent 125MM to upgrade the football stadium and build an athletics center to not play Monmouth, Campell and the Bryants in the conference. Their 48MM athletic budget is subsidized 42MM by the university. They lost 3500 seats to the upgrade, now 18500 seats. UD is a school that includes facilities maintenance in the AD budget.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom